Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "FP is a Free For All"

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    But let me just tease you with they have rebooked our reservation 8 times in the last 36 hours!
    What a load of hooey! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. Vacation is supposed to be relatively relaxing and not MORE work than your regular work!

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Wow that is insane. This experience suggests that there really aren't any good contingencies built into the system. It's like a real life Jurassic Park, except instead of Raptors ravaging the island it'll be people posting all over the Internet about how Dazney screwed up their week vacation.

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    How soon before the media starts labeling FP+ as the New Coke of the theme park world?

just here to register 'tam' Tam's Avatar
    My dtr wants to know if the new magic bands will mess up fpv? Surely you can't be running around with everyone's magic band?
    Tam

POR Mar '09
    Pop Dec '09
    BWV couples only trip Oct '10
    Windsor Hills March '11
    Pop/MNSSHP Oct '11
    Windsor Hills Nov '13
    Windsor Hills Mar '14

Quote Originally Posted by Tam View Post
    My dtr wants to know if the new magic bands will mess up fpv? Surely you can't be running around with everyone's magic band?
    There will be no more FPV.

You would reserve all of your fastpasses before you leave from home or on your phone in the parks.

Of course that is long term, in the short term, brass knuckles and mean right hook is the best plan. It's a free for all out there.
    I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitter

LOL. Just as I finished reading through this thread, my 7yo happened to wander in and asked. "Mommy, how do you get fast passes?"
    Kate

^ that made me lol
    Abby - I have kids.

living life to its fullest 3Caballeros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ke_page View Post
    When I get to a real computer I'm going to write a trip report on this fp+ crap. We have has the worst experience! Disney has comped us so much as a result of such a disaster it has been. I couldnt have imagine it being this bad ... They claim we are the exception.... We will see. But let me just tease you with they have rebooked our reservation 8 times in the last 36 hours!
    I'm just wondering, how does it all come about as affecting you ? For instance, why do you have to continue to have new reservations ? Is it because your room key stops working or what ? Just wondering b.c. we'll be at the campsites so room key wouldn't be an issue for us. I do know that DH will probably never want us to return to WDW if we have to put up with any hassle. I have to practically drag him to our vacations as it is *sad*

What about those with no FP+? (We are staying at POR from 8/15-8/23 and so are not part of the test.) Anyone know how it is working in reality? I am a little worried that regular FPs are going to be sparse because of the test and I really don't want others getting doubled up on FPs to effect our touring . . .

he's right
    I would not worry about it---there are relatively small numbers of people that have any idea that any of this works. But, the news for you could be good. Even though you are not in FP+, if you have your tickets separate from your KTTW, you might be able to use both. Also, it's not quite as "free" as "anything with a magstripe". There have been varying reports of old KTTWs not working, while other "not as old" ones did. Apparently an Ohio driver's license also worked---though, it was a couple, and they could only use one at a time.

More first-hand reports here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3147052

that's a shame
    Hmm. If we can double up on FP's (using AP's and a current KTTW) I'm wondering how we could tweak our touring a bit. IIRC, the peak season touring advice for MK from TGM had you getting FP's for both Splash and BTMRR then returning to ride them both once the return window opened.

BTW, that article has lots of tips for "MGM Studios."
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by pfalcioni View Post
    How soon before the media starts labeling FP+ as the New Coke of the theme park world?
    Need to clean my computer screen now.

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    Been so busy this week that I missed this!!! So glad I read it now since we leave in 3 days!! I'm going to test it out. For us....it could simply mean not dealing with some of the child swaps, etc and just having enough FPs for everyone to ride. We will have our tickets (and APs) separate from our KTTW card so should hopefully be able to use this a couple of times. Obviously we won't use it a ton but it really will make AK a little easier for me!!!
    Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by blyday View Post
    Been so busy this week that I missed this!!! So glad I read it now since we leave in 3 days!! I'm going to test it out. For us....it could simply mean not dealing with some of the child swaps, etc and just having enough FPs for everyone to ride. We will have our tickets (and APs) separate from our KTTW card so should hopefully be able to use this a couple of times. Obviously we won't use it a ton but it really will make AK a little easier for me!!!

We leave in 3 days too. Freaking out a bit because I'm not ready. Not sure if this will pan out for us as we are staying off-site. Will give it a shot though. I'll report back if it does.
    Deb

he's right
    Need to clean my computer screen now.
    FWIW, after skimming DIS, WDWMagic, and a few others: most (by a fair margin) of the reviews are positive.

Hmm . . . this actually may work in our favor as we will have YES tickets which will not be connected to our KTTW . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 3Caballeros View Post
    I'm just wondering, how does it all come about as affecting you ? For instance, why do you have to continue to have new reservations ? Is it because your room key stops working or what ? Just wondering b.c. we'll be at the campsites so room key wouldn't be an issue for us. I do know that DH will probably never want us to return to WDW if we have to put up with any hassle. I have to practically drag him to our vacations as it is *sad*
    It was that our whole system didn't work. It wouldn't open doors, let us pay for meals, it wouldn't hold our fastpass reservations. I couldn't see what our FPs were but the service centers could. I couldnt delete anything or add anything. If you have a choice I'd opt out for now. There was a lot of very angry people in the lounge in thr 2 days we were there. As per Disney their customer service was awesome about it all. We were very nice to them and there was proof that you got more with honey then you did with vinegar as they were constantly going out of their way to comp us this or that... but the bottom line is that after about 20 trips in 10 years... my hubby said enough and my 6 year old asked if we could go home. It's going to take us some time to get back into the Disney view. It was commical at the end but despite the money given back to us or free stuff... it was our vacation for the year that I spent with the staff instead of my family.

Braving Easter Week, all in the name of love Smithkids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ewasilau View Post
    Hmm . . . this actually may work in our favor as we will have YES tickets which will not be connected to our KTTW . . .
    This is my thought too...I wonder if the YES tickets will work along with KTTW? I leave on Friday for WDW so I will be sure to post back if it works...

OMGG, this sounds way to much of a cluster for me. We are leaving 8/15 and staying at YC and we are part of "the test" I could not link my tickets because I bought them from AAA, CM advised me that when I check in on Thursday at YC there will be someone there that is magic band plus trained to help me select all my FP's. I guess with the "test" if all goes right, and we still tour in the AM, we won't really need an "extra" KTTWC for FP's. Although, we do have them from previous year(my DD loves to play with them when we get home) I may bring them and just see...

I just want to be in my happy place celebrating my 40th!!!!

MIssy

It was that our whole system didn't work. It wouldn't open doors, let us pay for meals, it wouldn't hold our fastpass reservations. I couldn't see what our FPs were but the service centers could. I couldnt delete anything or add anything. If you have a choice I'd opt out for now. There was a lot of very angry people in the lounge in thr 2 days we were there. As per Disney their customer service was awesome about it all. We were very nice to them and there was proof that you got more with honey then you did with vinegar as they were constantly going out of their way to comp us this or that... but the bottom line is that after about 20 trips in 10 years... my hubby said enough and my 6 year old asked if we could go home. It's going to take us some time to get back into the Disney view. It was commical at the end but despite the money given back to us or free stuff... it was our vacation for the year that I spent with the staff instead of my family.
    Couldn't you just opt out once they had tried to fix it 2 or 3 or 6 times? Comps or not, that would be my breaking point.
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood." - Tom Robbins

I had planned on opting out for our Sept trip if it was offered. But, in the last week or two I have been waivering. I just keep thinking we will be "missing out". You have made me certain that my gut was right. I will be opting out! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience!!
    Karen

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySmiles View Post
    I had planned on opting out for our Sept trip if it was offered. But, in the last week or two I have been waivering. I just keep thinking we will be "missing out". You have made me certain that my gut was right. I will be opting out! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience!!
    I think opting out is missing out. If you read the trip report here, the problems started when they tried to make changes to the reservations. I'm treating FP+ as a bonus. My plan is to tour from RD through the morning on the good old FP system, take a break, and return in the afternoon for my FP+ reservations. If they don't work, I can use the regular FP. If they do work, BONUS! I have Fantasmic! reservations without paying for Mama Melrose, I have 3-4 FP+ reservations in each park that I don't have to rush around pulling tickets for, etc., etc. Regardless, you still get a KTTW card, that's good to get access to the room, make purchases, and use in the regular FP system. I think the unfortunate lesson is that the system is not ready for significant reservation changes of adding tickets and changing hotels. Somebody point out if there is an error in my understanding (as I know you will LOL).

We all want to believe the IT guys when they hand us back our technology and say "It's almost done." or "It's fixed now." I think the second unfortunate lesson is that after a couple of strikes, you should call them out and give up on FP+ and go back to KTTW, rather than waste vacation time waiting for them to fix it. My apologies in advance to KE_Page, because I would have probably been waiting in line right behind her, but in hindsight, I think there's a point to cut your losses. I am so sorry that your trip was so troublesome, but thank-you for sharing so that that we can learn from your difficult experience.
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood." - Tom Robbins

Quote Originally Posted by Scott (Smiley) View Post
    I think opting out is missing out. If you read the trip report here, the problems started when they tried to make changes to the reservations. I'm treating FP+ as a bonus. My plan is to tour from RD through the morning on the good old FP system, take a break, and return in the afternoon for my FP+ reservations. If they don't work, I can use the regular FP. If they do work, BONUS! I have Fantasmic! reservations without paying for Mama Melrose, I have 3-4 FP+ reservations in each park that I don't have to rush around pulling tickets for, etc., etc. Regardless, you still get a KTTW card, that's good to get access to the room, make purchases, and use in the regular FP system. I think the unfortunate lesson is that the system is not ready for significant reservation changes of adding tickets and changing hotels. Somebody point out if there is an error in my understanding (as I know you will LOL).

We all want to believe the IT guys when they hand us back our technology and say "It's almost done." or "It's fixed now." I think the second unfortunate lesson is that after a couple of strikes, you should call them out and give up on FP+ and go back to KTTW, rather than waste vacation time waiting for them to fix it. My apologies in advance to KE_Page, because I would have probably been waiting in line right behind her, but in hindsight, I think there's a point to cut your losses. I am so sorry that your trip was so troublesome, but thank-you for sharing so that that we can learn from your difficult experience.
    I think this is a good mindset, as long as they will allow regular Fastpass use with Fastpass+.

The reports that I am most interested in hearing, is when the testing becomes large enough to start impacting the amount of time it takes to use a Fastpass. When you start having 20,000, 40,000 or 60,000 people a day able to schedule 3 or 4 Fastpasses AND allow them to pull regular Fastpasses, it will have to lengthen the Fastpass lines.
    I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitter

Sounds like its worth planning a trip just for the fun. I'll be there on business in 1 week and will video my attempt with something magnetic.

he's right
    When you start having 20,000, 40,000 or 60,000 people a day able to schedule 3 or 4 Fastpasses AND allow them to pull regular Fastpasses, it will have to lengthen the Fastpass lines.
    At that point, regular FP will be gone.