Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Touring Plans Redux - "BluePrints"

Touring Plans Redux - "BluePrints"

All right, so I'm finally doing what needs to be done rather than just going to the theme parks and eating (more or less).

This is the current format for the easyWDW version of the touring plans, now dubbed "BluePrints." I can't decide if this is extremely corny or not. It strikes me as corny, but also as "next level" at the same time.

Here is an example file: http://www.easywdw.com/hs_adult_oneday_standard.pdf

You should be able to view it in your browser. If not, try right clicking and selecting "save as" and then opening it from your computer.

We have a few things going here, so let me briefly explain. First, the map used is now the "custom map" that you'll only find on this site unless someone steals it. The map is color coded in a few different ways. First, the "red attractions" are those that are most time sensitive and ones I recommend visiting in the first hour of operation or with FASTPASS later in the day. The "yellow attractions" are less time sensitive and should be visited in the first two hours of operation or near the end of the day. When crowds are lower, some of these yellow attractions can become "green attractions." "Green attractions" are those that can be experienced with minimal waits at any time of day. You'll also see "blue buildings" which indicate that it's a large shop. "Pink Buildings" are major Quick Service locations. "Purple Buildings" are table service restaurants. "Grey buildings" are just sort of there. The idea here is that you can quickly look at your map and find out what attractions you should be able to visit at any part of the day. I guess we could theoretically change Star Tours 3D to yellow here before moving forward, but red works too. All of this is in the map key on the lower left.

The simple attraction list is located to the left, if you're quickly wondering what one of the numbers is referencing. You'll also see the numbered attractions in order on the map portion. I feel like it can be difficult at times to find the "3" if you're looking for it, but hopefully once you familiarize yourself with where everything is you can look to the list of attractions and quickly spot it.

The second page is also the list of attractions in order. Each one has a dropdown menu that you'll notice to the right. This is used for easily switching between attractions if you want switch something out. You can also see what other attractions are available to put in that spot. Currently, switching the attractions does not move the numbers. As far as I know, this is not possible from within Acrobat. In the future, there may be a web based version where the numbers will move. This is planned in version 3.0.

There are two versions of the lines here. The most common looks like this:

Rock 'N' Roller Coaster - 90 Seconds (50 +/- 20)

This means that Rock 'N' Roller Coaster is 90 seconds long and has an average afternoon peak wait time of 50 minutes, plus or minus 20 minutes, or 30 to 70 minutes on any given day. It's mostly just to give you an idea of the peak wait time to expect based on various crowd levels.

You'll also see something like this with "Obtain FASTPASS" at the end:

Star Tours - 19 Minutes - Obtain FASTPASS

The 19 Minutes here is the average time it takes to complete the attraction with FASTPASS and arrive back at the attraction entrance. This should give you a better idea about how much time to budget if you're planning another ride with FASTPASS instead of another attraction.

After that, there's a brief explanation of who the BluePrint is for and various other notes about how to customize it or change it to fit your particular needs.

After that, there's additional instructions about where things are so that you have a better idea about how to get around the Park. This will be more helpful for those who are unfamiliar with the Park, but it also has a few notes about why we're doing the things we're doing and notes specific show times.

This is more or less the format I envisioned and I'm pretty happy with it, but I'd like to hear your feedback. The biggest problem is going to be explaining the whole thing to people because it does take a minute to understand what it is you're looking at. I imagine some people will also have problems figuring out Adobe Acrobat, zooming in to see the map better, printing it etc.

Anyway, let me know what you think. I'm fragile, but want to improve things as best I can.

Peanut butter is yummy.
    At first quick glance- I like it a lot!!!

I have a few concerns about some of the timing (but that's just me- I happen to think time gets away from you at DHS no matter how well you think you have it planned, so a show or 2 might be a bit of a squeeze to get to and get seats!) but other than that- the attraction order is fine.

Map is gorgeous.
    Text/touring instructions are clear
    Drop down thingie is way cool
    Lots of info packed into just 1 plan

This is planned in version 3.0.
    Oh sure it is.

Super job Josh!

Craig's Photography Understudy
    Awesome job, Josh! Looks great to me. Love the color-coded map, and the drop-down page is way cool. Thanks!!!

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case vatmark's Avatar
    Nice! You did a great job Josh!

Ann

I really like this! The map is very clear and would be really easy to use. I could easily see printing this to take into the park.

I would suggest moving the color coded legend to the top left or right. It looks a little cramped in bottom left with the attraction list so close. That could also just the way I am view the document.

Have you thought about adding a watermark to your PDF documents? It might change the appearance to much for your liking, but would make it hard for someone steal it and not give you credit.

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Very nice!! I really like it and you did a great job on it!

I noticed a typographical error on #10 -
    Lights, Motors, Action! Stunt Show - 33 minutes ((11:00am), 1:20pm & 4:30pm)
    you've got an extra "(" in there!

The other thing I noticed is you use the term "BluePrint" and "Print" interchangably. I work in the legal field and one thing we do in any type of legal document is to make sure that terms or names are consistent. Using "BluePrint" as an example, if the term/name "BluePrint" was in a document I'd say: "BluePrint (hereinafter referred to as "Print")". Not that you should do that...just saying maybe for consistency use one term. I know most people will get that "BluePrint" and "Print" are the same thing but it's just habit for me to notice this stuff.

ETA: You really do need to try to protect your work product as all the hard work is proprietary to you and this website. You don't have to actually file for copyright protection. You can use the Circle C (can't find the symbol on my keyboard) 2011 easyWDW.com All rights reserved.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Josh, that is AMAZING!!!!!!!!
    I didn't even bother reading what you wrote above (yet), I just looked at the Blueprint and was blown away.

Awesome job!
    Janine

I hope it doesn't read like a legal document. "Print" is more casual and I still haven't decided if BluePrint sounds stupid. I just figured it's like "touring plan" where occasionally you might call it "the touring plan" and other times it might just be "the plan." I forgot to mention, if you see something like Lights, Motors, Action! Stunt Show - 33 minutes ((11:00am), 1:20pm & 4:30pm) with parentheses inside of parentheses, it means that the show in parentheses isn't necessarily scheduled all the time. I think only one or two days this week there's an 11am Lights, Motors show. The same is true for Indiana Jones where the 6:45pm show is in parentheses - it isn't always scheduled and won't be if Disney returns to 9am - 7pm operating hours more often. I was hoping it would sort of "future proof" them so I don't have to make major edits.

Moving the legend is a good idea and it occurred to me that I could add the proper showtime in the list on the left too.

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I hope it doesn't read like a legal document. "Print" is more casual and I still haven't decided if BluePrint sounds stupid. I just figured it's like "touring plan" where occasionally you might call it "the touring plan" and other times it might just be "the plan." I forgot to mention, if you see something like Lights, Motors, Action! Stunt Show - 33 minutes ((11:00am), 1:20pm & 4:30pm) with parentheses inside of parentheses, it means that the show in parentheses isn't necessarily scheduled all the time. I think only one or two days this week there's an 11am Lights, Motors show. The same is true for Indiana Jones where the 6:45pm show is in parentheses - it isn't always scheduled and won't be if Disney returns to 9am - 7pm operating hours more often. I was hoping it would sort of "future proof" them so I don't have to make major edits.
    No...not at all! Like I said...it's just something that jumps out at me. I get where you're coming from.

Ahhh...didn't realize that about the shows.

Just ignore that person behind the curtain then!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

I'm glad you took the time to look over it and there's no way you would know about the parentheses thing since I forgot to mention that. You're probably right if "BluePrint" was trademarked or something that it's what I would want to use. I'll have to think with my brain about the name. But it's the "best" thing I've come up with so far.

Talking

WOW!!! I really love the format and changeable drop down boxes!! Very Nice work Josh!! Thank you for this and really the whole site!! Also I see you are on the fence with the "Blueprint" naming. How about "Josh's Interchangeable Tour"...JIT for short. I have some others as well but wanted to post one at a time.

I like it, from the brief glance I took at it. I'll sit down later and read it more thoroughly - but I found it very easy to follow.
    Lisa

double fisting mickey ice cream bars and germany pretzels
    Fantastic work. I would title the map but other than that very helpful and usable. I like the editable tour plans. When is all this great work going to cost me money??!!

Claire
    2012 WL with DH, DS, DS, DM, DF, DSis, DBinlaw, DCousin
    2012 POLY CL and BWV with DH, DS, DS, FIL, MIL
    2010 BLT with DH, DS, FIL, MIL
    2009 Dolphin with DH
    2007 Offsite - Sister's Bachelorette Party

WOW! This is awesome! What fabulous work! I agree, you need to do something to protect your work. The overall look is clean, clear and easy to read. VERY user friendly!

I too would like the legend at the top of the page. Just a thought, instead of parenthesis around the times that are sometimes maybe * or # instead. The double parenthesis is a little confusing.

I really like the name "Blue Prints"

Thank YOu!!!!
    Last edited by BlountFam5; 07-07-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: forgot
    Tracey

DH DD11 DS8 DS6

makes josh ride in the passenger seat Rhonda's Avatar
    Love it!! Awesome map
    Rhonda (obviously)

2009~CBR
    2010~AKV
    2010~POP
    2011~POR
    2012~ASMo (mom and son trip)
    /with 2 "I won a contest" nights at POFQ!
    2012~POP
    2013~POR
    2014~ASSp

Our August 2011 Trip Report

I pre-charge everyone's credit card $100 just to make sure you're good for it.

I agree with all the praise above, especially about the map and dropdowns!

The one thing that isn't all that clear without reading the comments here is the times shown. First, I never would have guessed that the times listed with the FPV entries is the amount of time it takes to go through the ride with a FP. That's not intuitive at all - you're not riding the ride then, so showing the FP ride time when you FPV is just confusing. Perhaps you need separate entries for getting a FP and using a FP, and only include the FP ride times with the "use FP" entries. Second, the peak wait times are MEANINGLESS unless you're actually recommending that people actually go during the worst time of the day (which I know you aren't doing). I could care less if TSMM is 150 minutes at 3pm, if I only plan on riding it standby at 9:30am and 8:30pm when it's a fraction of that. I don't see how these times add any value.

As an aside: I find HS to be one of the hardest parks to plan out in rigid detail in advance, largely because of the shows. If you're doing any shows (and particularly if you're doing all three of the major ones - IJ, LMA and BATB), you have to plan out the shows and then flexibly fit things in around them. The first few hours can be planned pretty good, but after that you have to be flexible.

only person to nominate a josh picture for potd guff's Avatar
    Blueprint works well - I like it, although BleuPrint would add a sophisticated French flair.

Seriously, very well done. It's obvious that you put a ton of effort into it and it is greatly appreciated.

Regarding the peak wait times being listed, it certainly may not be useful to a seasoned WDW visitor who knows which rides will have a long wait time during the day, but for a newbie, I think it's useful. It will provide an indication that's it's a popular attraction, and that they should ride it in the morning.
    Janine

BTW - i like the FP ride times. I tend to think that if I have a FP, I'll have no wait. It's nice to be reminded that that's not the case, and what I should expect for a wait.
    Janine

proud to keep the transportation forum the most civilized jilly7896's Avatar
    This is awesome, Josh. And I really like the name "BluePrint"

Travel Consultant with Mayfair Travel
    Email: jill@mayfairtravel.com
    Like me on Facebook!

Sept 2010- CBR - Trip Report
    Sept 2011- POP - Trip Report

1991-offsite * 2003-GKTW * 2007-ASMU * 2009-FW * 2010-CBR * 2011-POP * 2012-OKW, CR & offsite * 2013-Poly, BWI & DCL Fantasy
    2014- WL, DCL Magic, BWI, PBH & CSR * 2015- AKV, DCL Dream, DLH, GCH, RPR & DCL Fantasy * 2016- BWI, GCH, DLH, DCL Magic (Roy Disney Suite!)

waiting for a street car
    Love love love the map. The color. The 3Dness. The labeling.

Josh this looks really fantastic! LOVE the map and the color coding! This would make it really easy for a novice to plan with! You SERIOUSLY need to copyright and start charging folks for the privilege of using your site!! I'm in!!

I like the name BluePrints fine. But, with the website being easyWDW.com, how about calling them "EasyPlans" for symmetry? Just a thought.

Where do I put my credit card info?!?
    BIGDADDYBYRD
    DVC Member OKW since 2011

Mailing bills as we speak.