Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FPP+: Testing or Rollout?

FPP+: Testing or Rollout?

Testing is over, right? With the number of people reporting that they are getting FP+ invitations after doing online check-in it feels more like this is the initial roll-out than a large scale test. Not that they aren't evaluating and adjusting as things move along. That part will probably be a never-ending process. It just feels like it is all coming together: the FP window enforcement, the change from 10 day to 60 day online check-in, new website/MDE, Magic Bands, etc.

Secondary topic for discussion - if this is correct and this is THE rollout, who called it? Did any of the usual rumor mills or resources for inside information give out anything on this actually identifying this was the rollout before it was upon us? Here's some more ifs, if this is the rollout and if nobody had the info before it was obvious I'd say Disney did a pretty good job of keeping it all under wraps considering how many eyes were on it. We were all sitting here waiting to be included in the next "test".

fizboBunny
    Disney announced a few weeks ago they would do a full rollout in October. (beginning of their fiscal year).

People are getting it now for Sept. I have heard the POR starts on Sept 3rd. I also read that someone at POLY has it for later in the month.
    But I haven't heard of any other hotels or dates.

I am freaking out (numerous posts) as we will be there in Sept (and even staying at POR), but because we check in before the 3rd we aren't eligible.
    When I spoke to CM's, they keep ensuring me that it is still testing and that plenty of people on those dates at those hotels are not included.

At this point, I don't know what it really going on, but than again, does anyone?
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

August is for sure just a test, but the largest test they have done yet, with all people at 4 different resorts for the full month. From there we will see...
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

They're still calling it a "test". We are going in September and the email and letter we got says test. But with that being said I think that as long as they are happy this test will just expand until everyone is doing it. Then they'll probably have a big grand reveal as the official start but they'll have already have transitioned over to MBs.

We just got email on Friday (8/16) and then an overnighted letter in mail on Saturday saying we were invited to test the magic bands and fp+. We are staying at Beach Club Sept 3 - 10th. Once I received the invite I then did online check in and customized the bands and picked my fp+. I am waiting for the magic bands to arrive. When I spoke to WDW about some questions they said about half of their resorts were testing in Sept. I think she said, POR, POP AOA, BC, YC, Contemp, POLY, can't remember the others, but maybe 10 of the 20 resorts? It did not include everyone at those resorts though, not sure how they pick the guests.
    Stephanie, Lexington 11, Cadence 9, Jacob 7

In training for first WINE AND DINE HALF MARATHON November 2014

Sept 2013 Beach Club Resort (Free Dining)
    Nov 2011 Contemporary Resort Hotel (Free Dining)

I was actually on the phone with a tech CM the other day for almost an hour working out an MDE issue with online check in. I know CMs aren't always the most reliable, but this one seemed to know what she was talking about. We also go in Sept and I was worried about the number of people who seem to be testing. At the end of our call I asked her what she knew. She was actually able to list off all the locations officially testing in Sept (even some that seem to just be rumor right now). It actually wasn't that many once I heard the list and not all of the hotels testing in August are continuing into Sept. It was Pop, AoA, PO (Riverside only), AK (just a portion), BC and Poly. I think that was all. She said no others would come online for Sept (we are CBR so I was wondering if we would be getting a last minute email). She also confirmed that the full rollout would be complete by the end of the year. Once you factor in all of the hotels not testing, plus all of the offsite guests who don't have access, I think FP+ will have little impact on Sept touring. October and November may have more issues depending on whether they keep the Sept testers online permanently and add a few more test hotels or if they just go to full roll out.
    Karen

Still testing. On the last earnings conference call, Iger/Rasulo said they still expect MyMagic+ to roll out during the first fiscal quarter of 2014, which begins in October. But they were certainly not guaranteeing or even implying a full roll out in October. About 12,000 people a week are actively testing FP+ in the parks at the moment. That number may go up in September, but it's still miniscule compared to the 120,000 people that pass through the turnstiles/tapstiles on a given day in August.

We're checked in for a week at the Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge and a week at the Beach Club Villas, but haven't been asked to participate.

We'll be back in December, so I expect it'll be full steam by then.

This is probably a really dumb question, but when they roll it out across the board is it tied to your hotel reservation? We are going to WDW at the end of January but are renting DVC points from a friend so our reservation is in their name and, as I understand it, won't be switched to our name until we check in. (We have the confirmation email and number -- but the reservation itself is under their DVC name and number.) Having said all of that, how do we make our FP+ reservations in advance once it finally rolls out if the system is tied to the hotel reservation?

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Still testing. On the last earnings conference call, Iger/Rasulo said they still expect MyMagic+ to roll out during the first fiscal quarter of 2014, which begins in October. But they were certainly not guaranteeing or even implying a full roll out in October.
    Maybe that's my point. I think of a test as a beginning and end with evaluation before the next step. If this test which began in Aug continues in Sep and leads to rollout in Oct then it all just seems like a phased in rollout to me. I suppose in a way its just semantics.

The problem with the phased approach is that as more and more people get the FP+, then less and less regular FPs are available for those not included in the roll out. Someone said the other day that the first TSM FP time was 10:30 and not even 9:40 anymore. And by 11am, they were all gone.

he's right
    This is probably a really dumb question, but when they roll it out across the board is it tied to your hotel reservation?
    No. Once it is full-bore, anyone with a ticket tied to an MDE account will be able to pre-schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFredricksen View Post
    The problem with the phased approach is that as more and more people get the FP+, then less and less regular FPs are available for those not included in the roll out. Someone said the other day that the first TSM FP time was 10:30 and not even 9:40 anymore. And by 11am, they were all gone.
    hmmm, If this is true then I need to rethink my fp+ selections. I just planned to use all my FP+ late afternoon, early evening (at second park on same day) assuming I could still collect regular fp with ease for the mornings.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFredricksen View Post
    We got 9:40 FPs yesterday, and they were still available as late as 1pm so this sounds like a lot of hysteria to me.

he's right
    Hysteria? On a WDW planning board? I'm shocked! Shocked!

Peanut butter is yummy.
    Someone said the other day that the first TSM FP time was 10:30 and not even 9:40 anymore. And by 11am, they were all gone.
    Who said this?
    Where?
    Lemme guess- could it be on DIS?

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    Why would this limited FP+ testing mean such a great change in regular FP availability? The same general amount of people are utilizing the FP/FP+ system as were using the regular FP system, and the addition of FP+ isn't adding any bodies to the parks on any given day, so the quantity of FP's will be the same, they may be distributed slightly differently, but at this point not enough to make any major difference in when you would see FP run out, or return times.

I guess we could argue semantics. I haven't seen an internal (or public) document that's referred to what's going on right now as a roll out. With Port Orleans in particular, it sounds like they're going to be more aggressive trying to get people to "opt in" to the point where everyone's magic bands will be ready at check-in, whether guests are expecting them or not. There also seems to be more and more pressure to "make it work" from high, high up. It's really only middle management on down that sees all the day to day problems. Even when the comp numbers are quoted, it's not all that much when the numbers are spun around. It seems like it's almost to the point where everyone just wants to be told what they want to hear, no matter how those results are achieved.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    It seems like it's almost to the point where everyone just wants to be told what they want to hear, no matter how those results are achieved.
    Did you get the memo about the TPS reports? They need a cover sheet-- I'll just go ahead and get you another copy of that memo, mkay? Great.

Quote Originally Posted by moscow View Post
    This is probably a really dumb question, but when they roll it out across the board is it tied to your hotel reservation? We are going to WDW at the end of January but are renting DVC points from a friend so our reservation is in their name and, as I understand it, won't be switched to our name until we check in. (We have the confirmation email and number -- but the reservation itself is under their DVC name and number.) Having said all of that, how do we make our FP+ reservations in advance once it finally rolls out if the system is tied to the hotel reservation?
    This seems odd to me. We're on our third renting transaction, and the reservations are always under our name and reflect our address. Yes, they belong to the person we're renting from, but he makes the reservation in our name. We even get confirmation letters directly from Disney at our home address, and the electronic confirmation the owner sent us shows our name and address, not his. Our Magical Express vouchers come directly to us and have our names on them. I have our upcoming reservations linked on MDX, and I had to link them using my name, not the DVC owner we rent from. I can't imagine how you can check in to a reservation that's under someone else's name...they always ask to see ID to make sure it matches the name on the reservation. Maybe your friend didn't realize that he was supposed to make the reservation under your name? As the DVC owner, he's still free to cancel it at any time, and you can't call DVC Member Services and talk to them about the reservation at all, but the reservation should reflect the name of the people staying in the villa, not the name of the DVC owner.

There also seems to be more and more pressure to "make it work" from high, high up. It's really only middle management on down that sees all the day to day problems. Even when the comp numbers are quoted, it's not all that much when the numbers are spun around. It seems like it's almost to the point where everyone just wants to be told what they want to hear, no matter how those results are achieved.
    Gotta love corporate America! Not even Disney is immune to leadership that only hears what it wants to.

If they are trying to get everyone to opt in, and at check-in for POR there will be magic bands for everyone, what are the odds they will let us switch over the bands in the middle of our stay? We check in before the 3rd, but will be there over the 3rd and for a few more days. Do you think if we head to the check-in area on the 3rd or 4th that they will issue us bands?

Quote Originally Posted by pfalcioni View Post
    Why would this limited FP+ testing mean such a great change in regular FP availability? The same general amount of people are utilizing the FP/FP+ system as were using the regular FP system, and the addition of FP+ isn't adding any bodies to the parks on any given day, so the quantity of FP's will be the same, they may be distributed slightly differently, but at this point not enough to make any major difference in when you would see FP run out, or return times.
    I'm sure the person that posted was there at the 9am opening and not the 8:45 let in early. So if you think about the number of people with the FP+ that might have booked that time (so some less for regular ones each window), plus that 15 or so minutes of the 8:45 crowd getting FPs, I'm sure that 10:30 is not out of the question.
    And to the person who asked, yes it was DIS (I don't know why I still read things there!)

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorK View Post
    Did you get the memo about the TPS reports? They need a cover sheet-- I'll just go ahead and get you another copy of that memo, mkay? Great.
    lol!!!

Until vanilla Fastpass is gone and off-site guests are included, I would consider MM+ in testing.
    I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitter