Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: October 7-14 2011 WDW with DD6, my Mom, and my Hubby (his first visit finally!)

carries her own pineapple juice RebeccaMcK's Avatar

October 7-14 2011 WDW with DD6, my Mom, and my Hubby (his first visit finally!)

I just couldn't wait to start a pre trip report...I think I'm about 97 days away from leaving now for Orlando (booked our package Thursday night online and then made slight changes to it and got nearly all the meal reservations I wanted on Friday - still haven't heard from my mom if all those sit-down dinners are okay with her, hehe). I'll try to not make the pre-trip part too long, I promise (if any of you read my two trip reports on TGM, you know I can get wordy). Well, let me back up a bit and just give a hopefully quick background story of my history with Disney World.

I'd wanted to go there for YEARS as a kid (and as a grownup) and my family never went. I grew up in California (I have lived in Colorado since early 2004) and was used to going to Disneyland once or twice a year ever since around 1972 when I was two years old and cried on "It's a Small World" (somewhere, someone in the family has a photo of my grandma holding me over her shoulder on the ride while I'm bawling - I guess those creepy little dolls freaked me out at that time). Anyway, life went on and I grew to like that ride and others, and it was nice to live about 30-45 minutes away (by freeway) from Disneyland. When Disney's CA Adventure park opened across the way, well, there went all the close parking spaces to Disneyland Proper - but I went to DCA once some time after it opened, with my sister and a friend of hers, and honestly didn't remember that much about it. I think we rode "Soarin' Over California" and saw the Bug's Life show ("It's Tough to be a Bug") and I had photos of what were supposed to be fake movie star trailers (as in, where Cruella DeVil lived while "filming" 101 Dalmatians) and that's all I remember. Other than the two attractions I mentioned, it seemed pretty boring (take note: it's not boring any more...they have plenty of good stuff, just not as much as at Disneyland). So, as I got older, for some reason real life took over and I hardly ever went to Disneyland any more. The final place where I lived, in Orange County, was only a couple miles from Huntington Beach - and I rarely went to the beach! That's how much adult "real life" takes over and keeps you from doing what you used to do when you were younger. My hubby (married him in September 2001 and had known him since 1998) had been to Disneyland a few times during his childhood - he grew up in the high desert area of California (think Barstow, Victorville, Apple Valley, Hesperia if you're familiar with those areas) so it was rare when his family would get out "into civilization" and do stuff that I'd grown up doing (all the theme parks, for example). He hates crowds, by the way. Fastpasses are his best friends at Disneyland now (once we knew how to use them....so far I've only used them on two different days there, and I'm so glad they exist). He thinks that when we go back there some day (I've been there with him twice now, two Decembers in a row when we've gone back to visit our families over Christmas) we'd just keep going back and forth between Space Mtn and Big Thunder Mtn Railroad, collecting Fastpasses as the new windows open for them. That's alright with me, because I think our daughter is starting to tire of the kiddie rides - she's a real thrill seeker now.

That brings me to our daughter, Kimberly. She turned six in late May. The year she turned 4, we took her on a Disney Cruise out of Port Canaveral (our first time in Florida) in November 2009. It was great, and she met her first Disney characters (Mickey, Minnie, Daisy, Belle, Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora, Goofy....we never did catch up with Donald or Pluto on that trip - Donald proved to be kind of elusive, as did the Chipmunks - and we missed the special Tiana meet but we eventually met them all later at Disneyland and Disney World). With everyone trapped on a cruise ship out at sea (this was one of the shorter cruises...we only stopped at Castaway Cay once and at Nassau. Castaway Cay was well worth it, but Nassau not so much), the lines are somewhat shorter to meet the characters when you're only in line with all the other passengers and not an entire theme park, hehe.

And then in December 2009 we took Kimberly to Disneyland for the first time. And I hadn't been there in a very long time by that point. Busiest I'd ever seen it. It scared Hubby off big time. It was the Monday after Christmas (with Christmas being on a Friday that year, I think). We didn't know about special touring plans then....actually, all I knew was to do Dumbo first thing and then get through Fantasyland. Well, that only works if you're there when the park opens. We got there, had to buy our tickets, and were on Main Street around 11 am. Met Pluto, almost got to meet the chipmunks but they left before we could get to them (that had happened before, on the cruise). I had Hubby, my sister, my parents, my daughter and my grandma (in a wheelchair) with me and there was no way they'd all be there for rope drop. We got to Dumbo around 12 noon. Suffice to say, we really only got on about five rides that day. Saw a great Christmas parade, though, with good seats, and had a nice dinner. Three of the rides we rode were after dinner, after my parents and grandma left to go home. And that was the first time Kimberly rode Star Tours - which she LOVED. She had been on motion simulator type stuff before, at places like iT'Z and Chuck E Cheese (basically, all your family friendly buffet-pizza-fun-arcade-ride places). This was before Star Tours was revamped, of course, and we'd all been on it several times before (to the point where some of us were "ho hum" about the ride), but Kimberly enjoyed it so much at age 4 - and being tall enough to ride - that we all just enjoyed watching her enjoy it. Disneyland's Star Tours is in Tomorrowland, so right after we rode that we went over and rode Buzz Lightyear's ride. Video game, none of us were very good at it but it was fun to do once. We tried to ride the train afterwards but it had stopped running (getting close to fireworks time, and Fantasmic). Tried to get over to Pirates but the line got very long after the Fantasmic show ended just across the way and all those people got in line. We had pushed the rental stroller "against the stream" of people to get there on foot, and by that point, Hubby was done. Time to go home. Sis and her friend (who met us there with her Annual Pass) stayed and said later that the line was only 30 minutes, but we left with the fireworks going on behind us and Kimberly slept from the moment she got on the bus to the parking lot all the way until the next morning.

Hubby decided then that he wasn't going to go with us on our WDW trip in May 2010 (which had been planned and booked already). So, that WDW trip went on with just my sister (who met us in Orlando from Houston) and Kimberly. It was my sister Jenn's second visit (she went there with her work group once, on business, doing some leadership convention or something - so she saw a lot but not everything and had special seats for Fantasmic, etc.) but first time ever for Kimberly and me. Thanks to the help we got on TGM we had a GREAT time, and Jenn benefited from my touring plans and strategies that I'd learned from the TGMers (a lot of them are here with easyWDW now). We did rope drops at every park except for Animal Kingdom (and we were only about 40 minutes late...still managed to do all we had planned there). Did one day at each park (I couldn't believe we managed Magic Kingdom and got it all done by 6 pm including two long meet'n'greets to see Ariel with her prince and Tiana with her prince). At that time Kimberly was I think 42 inches tall (she's little for her age but she has a lot of spunk) so she couldn't ride Space Mtn, Expedition Everest and maybe a couple other things that we never told her about anyway. We steered clear of the 48" height requirement rides, and RnRC was shut down for refurbishment the week we were there anyway. We took her on Tower of Terror, though - and note that she expressed no concern about it whatsoever until we started dropping in the elevator. After the ride, she cried for ten minutes, swearing, "I'll never ride that again!" over and over. And to this day she won't ride it. Even a couple days after that, when we were at Magic Kingdom, she refused to ride Haunted Mansion. Maybe I should have just called it Mansion, leaving out the word Haunted. Someday she might ride it but not in the foreseeable future. We didn't ride HM that trip. And she hid her eyes during most of the Beauty and the Beast Live show (why do they show all the scary parts in that condensed version of the movie? And I don't think there's any mention of Belle's father at all), but overall she enjoyed it when it wasn't scary. Didn't stick around to see Fantasmic - I figured it would scare her too much and we'd have to leave the show early. I even had a F!Dinner Package that I wound up canceling and just having a regular ADR at Brown Derby (which we enjoyed immensely...the food was great and it wasn't crowded at all, but we dined pretty early....it was around 4 pm when we came in out of the heat and asked if they could seat us earlier than our reservation time. No problem).

I'll end here and continue later in case this post might be too long.
    2010 WDW&US ASMo 1 Day Solo US&DHS Trip Report, 2011 Poly (incl. DLR/DCA July & Dec)
    Trip Report, 2012 DLR PPier Trip Report w/bonus features, 2013 ASMo Trip Report, 2014 Oct AKL-KV, BLT & Nov ASSp WDW&US Trip Report & more.

proud to keep the transportation forum the most civilized jilly7896's Avatar
    I'm in :) happy to see another one of your trip reports!

Travel Consultant with Mayfair Travel
    Email: jill@mayfairtravel.com
    Like me on Facebook!

Sept 2010- CBR - Trip Report
    Sept 2011- POP - Trip Report

1991-offsite * 2003-GKTW * 2007-ASMU * 2009-FW * 2010-CBR * 2011-POP * 2012-OKW, CR & offsite * 2013-Poly, BWI & DCL Fantasy
    2014- WL, DCL Magic, BWI, PBH & CSR * 2015- AKV, DCL Dream, DLH, GCH, RPR & DCL Fantasy * 2016- BWI, GCH, DLH, DCL Magic (Roy Disney Suite!)

Anyway, suffice to say that overall we had a great WDW trip in May 2010. Kimberly raved to Hubby about Test Track (the only ride we rode twice) and all the characters she met. We don't do autograph books. Each Mickey is different, of course - they're all just people dressed up like the characters, and Kimberly knows that. She's happy to meet them and have her photo taken with them. Even at Sea World, when she sees someone dressed as a penguin or an otter, she yells, "Characters!" and runs to meet them. At WDW that May she met LOTS of characters. I had a list of everyone who was "important" and she met them all....even Donald, Piglet, Pooh, Tigger....and the biggest "get" for us was Chip'n'Dale (because whenever we'd tried to meet them before on the cruise or at Disneyland they'd disappear before we could get up to them). When she met them when they first came out along the Camp Mickey Trail at AK to go to their little meet shack, she was ecstatic and they spent a lot of time with her before moving on (I liked that, got some good pics). We saw the Festival of the Lion King show (didn't have time in the end to see Finding Nemo the Musical but we will this next time in October)....just had a great time. I told Hubby how we never waited in line for more than maybe 20 minutes, and how the transportation worked well for us (sure, we had to wait for some buses sometimes but otherwise things went smoothly just relying on Disney transportation). Oh, and for that trip we stayed at Wilderness Lodge. The humidity hit me RIGHT AWAY! lol Did I mention I live in Colorado? It's pretty dry here and it gets hot sometimes but not TOO hot. At least this was mid May so it wasn't as bad as it gets in the real summer months in FL.

This was the year that both Hubby and I turned 40, him in June and me in November. Well, when the time came to start thinking about what to do for my 40th birthday....I said, "I'd really like to go back to Disney World but to save money I could do it by myself and stay somewhere cheap" etc. Hubby took me up on that offer, so he took some time off work to take care of getting Kimberly to and from school, making sure she did her homework, etc. (even in kindergarten, at her charter school she got homework almost every day) - and I went to spend my birthday at Disney. Well, another perk was that I spent my actual birthday (November 16th) at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure - had a good touring plan for all I wanted to do there and experienced the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (rode the Forbidden Journey ride TWICE with hardly any wait). And when I was done I took a taxi to Hollywood Studios and rode Tower of Terror, went through the animation building, did the fun animation drawing class, took pics of characters (I never posed with any of them, just walked up and took their photos if I wanted to....saved a lot of time), rode Rock'n'Roller Coaster FINALLY (loved it, rode it twice), saw Fantasmic right after exiting RnRC (stood at the back the whole time but at least saw the show and was one of the first to leave the area and get to the buses)....I just had a great time and did everything I wanted to do. Had some good meals (Les Chefs de France, Liberty Tree Tavern, Sci-Fi Diner, Yak&Yeti table service)....delicious and whenever I felt self conscious being on my own I just wrote notes in my trip journal or found things to take pictures of. In May we had been to each park once, like I said, except we did do Epcot on two different days - it is really hard to do it all in one day there. But this time, in November 2010, I explored all the countries more (easier to do without a child), tried a Grey Goose Citron L Slushy (I forgot what the L stands for, sorry - it was GOOD), saw the British Invasion perform (and I'm glad I did because they're not at Epcot any more....now it's another British Rock band, who I'll check out in October if there's time), rode Mission:Space (something Kimberly couldn't ride in May because she was too short....I did the green version and found it pretty tame so I think I can handle the orange/spinning version, but if everyone else in October wants the tamer version I'll just ride that), and knew what rides in all the parks were lame and what were worth doing or trying. I knew Stitch's Great Escape would be lame but I did it anyway since I was by myself, and now I know why it's not worth doing ever again, lol. Enjoyed the Carousel of Progress. Rode the train to dry off after Splash Mtn soaked part of me. Just did a lot of stuff....but I STILL have not ridden Peter Pan's Flight at Magic Kingdom (only at Disneyland so far). So that is a goal for October, to finally ride it. I ALMOST rode it on my second MK day in November, but it turns out that when I tucked my FP for it away to use later and then pulled it out to use at the right time it turned out to be a "bonus" FP for Mickey's Philharmagic, DOH! It was not for Peter Pan. ALWAYS check your Fastpasses when they spit out of the machine before you put them away. This was just before noon, when I was leaving the park, so I had to give up on Peter Pan that trip. Here's a perk for someone traveling solo....I had arrived there on a Saturday afternoon (after a 6 am flight from Colorado, took a long time to get there especially with a 3 hour layover in Atlanta), immediately checked into All Star Movies, checked for bedbugs (found none), made sure I had everything I needed in my backpack, got on a bus to Magic Kingdom, stayed there until 1:30 am (Extra Magic Hours), and then the next morning (Sunday) managed to wake up with no alarm and got to Magic Kingdom for rope drop! I was proud of myself. Wasn't tired at all. Did Magic Kingdom (just attractions I hadn't done the night prior and some new stuff I hadn't done before like CoP), left for the TTC around noon, went over to Animal Kingdom (rode Everest for the first time because when I'd been there in May it was broken down, saw Finding Nemo the Musical, rode Primeval Whirl for the first and maybe only time, rode Dinosaur for the first time, did some other stuff, ate a delicious chicken lo mein meal at Yak'n'Yeti), then went directly to Hollywood Studios where I saw the Osborne Lights and had a blast. Three parks in one day (granted, I didn't do everything in each park). Did Epcot on the Monday, I think, and I already mentioned I did US/IOA and DHS on the Tuesday. Can't remember the rest of the trip (oh yeah, Downtown Disney on the Wednesday right before I went back to hotel to board DME and get to the airport) - it was a short trip but it was great fun. If I decided I didn't want to keep waiting in a line for something, I could leave and go do something else. I could watch a bit of the MSEP (which I did, very nostalgic - I love the music and remember the parade from my childhood at Disneyland) and move on without sitting through the whole parade. I finally saw Wishes for the first time.

By now I had the touring plans pretty well down pat (again, thanks to all the help I got) and I think I have them pretty well set (except for show times, if they change) for October's trip. But before I leave "the past" I'll mention that in December 2010 we decided to try Disneyland again, with Hubby. This time it was just the three of us, no other relatives to bog us down (haha, sorry but they often do). Got there a little bit after it opened (just Disneyland, didn't do DCA - I had still only been there once since it opened). Had a great touring plan and did just about everything we wanted to do between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm (when we left). It was a rainy day....it was still crowded but this time it was a Tuesday or Wednesday, I think, and we did everything in good timing. For example, we rode Pirates of the Caribbean before lunch with very little wait, had a delicious lunch at Blue Bayou (the restaurant inside Pirates, always looks dark like it's nighttime) with only a 5 minute wait for a table....when we came out of the restaurant everyone in the park seemed to be lined up for Pirates (so we lucked out there) and all of New Orleans Square was PACKED full of people. So we didn't try to cross them, just went the other way, enjoyed the Tiki Room show (original and always the best version), saw Captain EO (I had seen it in Epcot the month before, too - always liked that show, for the most part), took Kimberly on Space Mtn for her very first time. It's better to do this as a first time ride at Disneyland since their Space Mtn seats people two by two instead of in single seats in a row/pod. She got to sit next to her daddy while I had the front row directly in front of her. We didn't know how she'd react to the ride so we saved it for last (with our Fastpasses). She LOVED IT and wanted to ride again. Didn't anticipate that, and we didn't want to wait around to use new FPs for it (we were ready to leave). But the bigger surprise was that Hubby enjoyed himself and now no longer disliked Disney (for the crowds, mostly). He loved the food at Blue Bayou and swears we'll eat there every time (okay, Mr. Big Spender, fine by me). And the next time we go will most likely be October 2012 (during Kimberly's fall break THAT year) when hopefully Cars Land will be open at DCA and we can enjoy all they have to offer.....maybe stay on site and get 3 day passes (something I've never done. I've always lived somewhat nearby and just have gone for a day). Oh, and a week after that trip to Disneyland I went back with my sister and a couple of her friends, with Park Hoppers, and we did Disneyland AND DCA, all day....saw World of Color, the Aladdin Musical (which was great), and did everything we wanted to do except ride kiddie rides (they wouldn't let me go check out the Monsters Inc ride or see Turtle Talk or Muppetvision) and California Screamin' (the guy wouldn't let us in with our Fastpasses because it was an hour away from World of Color starting. I swear we could have ridden the ride and been done well before they needed to totally shut down, but oh well). We rode Soarin', Tower of Terror (only my third time riding, and now I think I could take it or leave it) and that's probably about it over at DCA but at least I was finally there for my second time and could see the construction going on for Little Mermaid's ride (it's open now, getting great reviews as a D ticket attraction - it'll be the same ride as what's coming to Magic Kingdom but the outside looks different I think) and Cars Land. Anyway, it was a good time. Got home at midnight. Hubby had taken Kimberly to Lego Land in Carlsbad for the day, and he now knows the value of doing whatever is necessary to avoid long lines, so he paid EXTRA to get the special wristbands that got them to the front of every ride's line in that park. He didn't care that it was probably around $60 extra per person - he was used to Fastpasses and loved passing people in lines. He even called me and left a message while I was watching the Aladdin musical to brag that they'd walked ahead of a 2 hour queue for a ride that wasn't all that great (he just liked being able to do it and get on the ride quicker).

That leads up to October 2011, coming up. On Mother's Day this year I asked Mom if she'd like to go with us to Disney World during Kimberly's fall break (she finally gets one, starting this year) and we'd go from around October 7th (a Friday, since Kimberly has the Thursday and Friday off for parent-teacher conferences and I'll just hope to get a Thursday conference with her new teacher in first grade) until the following Friday so we could be home and have time to recover that weekend before Kimberly returns to school (she has the whole week in between off, obviously). And the perk was that it's during Food & Wine Festival at Epcot. I'm not that big on wine, but I've heard the food offerings are good so that's what I'd like to try. First it was just going to be Mom, Kimberly and me - and mostly I needed Mom so that there would be another adult to help me with Kimberly (and I could go on some rides that neither of them would ride, perhaps). Well, Mom was eager to go but had to think about it and go over pricing (which I provided for her). Originally we were all going to go (Mom, Dad, Hubby, Sister, Kimberly, me) some time in 2013 or 2014 once all the new Fantasyland stuff was done. I mean ALL of it, including the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster (and last I heard that might not be done until early 2014 although some insiders have said late 2013 now). For anyone else wondering, supposedly the Storybook Circus area (with the water play area, the Twin Dumbos, the Great Goofini kids' coaster and a Casey Jr snack area, plus shops I think) should open in phases between April and September 2012, with the Little Mermaid ride/area and Beauty and the Beast's area (restaurant, Gaston's Tavern, Storytime with Belle, etc.) opening shortly after (maybe October 2012)....and someone said the Princess meet hall (taking the place of the current Snow White ride area) should open in Fall 2013. That's different from a timeline I posted from these same insiders back when I helped with the forum thread about Fantasyland Expansion on TGM's site (I'm not there any more, at all). Anyway, it's Disney World and I just can't wait that long to go back. Hubby knows this. So now we're going earlier, this October (knowing nothing new will be done yet, of course), and it would just be my mom, Kimberly and me. Well, Kimberly and I really want Hubby to go (I never say his name on here because he's afraid of various things on the internet and never wants his name or employer mentioned, even on Facebook, so I comply by just calling him Hubby), especially to ride Test Track (Kimberly's favorite ride, besides Big Thunder and Space Mtn now). We just got a little camper that's like a tent trailer but has a hard shell on all sides (goes up like an A-frame tiny cabin when it's set up). He tows it behind his truck and is camping more now. I've been on one camping trip so far with it (I did all my "roughing it" campouts when I was a Girl Scout for ten years) but he often goes either on his own (when mountain biking at the destination) or with Kimberly (when kayaking instead of mountain biking). So, on the promise that he can do plenty of these solo camping trips while I take care of Kimberly back at the house, he has agreed to go try Disney World with us this time. He'll have a good time, especially with our refined touring plans, hehe. He's good with getting up early for rope drops, especially since we'll be at the Polynesian Resort (a place I had to talk my mom into, with the cheapest room available there, since she's paying her way - but it was easy to talk her into it because of the atmosphere and the proximity to the monorail and Magic Kingdom....and she thinks this may be her only chance to ever go. Remember, she has never been to Orlando). The monorail only goes to the other monorail resorts and to MK and Epcot, but we'll take buses to DTD, DHS and AK. Mom doesn't think she can handle rope drops, so when she can't be up early enough with us (she'll be in our room, so I think it will be hard for her to avoid getting up - I can be persuasive) she'll just meet us in the parks later. I can rack up some Fastpasses sometimes and let her have mine for "her speed" rides like Pooh. Mom doesn't ride anything that goes too fast or upside down. She says she'll ride Star Tours, but we'll see. I'm not giving up my Peter Pan Fastpass, but maybe Hubby will let her have his if that's one we collect in MK before she joins us. She'll happily watch Kimberly (her only grandchild) whenever there's something Hubby and I want to ride that Kimberly can't ride. Kimberly is now 45 inches tall without shoes on, so she can ride MK's Space Mtn (the height minimum is lower at Disneyland, by the way) and Expedition Everest at AK. I might let her try Dinosaur, now that I've tried it once. We can skip Primeval Whirl and that whole Dinoland area - I find that area to be a timesucker. But we'll try to see both Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo the Musical if possible. Mom will like the shows (we might even try the LMA show at DHS now because Lightning McQueen is in it....might also try Indiana Jones' show but it's not a priority. Mom will prefer BatBL). Mom likes parades but we don't (my sister and I always liked to hit the rides with low lines while people were watching parades)....however, if Spectro is back in October (I don't think it will be, but IF it is) we'll see it. And I told Mom about how we can watch the MK fireworks from the beach at the Poly, with the music piped in on speakers. Most of the time we'll probably see the Hallowishes fireworks, since MNSSHP will be going on four nights while we're there. We have so many ADRs now, I don't think we'll splurge on MNSSHP tickets. If we did, it would just be for Hubby and me, for a night away while Mom babysits Kimberly - and without Kimberly I don't feel like meeting characters.

This trip will start eight days after our tenth anniversary, and Mom's 65th birthday is September 2nd, so I've put those celebrations in with all our reservations. It's also "first time visit" for Mom and for Hubby, which is less important but they'll get the buttons at the Poly, I'm sure. Mom will like the birthday attention, and I told her how we'll get special desserts when restaurants recognize the special celebrations (we can share with Kimberly, who got two special desserts during her 5th birthday trip in May 2010).

In my next post I'll type up the basic plan, because I have that ready along with the ADRs.

(Hi Jill! My post here didn't post right away, so I saw your entry. Welcome! )
    2010 WDW&US ASMo 1 Day Solo US&DHS Trip Report, 2011 Poly (incl. DLR/DCA July & Dec)
    Trip Report, 2012 DLR PPier Trip Report w/bonus features, 2013 ASMo Trip Report, 2014 Oct AKL-KV, BLT & Nov ASSp WDW&US Trip Report & more.

Hmm, I don't think I did the link in my signature to this trip report properly. I will figure it out later.

Plans!
    All we're doing on Friday, October 7th, is traveling to Orlando. I booked our flights yesterday, and we leave Colorado Springs at 6 am (I had to leave around the same time in November - it's the only way to get to Orlando by a good afternoon time that isn't considered "evening"), connect in Dallas (where we have a little over 2 hours to wait, enough time to have an early lunch), and arrive in Orlando at 2:25 pm. My mom hasn't booked her flight yet but knows she'll wind up in Orlando around 3:30 (from the flight she and my dad have "researched" and want to wait to use Chase points on to get the price lower. It's a great price already, so I think she should book it asap and then use the Chase reward points elsewhere on the trip. Dad also wants to save up more points. Argh). So, we'll wait for her near the DME bus area and guide her there via cell phone if necessary (I'll give her a copy of the little map that Disney will send me with the luggage tags, etc.). We'll ride to the Poly together and just spend time there in our room and elsewhere in the resort. Rest. Mom will have been traveling all day (her flight out of Ontario, CA, is around 6 or 6:30 am, too, with a connection in Dallas). She has type 2 diabetes but no longer takes insulin (I don't understand the current health situation but apparently she doesn't have to take it any more except for her emergency stuff, which she is bringing with her and it doesn't need to be refrigerated). We'll try for a walk-up at 'Ohanas for dinner (shyeah, I know, good luck! But so far it's the elusive ADR I haven't been able to get for any of our available nights) or else do Captain Cook's or room service (or something by the pool maybe) and basically make that an early night. The Magic Your Way base tickets I got are for 5 days of parks, and we'll use them Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday (I picked Wednesday as a break day....I've never had a break day on a WDW trip before, but I think it will benefit Hubby and Mom. Kimberly and I could essentially "go go go" every day, all day. She doesn't nap any more, not even at Disney).

So, Saturday morning we have a 9:10 'Ohanas breakfast reservation....it'll be fun to start off with a full meal and meet Lilo, Stitch and I guess Mickey and Pluto (oh, Kimberly finally met Pluto on her first Disneyland trip - it was very exciting. He was her fave character at the time, and Mom is in the photo with them on Main Street). This is an ADR, though, that I'm willing to cancel if no one feels like going that morning. It's our day for Animal Kingdom, and I don't feel like we HAVE to get there for rope drop (I haven't yet in the two times I've been there, and it all worked out fine). AK is open until 8 pm this day, but we have an ADR for dinner at Kona Cafe back at the Poly for 6:30 pm and I think we can manage the day. Unless Mom wants to walk along the animal trails, we just have certain plans for AK that won't take all day (unless it's tough to get to both of the good shows....have never seen Flights of Wonder but we'd like to see FotLK and Finding Nemo, and ITTBAB if time permits). I still haven't walked along the trail near the Tree of Life to see the animal carvings up close, so we'll try to do that (and maybe see Flick the ant along the way, but it's no big deal if we don't see him). Kimberly can now ride Expedition Everest, so that's our first FP priority. Mom will enjoy the safari ride, so we'll do that. Also, the Dinosaur ride and maybe Kali River Rapids (so far I have not ridden it). It'll feel good if it's pretty hot that day (and I have ponchos for all of us). And we'll have lunch somewhere. Depending on how much breakfast filled us up (or if we wound up canceling that ADR) we'll have a light lunch. Haven't tried the barbecue place yet (Flame Tree?) so maybe that, Pizzafari or Y&Y counter service. Or if people are okay with snacks and waiting for our big dinner, we have the Kona Cafe reservation that evening.

Sunday, it's not recommended to be at DHS (it's the last red park listed for that day) but Mom wants to see Fantasmic and it's only on twice (so far) during the time we're there, so we'll go. There isn't a lot we need to do at DHS anyway. We're not into Toy Story Mania (Kimberly and I rode it once...not big into video game rides, so that was enough). She hasn't met Woody or Buzz yet (or Jessie or Bullseye, if they're meeting anyone these days) so we'll try to meet them at DHS or at MK, if they're around. We'll ride Star Tours, Great Movie Ride (I hope for the cowboy guide/scene since I've already been on the mobster version, but we'll take whatever we get), and RnRC (if Kimberly isn't tall enough by then, she'll wait with Mom outside or go do something else). We can see BatBL, Muppetvision (I'm the only one who has seen it so far, during my solo trip), Little Mermaid show, and maybe LMA. One Man's Dream, Animation Bldg (Mom at one time wanted to paint backgrounds for Disney animated films - she and I were both artists a while back but never professionally. I don't know if we'll do the drawing class with Kimberly in tow, but we can explore the building and do the tour/show anyway), and Brown Derby for a 5:35 dinner ADR. Could NOT get the Fantasmic Dinner package, they're all sold out. But I think we could take turns waiting in the long line to get into the regular F! show seats, maybe ride ToT or RnRC while waiting, and let Mom go look in shops (her favorite thing at Disney) whenever we take her place in line. It's what, 90 minutes before show time? Egads. We could try to go meet Phineas & Ferb, too. They're over by Muppetvision, as are McQueen and Mater I think (but Kimberly already met them two Mays ago). Fantasmic that night is 8 pm, unless they add an earlier show later. DHS is open until 10 but we won't be out that late. Might get back to our hotel around that time, though, if not sooner.

Monday will be our first of two days at Epcot (avoiding the weekend as recommended, with locals going to F&WF). Mom can meet us later at Future World or World Showcase if she doesn't want to hit rope drop with us. There are only certain things we want to do in FW anyway (not everything). Test Track, M:S, Soarin' (Mom needs to ride that one even if she doesn't ride the first two I listed - so if we get FPs without her I might let her have mine when it's time to ride), Spaceship Earth (later in the day), Nemo ride, Turtle Talk (with Mom), maybe Captain EO, and I'd love to skip the Figment ride but Kimberly might want to ride it again. Then we'll head to WS. I told Mom we'll allow two afternoons for this, because it takes a while to soak up all the countries (and the food during F&WF, hehe). We have a dinner reservation over at Le Cellier for 4:40 pm (only time I could get) but if we're too full from snacking around the WS we can cancel that. I have never been in Le Cellier, but I know a lot of people like it so I figured Mom and Hubby (who is a big meat eater) will enjoy it. Mom grew up in Toronto. She was born in Manchester, England, and moved to Canada with her parents when she was two. Then in 1962 they moved to California, with her Canadian-born younger brother (who, sadly, is no longer with us but used to work wardrobe for Disney's tv ventures, among his other costume work in the tv business in England, Canada and California). So Mom will enjoy looking around Canada and the UK for sure. She has been back to those countries for occasional visits, and we have a lot of extended family all over England. I told her that if we don't reach all the countries before it's time for dinner, we'll skip through (or ride the boat) to get to Canada on time and then see the other countries (because we'll start off in Mexico to work our way around) on the next day we're there. We'll stay for Illuminations this night, since when we go back to Epcot it'll be our last night (Thursday) and we might not want to be out too late before leaving for the airport the next morning.

I'll continue the daily plans in the next post.
    Last edited by RebeccaMcK; 07-13-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Got a trip ticker going now but still can't figure out how to embed the link to this trip report in my signature. I must not have read far enough yet to figure it out. It's different than how to do it on the TGM site.

----------
    Okay, so on to Tuesday's plans. Tuesday, October 11th we'll be at Magic Kingdom. They close at 7 for MNSSHP, but we'll leave before then anyway for our 6:55 ADR at 1900 Park Faire. I'm looking forward to this one because I've heard that Cinderella's stepsisters and stepmom are funny. And the food should be okay. I think everyone in our little group will enjoy it. There's a lot we want to do at Magic Kingdom but I think we can do it all from rope drop until 6:20ish (we'll monorail straight over to Grand Floridian for the dinner reservation). There aren't many characters we NEED to meet but it would be nice to see Woody, Buzz (if not already seen earlier at DHS), and Peter Pan (forgot to mention earlier we might try to meet Tinkerbell at Epcot if she is still there - I heard she might move to DHS but we'll see what happens). Kimberly has met all the princesses now except for Rapunzel, and that's not high on our priority list. Mostly, we plan to ride our usual rides (and I'm getting on Peter Pan's Flight this time!): Space, BTMRR, maybe Splash (I could take or leave that ride now, but if Kimberly wants to ride we will ride), Aladdin's carpets or Astro Orbitor, Pooh (mostly to see the new play queue), Tiki Room if open (see if they went back to original version or not), Jungle Cruise, and whatever else we have time to do. Mostly explore, because this park is new to Mom and Hubby. Kimberly knows we avoid Dumbo and Indy Speedway (that ride smells, all those fumes), and we love Monsters Inc Laughfloor so that's a must for all of us to do (Hubby and Mom haven't seen it before, of course). Carousel of Progress if open (I heard it might be shutting down but that's probably just a rumor). We avoid Tom Sawyer Island, and Kimberly doesn't even know about it anyway. No need to ride Buzz's ride again. HAVE to get a Dole Whip or float at some point. Might see CBJ if Mom wants to (Disneyland doesn't have it any more - it's where they have their Pooh ride now), otherwise there's no need. Pirates (Kimberly says she doesn't like the drop in it - yet she likes all other rides that have drops so I don't know the deal there). Maybe Hubby and I (or Mom and I) can ride Haunted Mansion if Kimberly doesn't want to. More later.

Back again. While at Magic Kingdom if there's time we'll also do It's a Small World. That's a ride my mom's speed, and I don't mind it. I'm not two any more - it doesn't freak me out, lol. Kimberly likes it.

If I didn't mention it already, Mickey's Philharmagic show is a must. I think it's the best thing in Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland (for now, until the new stuff opens, at least). I dislike 3D movies in general, but I'm okay with short movies like this one and ITTBAB (and Captain EO) - we don't have to wear the glasses very long. It's hard for Kimberly to keep them on.

So, dinner, like I said, will be at 1900 Park Faire. Then back to our hotel, maybe see some fireworks from the Poly beach this or another night.

Wednesday, October 12th, I've planned as our break day. I've never had a break day. This will be more for Hubby and Mom's benefit. I did plan some stuff though....just swim at the pool or on the beach (if that's allowed), rest, and we girls are heading over to the Grand Floridian's Garden View Tearoom for a 3:50 pm afternoon tea. I noticed there isn't anything on the menu that Hubby would eat, so he'll get a break from us at this point and go do what he wants (sleep perhaps). I was trying to get 'Ohanas for dinner this night but so far it's a no go. I'll keep trying, unless we do it on our Friday/arrival night as a walk-up (hahahaha, no, it probably won't happen). Oh, but I also have Wednesday marked as an evening we can go to Downtown Disney and look around. We can hopefully have an easy dinner there. I tried for T-Rex and Rainforest Cafe but so far there are no openings....we can try walk-up or else a counter service place.

Thursday, we'll rest in the morning perhaps, and then go to Epcot for the afternoon. Explore the countries we didn't see on Monday. We have a 6:40 pm dinner ADR at Rose & Crown Pub in UK. Mom and Hubby will love the food, as I did two Mays ago (Sunday Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding....ask for extra au jus/gravy). Turn in early, see the fireworks from the beach if we want (if we didn't already), go to bed and then leave the next day for home.

I got our flights booked. Mom will do hers soon. Dad heard back from Chase about how to use their $80 in rewards, so she'll get her American Airlines flights for less. She emailed me about that today and didn't comment on all the ADRs (and prices) I had emailed her yesterday, so they either didn't phase her or she didn't read them in detail, lol. I did write her back a little while ago and tell her that we might still wait and see if the Dining Plan winds up being offered for free (and then we'd get it) or we could think about adding it to our package and maybe wind up paying less out of pocket whilst at Disney. Not in a rush. Bye for now. I might figure out soon how to add photos to this TR.

doesn't like sequels, but has hopes for easywdw 2.0 breezy2's Avatar
    I am in. I need to read it tomorrow, because I am very tired tonight after a long day of work. I can't wait to hear all the details.

Welcome, Donna! Testing some photos here....

watchingLionKing.jpg
    Oh, good, the attachment process worked. The above is Kimberly watching "The Lion King" (on VHS) with her daddy just a couple weeks ago. She loves the movie - we've borrowed the tape from my sister until the dvd is released this fall. If the scary bits in this movie don't scare her (and they don't) I think she can handle Fantasmic this October.

Above is Kimberly, our six year old daughter....big fan of "Phineas & Ferb" (as are her parents and most other adults we know, even though we no longer get Disney Channel and just rely on the dvds)

Here is Hubby with Kimberly on Mother's Day:

Here is Kimberly with me, at the same place on Mother's Day:

And here's a pic of Kimberly with my mom when we were visiting our families in CA last Christmas:

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    Sounds like you have a fun trip planned.
    Brenda

Thanks, Brenda. :-)

doesn't like sequels, but has hopes for easywdw 2.0 breezy2's Avatar
    Great pictures. I saw a couple of them on FB. Your trip sounds wonderful. Did you have Kimberly watch F! on Youtube? The worst part about it is the dragon towards the end. My kids have never been scared of anything, so I have a hard time judging what others will be.

Thanks, Donna. Yep, I think all of those pictures I posted are also on Facebook, lol. It's so easy to do straight from the cell phone's camera. And I was pleased to see the easy way to attach photos here in the posts on this site. I can do Photobucket like I used to do OR I can just attach the photos by choosing the files from the computer (that's good, because some of the family/friends who get the pics from me each month via email didn't like the Photobucket process. They found it more complicated than ordering prints from Shutterfly, which I normally use when it's not a Disney trip set of photos).

Back before our May trip in 2010, I showed Kimberly the Fantasmic show footage on YouTube. She seemed okay with it then, but it's often different once you're sitting in the seats and the kids see that big dragon (and for that matter, also the big snake and the long, somewhat violent Pocahontas scenes plus all the villains seemingly attacking Mickey....they should really revise the show some time. Pocahontas movie scenes seem kind of old now, lol. At least Mickey prevails in the end, and I love the show's music.). But Kimberly was almost 5 at that time and now she's 6, and I think she can handle the show. We'll try to get seats near the edge of the bleacher row in case I have to leave with her (or stand further back). Or who knows, if Mom gets too tired waiting for good seats for that show maybe we'll give up and go back to the hotel. We don't have the dinner pkg anyway - it's just a "regular" dinner at HBD. Also, right now there will be F! shows every night through some date in September (I want to say the 30th but I'm not positive). I don't know if they'll add more shows for October - if they do maybe we'll change what day we go to DHS. I still think Sunday would be better than Thursday, the night before we leave for the airport (the only other night so far that F! is showing during our stay).

Now that Josh explained to me (on another thread) how to do the embedded link to this TR in my signature, I see how easy this site really is (once you know what to do with the little icons, lol).

Well, enjoy the rest of the July 4th weekend, everyone. I'm on my own with the kiddo for a little while (I don't know how long) - Hubby had to fly down to CA tonight to be with his dad, who may be on his deathbed at the hospital in Los Angeles. He'll be there to take care of his mom (she's much younger than his dad). Kimberly and I may or may not join them down there soon, but so far Hubby is going to handle whatever happens on his own. We might not have to go down there. His dad has had a bad heart for a while (has a pacemaker) but this last heart attack and the surgeries that have gone on in the last week have taken their toll. He's "gurgling" when he talks and they think he might have internal bleeding now (he flinches at every touch and might have an infection - they've done tests but can't seem to nail anything down). Kimberly and I will keep busy here (even if just resting and watching DVDs - we have a couple fun things to do this week, too, with friends who are about to move out of state) until we know more. Thanks to United Airlines for their "compassion airfare" on a last minute flight we got tonight for Hubby, saved ten percent.

Just thought I'd add a quick update. I found out that a mom of one of Kimberly's classmates from kindergarten (they're all starting first grade this August) is on the etsy site with her creations (mostly owl snow hats). She and her son had to miss Kimberly's birthday party earlier so she asked me to pick out a hat she could make for Kimberly. We're not into owls, lol, but I saw that she had a Mickey hat and a Minnie hat on her site so I picked the Minnie one. I would have gone with Mickey, but considering Kimberly's winter gear (these are snow hats, cold weather) is usually in shades of pink I went with Minnie because it has pink "bottoms" and buttons with the black top and the ears. Here is the link to Leila's etsy pages (2) if anyone is interested in seeing what she makes. I see there's a lion hat, too, and Kimberly is HEAVILY into "The Lion King" right now so I almost picked that but stuck with Minnie. http://www.etsy.com/shop/leiguzman?ref=pr_shop_more

And on the Father-in-Law front (my earlier post mentioned he's in the hospital), things are looking up a bit since the second surgery yesterday. Hubby is there as is his sister, who flew in from Japan (Air Force). Her kids are there, too, but they're out in the high desert with their other grandparents, not at the hospital. Hubby's sharing a hotel room with his sister. Their mom is "a rock" and is doing well with everything. It helps that she has her sister, her niece and her two grown kids there to help out. Things could still get worse, but for now my father in law is doing fine (once he was able to have liquids yesterday after the surgery, and then eat later, he did better and doesn't seem to be on his deathbed any more).

What's driving me somewhat nuts is being here in Colorado, alone with Kimberly, finding things to do locally when all I read on Facebook is stuff like my sister (who's visiting my parents and grandma in California right now) being at Disneyland and CA Adventure yesterday, and almost all my other local friends are out of town on vacation. Of course, a couple weeks ago that was us - we were in Houston for a few days to visit my sister. We enjoyed Kemah Boardwalk there, with their rides, but it's not Disneyland! A bunch of people I know on Facebook are at, were at, or are about to be at Disneyland. Grrrrr....it's rotten timing for me to be there, of course, and I was just there in December. But now my sister has been on the new Star Tours and Little Mermaid rides and I have not. Yet. Something cool, though....she told me that yesterday, July 5th (after a packed fireworks show the night prior, naturally - full of locals), they didn't need Fastpasses at all and practically walked onto every attraction. They did DCA first, walked onto Little Mermaid (the line for this omni-mover moves quickly), didn't get to ride CA Screamin' because it was broken down, took one friend on ToT for the very first time (the girl has an annual pass, goes there all the time, and yet had never been on Tower of Terror - sheesh)....and by the time they got over to Disneyland in the afternoon, they checked Star Tours at 3 pm and they were out of Fastpasses. So they waited in a 40 minute queue. Not too bad, actually, since that's closer to the standby wait for the older version of the ride on an average day. The novelty of the new version might be wearing off. They waited 20 minutes for Space Mtn. Granted, she was there with two friends who like to talk non-stop, so queues don't really bother them because they can catch up with each other while waiting. I don't know if she saw WoC or F! but I know they're not parade people, so they probably hit all the rides. Last FB post I'd seen from my sister from last night said she was hanging out at DTD's House of Blues. They always wind up there to relax before leaving for home.

I'll end with some funny things that happened this past Monday (July 4th, which was just like any other day to Kimberly and me, really - I heard fireworks later but didn't go look at them). I took her to see Disneynature's "African Cats" at the dollar-fifty theater across town, which we both enjoyed. Remember I said she's really into "The Lion King" right now. She got to see live hyenas, cheetahs, lions and other animals in the "circle of life" in this documentary. So, afterwards, we went over to the nearby mall (I had not been there in a couple years...I'm typically not a mall person) and got some Chick-fil-A for lunch at their food court. Kimberly told the cashier, "We just saw African Cats!" The cashier said, "Really? Where?" Kimberly said, "It was a movie at the theater!" Cashier answered, "Oh I'll have to go see that - what is it called?" I answered, "African Cats," and the other cashier next to ours started laughing. Then we had our lunch at one of their little tables instead of in the main center eating area of the food court, and Kimberly started singing "Hakuna Matata" (as she is won to do these days, only she sings "It's our problem free halosopeeeee" instead of philosophy - she's 6, it's cute) and after a couple minutes we heard a bunch of Chick-fil-A workers in the kitchen singing bits of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," lol. Kimberly stopped singing and her eyes got wide. "Timon sings that song!"

Forgot to mention earlier that we have a new camera now. Again. We had bought an Olympus digital camera that was shock-proof and water-proof back in January (AFTER the first two WDW trips....and the old Canon digital camera was so unreliable by November's trip that I went with just disposables, which cost a lot in the end). I think I even mentioned that on my old trip report on TGM when I was finishing it up from the November and December trips (December was just Disneyland, DCA and Sea World San Diego). Well, while we were visiting my sister in Houston, Texas, just a few weeks ago, that "waterproof" Olympus camera completely shut down and wouldn't take any more pictures on the second day of our trip. So much for handling humidity. (You would think if it could handle being in water, it could handle humid AIR). Yet it was fine near water, like whenever Hubby took it on kayaking trips (it was never submerged into water; we chose not to test the waterproof feature like that). It's dry in Colorado, so Houston was the first humid climate we took it to - way more humid than Southern California, where we took it in April. It was too late to take back to Costco now since it was past 90 days of original purchase so I had the original packaging and everything that came with it....boxed it up and shipped it to their CA location. They received it via Fedex at the end of June and I'll see if they refund our money. I am never again buying the store display model (it was the last one left at the time).

Now we have a Fujifilm FinePix XP20 digital camera. Shock-proof, water-proof, dust-proof and freeze-proof. We shall see. It'll take short HD movies, too (a hobby Kimberly recently took up, filming her toys, even with the other camera). It's easier to operate than the Olympus one, and there is nothing that shuts the lens like with the other camera (that cover came down over the lens and never did open again in Houston) - it's just glass. I've been experimenting with it and if it'll stop taking fuzzy pictures we'll be in business. I just seem to have bad luck with cameras. But hopefully this one will last through the Orlando October trip and well beyond. 14 megapixels. The camera on my cell phone takes 10mp photos and does pretty well. It's very easy to operate, but there are no special settings (other than zooming in and out, and adding and subtracting light) and action shots are pretty much a blur. Otherwise I'd just stick with the cell phone camera (Droid HTC Incredible). I've had it since February. Oh, and I have the Disney Mobile Magic app for Verizon Wireless and Undercover Tourist's app (shows info for all 4 parks) so I'll use those as long as the battery holds out. I've noticed that if I'm out of the house, whatever I do on the cell phone AT ALL drains the battery quicker than just using it at home. Facebook, photos, email, web browsing, phone calls. I need to get a car charger.

Anyway, that's what's new on the camera front. Oh, and we can't plug the phone or the camera directly into the computer for uploading images and video since we don't use Windows. We use Ubuntu from Linux, and hardly anything is ever compatible. So, I email myself the pictures from the cell phone, check the computer to make sure I got them, download the files there and then delete them from the cell phone. With the camera, we take out the memory card (and never use just the internal memory on the camera), insert it into the slot that fits it in the printer, upload them to the PC from there (and can't use the CD software to do anything to the photos since it's for Windows and Mac only), and then do whatever we want with them. Order prints from Shutterfly, Walmart, Walgreen's or Photobucket. Really, technology "makers" need to realize that we don't all use Windows or a Mac (Hubby personally hates Windows and we've done without Microsoft products and their constant updating for a while now) and make their software compatible with Linux. Hubby told me recently that Netflix is starting to work on making their "instant viewing" software work with Linux (so far it's just Windows) so that will be nice if it happens because I have at least 60 things in my Netflix queue that I could stream online and watch without having to wait for the DVDs to come in the mail.

Hello Rebecca
    Joining in !
    Look forward to reading all about your trip
    Amanda ( abw1967 )

Welcome, Amanda! I like your screen name. I have under three months to go now! But I won't write every day, lol.

He He
    Its in honour of our BAD puppy - who looks just like Wile E Coyote in the Road Runner cartoon - long nose, big ears and a bit dimwitted

I am just watching CNN for the last shuttle launch with Connor and Jamie - a very monumental day

When i get to a 365 days to go, I am going to start my trippie - with a 5 week holiday, I have a lot to plan

Hi Rebecca,

I did find your report! I'm glad to hear your FIL is doing a little better and I love that Minnie Mouse hat from Etsy as well. I'm a little jealous you're staying at the Poly this trip. That is probably our favorite of all the resorts we've stayed before although we've love them all for different reasons. I can't swing the Poly for our trip in December because we're doing the Platinum Plan for one night and it is mega expensive so I rented DVC points for the rest of our stay so we'll be 2 nights at BCV, 3 nights at WL, and 4 nights at SSR. It's going to be a great trip regardless though.

Can't wait to read more!

Jennifer

Jennifer, your trips are always great. Thanks for joining in here.

Amanda, does your silly dog try to blow up rogue roadrunners? hehe Five weeks' vacation, lucky. Remember if you want any advice about Disneyland, CA Adventure, Sea World San Diego, or whatever else you're doing in Southern California let me know via email and I'll jog my memory (I lived there for 33 years, born and raised). I will warn you that Magic Mountain (used to be Six Flags but I don't know if it's owned by them any more) is often a violent place....thug/gang "kids" hang out there and there are often altercations. It's one reason we stopped going there in the 90s. Colossus is the best roller coaster ever IMO (I leave out the H because I'm part English, HAHA, but, no, it's because my opinion is almost never humble) but to me it's not worth going there any more. Also, from where I lived, it was in the middle of nowhere and took a long time to get there. Disney beats Magic Mountain. Knotts Berry Farm beats Magic Mountain, too, and has thrill coasters the kids would enjoy. And to me, Disney beats Knotts.

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    I'm in!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Welcome!

And guess what - I just said this over on Facebook tonight (some of you see me there), but I went to a free park concert (my first one this season) up the street near our local Cinemark and IMAX, and I had a friend meet me there because we were both signing up to try and win two tickets to the Harry Potter premiere (part two movie) for Thursday. In fact, it's for a 7 pm showing at the IMAX with assigned seats (so, no lining up early is necessary)! And it's before everyone else gets to see it just after midnight when it really premieres! I didn't win myself, but my friend Grace won and she's taking me. So we get to see it for freeeeeeeeeeee! More good news: My grandma (Dad's mom in northern CA) finally finished watching her DVD of the part one movie and it arrived in my mail today so now it's to add to my collection and I can re-watch it now before going to see the part two film. For freeeeeeeeee! lol Bye for now.

I got busy with the cell phone camera this morning (which is now our only camera - wound up returning the new one I wrote about earlier. Defective, isn't waterproof as advertised, won't work well any more - got full refund) and took some pictures of the t-shirts we'll be wearing in the parks (just four that Hubby has, two of which I also have - plus a couple more that I have for myself, and about six shirts that Kimberly has. While I was at it I photographed other Disney wearable items that were around). On Photobucket I have the files in alphabetical order by title so I'll just describe them as I post them out of order now:

cap I got recently from Disney Movie Rewards, and here is the back of it (doesn't show up well but it's Mickey Mouse)

One of Kimberly's Snow White socks (yes, we have the other one):

An old poster (from 1986 or 1987, I think) that's up in her room:

A t-shirt my sister-in-law gave her a couple years ago after their own Orlando trip (still fits her):

A princess t-shirt she wore on arrival day for our May 2010 trip (I think it's really a pajamas top, which would explain why it's so soft - but she wears it as a t-shirt in daylight):

Some princess PJs she got this past Christmas that are probably too warm for this October's trip but I photo'd them anyway as if we'll take them:

Kimberly's princess ball cap exclusively from Disney Movie Rewards:

A cute frilly nightgown I got her because it had Princess Tiana on it from "Princess & the Frog" (whom she loves, although her fave princess changes just about monthly):

The nightgown she was wearing this morning when I got her out of bed to get ready to go to Vacation Bible School (VBS):

Another poster in her room, with almost all the princesses (I added the Tiana sticker at the bottom right...looks like she's floating up near the castle towers):

Her new Phineas & Ferb shirt from the boys' department at JCPenney (girls like them, too!) - she can wear this on our DHS day:

A shirt that was handed down to her from a friend, featuring the Little Mermaid (free, I like that!):

Her other two Disney hats...pink one is from Disneyland (it's infant size...her head is still very small, and we got this back when she was 4) and the other one was her b'day hat from the May 2010 trip (ordered ahead of time so we had it on the plane ride):

A Grumpy shirt I got for Hubby at Target (pretty cheap) and he likes it:

The Four Parks/One World shirt I got over a year ago on Disney Store's website (Hubby and I both have this shirt):

My Mickey Fireworks shirt from Walmart I've had for a while (a CM at Disney's CA Adventure stopped me at the turnstiles once and asked where I got it because he'd never seen it before. I think Hubby has this shirt, too):

The other shirt I got Hubby at Target...and I love it because it's Donald Duck posing as the Old Spice ad guy....Hubby likes it too:

A CLEAR backpack I got today at Walmart for $9 - it'll save time at the bag-check line for the parks (that is, if the rest of my party isn't carrying anything...it'll save time for me personally anyway). I know the plastic-ness of it might make me a little sweaty, but hey it's waterproof too:

A Chip'n'Dale t-shirt Kimberly can wear to Animal Kingdom:

I rarely wear this one any more (not a big fan of the feminine cut shirt on a heavier person), but I like the design on it:

A shirt both Hubby and I have from Castaway Cay, Disney's island (from our Nov 2009 cruise):

My Castaway Cay cap:

Kimberly's Belle socks (yes, she's wearing them here):

The Aurora poster that's on the inside of her bedroom door (came with some Valentines I bought her one year):

The t-shirt I bought her at the Orlando airport when we were returning from our cruise:

And that's all because I forgot to take a picture of my Fab Five sweatshirt (also bought at the airport, a knock-off....I wore it just once on the November solo trip, but I wear it at home a lot). I'll include a photo of it some other time.

I see some pics attached during my previous process...just ignore any duplicates because now I don't see them in edit mode (to try and delete them).
    Attached Images Attached Images

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Love all the loot!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Thanks, Jill! Now I have two more to add. Yesterday I ALMOST got Hubby a Cookie Monster t-shirt - he said later he would have been okay with that one but not Kermit (Walmart has a bunch of those right now). Instead, though, I looked in Target today (had to get a new rice cooker and some veggies - this was SuperTarget so it's like a big market, too) and found the following Star Wars shirt....RETRO Star Wars, Episode 4! Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, etc. So I got one for Hubby and one for me (mine is a bit darker than his, I think - they're two different shades of gray). We'll wear these on our DHS day in honor of Star Tours.

StarWarsShirt.jpg

And then this morning I remembered to take a picture of the characters on my gray sweatshirt (a knock-off, I think, since it was very cheap at Orlando airport in November 2009, en route back from our cruise):

sweatshirt.jpg

I'll pack it but I bet I won't wear it. Come to think of it, while I did take it last November on the solo trip I don't think I wore it at all. Instead, I had a lightweight windbreaker I wore a couple evenings over one of my Disney t-shirts. Same thing might happen in October.

My next few days (or weeks) are kind of up in the air. I have the Harry Potter premiere tomorrow night but I'll need to let my friend know that I might not be able to make it after all, so she can take her daughter or her mom or someone if I wind up backing out. The only way I'd back out is if we have to leave for a road trip to CA....my father in law is doing much worse now and they had to do an exploratory surgery on him yesterday to see if there was some blockage in his intestines or something (and there is, yet they can't do anything about it). Basically, he's still in ICU with his wife near him constantly now - and I expect to hear at any moment that he's gone. Hubby knows I'm seeing an ear-nose-throat doc today to see about my ongoing tonsils/throat problem (as a child I should have had the tonsils taken out and never did...I know it's riskier to have it done now as an adult but I want to check it out anyway), and it was tough to get the referral and appointment, so if anything happens we might hit the road after my afternoon appointment, at the earliest. For any funeral plans, anyway, it would be at least a few days away after he passes, so we're just waiting for the word and we'll have time to get down there. All of us this time, not just Hubby. He was there for six days and has been back at work here now since Monday. He'd rather not get the bad news at work (computer lab with other engineers) but I bet that's where his mom will call once the news comes. Unless the sister calls here. We only have cell phones now, no landline. They all know Hubby's number now (it's a pay as you go phone, so usually they just call my phone that serves as our home phone/main number). Anyway, for those of you who pray, please pray that God ends John's suffering and takes him peacefully and soon. He's hooked up to life support now, which he doesn't want - the hospital knows, the family knows....they're basically giving him lots of medicine to keep him comfortable. Thank you.

an enigma wrapped in bacon, deepfried and drizzled with passion fruit aioli drischar's Avatar
    I'm in. I've read your trip reports on TGM as well as followed the Fantasyland updates that you contributed. We will be in WDW from October 7-11. We were there for the (almost) same dates last year and had a great time. I'm envious of your Poly reservations. I think that would be my dream stay, espcially for an adults-only trip. Prayers for peace for all of your husband's family.
    DeAnn

Trips: Lots as a child growing up in FL last time 1992 (always off-site)--Oct 2010 POP first time as a parent--Oct 2011 (Indian Creek home)--Nov 2012 Last minute MNSSHP and F&W weekend with no kids!!--DCL Dream May 2013 (KSC & Legoland)--4 Generations of Princesses, June 2014 (1 day @ MK)---Christmas at WDW! Dec 2015 (rescheduled from Dec 2014) off-site