Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "FP is a Free For All"

We have about 6 old KTTK cards (who made fun of us for keeping them!). Not sure if the glitch will still be there when we go in a few weeks. But what else works? I just can't believe it is anything with a stripe on it. I'm waiting for someone to say "April Fools".
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    I do have one question, if anything with a stripe on it works, and all the machine is doing is identifying that the card has a stripe, then what is keeping people from getting multiple FP with the same card at the same time? Is there anything keeping this from happening? I know that certain machines have always been disconnected from the system, but it almost sounds like right now they are all disconnected?

Crazy, man.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I think it's actually a lot less useful than it might appear at first glance. Having FPs with essentially the same return window for Splash and BTMRR would be easy to get and handy to use, but there aren't a lot of ride pairs like that. But we just found three old KTTW cards from 2011 so we'll see what's up next week.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Merida
    I don't know if I would be able to get myself to try it. Not judging anyone who is/would, but I'd feel so "naughty" LOL

If Disney came out and said it was not allowed, then I definitely wouldn't do it. But it's not like people re-using resort mugs, which is completely against the rules, I feel this is just the same as using late FP before they changed the rules.

I agree Doc, that in most cases it wouldn't make much sense, but it would be nice to grab a set of FP for Buzz, then Space, go do Monsters Inc. then use the Buzz FP, then Space. Or even grab 2 full sets of FP for Space and use them one after the other. Well, except for the pain I experience after riding Space 2 times in a row!

expert on dietary needs and disney dining clanmcculloch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merida View Post
    I don't know if I would be able to get myself to try it. Not judging anyone who is/would, but I'd feel so "naughty" LOL
    I've never seen a rule that says you're not allowed to do this. Where does it say you can't put other types of cards into the FP machines? How's that for justification?

Note that I'm sure it'll be fixed long before I'm back at WDW so it's not like I'll actually have to put my concience or OCD rule following to the test.

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorK View Post
    ...so we'll see what's up next week.
    I'm interested to see how long this lasts, so please do report. We leave on the 29th and would love to have a chance to use this loophole, especially since this'll be DD4's second trip where she's tall enough to do the "big rides".
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

Merida
    Quote Originally Posted by pfalcioni View Post
    If Disney came out and said it was not allowed, then I definitely wouldn't do it. But it's not like people re-using resort mugs, which is completely against the rules, I feel this is just the same as using late FP before they changed the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
    I've never seen a rule that says you're not allowed to do this. Where does it say you can't put other types of cards into the FP machines? How's that for justification?

Note that I'm sure it'll be fixed long before I'm back at WDW so it's not like I'll actually have to put my concience or OCD rule following to the test.
    True!!

I just thought I read somewhere a few months ago (someone's trip report maybe?!) who boasted about scamming fastpasses and had them taken away at times by observant CMs. I've always wondered what the loophole was (not that I'd try it) and now wonder if this is part of the loophole?!

Hate I'm missing out on the fun

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorK View Post
    I think it's actually a lot less useful than it might appear at first glance. Having FPs with essentially the same return window for Splash and BTMRR would be easy to get and handy to use, but there aren't a lot of ride pairs like that. But we just found three old KTTW cards from 2011 so we'll see what's up next week.
    I think it depends. Take TSM for instance. If the RT is pushed way out and I secure that and get other FPs with whatever their RT is.... I agree if they are all in the same time frame it isn't much use but if I can in effect schedule out my afternoon I would be happy as a lark.
    Lisa

4/2004- ASMovies
    5/2007- Pop
    9/2009- Pop
    3/2012 - Pop (Surprise Trip!)
    10/2013 - First stay off property at Windsor Hills
    6/2015 - Land/Sea on Disney Dream!

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Yeah, if you can hold two sets of TSM FPs that would be great. But to have one set of TSM and one set of RnRC or ToT is a LOT of back and forth in an hour.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

he's right
    I feel this is just the same as using late FP before they changed the rules.
    I don't see this at all. When late returns were allowed, the Cast was explicitly trained to allow them; if you asked a Cast Member, they would tell you that late returns were perfectly fine. Turning off the valid-admission check is just an expedient solution (aka "hack") to some other guest service problem---the fact that tickets linked to Bands used for admission aren't known to the paper FP system. The ability to use "extra" cards is an unintended consequence. I would expect that it won't last much past the current August FP+ test, particularly if the loophole ends up being abused badly (and it probably will).

This isn't an insurmountable problem; the information needed is available, assuming the entry touch points work. A Magic Band used for admission is linked to some entry in the ticket database, and that entry is checked for admission entitlements for the touch point to light up. That's the same DB entry that the linked ticket references---or at least, it should be. That information just needs to be fed into the paper FP system as well, using whatever mechanism that the old turnstiles used. They just haven't done that part yet. I suppose it is possible that they won't ever do it, but that depends on how long they expect the paper FP system to exist after the final go-live date. On the other hand, it is also possible that they will fix this before the August test period expires. In principle, it's not that difficult, though in practice it might have some challenges.
    Last edited by bnoble; 08-09-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pfalcioni View Post
    I do have one question, if anything with a stripe on it works, and all the machine is doing is identifying that the card has a stripe, then what is keeping people from getting multiple FP with the same card at the same time? Is there anything keeping this from happening? I know that certain machines have always been disconnected from the system, but it almost sounds like right now they are all disconnected?

Crazy, man.
    Each magnetic stripe on every card contains a long unique number (which may or may not have any real meaning to Disney). My guess is they are just recording the last time a given number (card) got its last Fastpass. The machines are probably still connected to each other, but they are just no longer connected to the rest of the Disney IT system, so they have no idea what numbers are valid (park entry) and which ones are not.

I would think they would at least be able to make a quick fix of the number being in some kind of format that they know their own system uses, disallowing things like library cards, etc.

I wrote code for a magnetic stripe reader for a lab in college, and then we had to decode the value to see if it was "valid" for our system. It wasn't rocket science.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

makes josh ride in the passenger seat Rhonda's Avatar
    I too, was thinking it would be tough to have multiple sets for the same time~too much running around, but it would be nice to get them sooner than 2 hours for those ones that are pushed out further. I dont think we are planning multiple rides sine this is only BFF's 2nd trip she wants to see more and do more, not more of the same, but it would be nice to have to option if we need it!
    Rhonda (obviously)

2009~CBR
    2010~AKV
    2010~POP
    2011~POR
    2012~ASMo (mom and son trip)
    /with 2 "I won a contest" nights at POFQ!
    2012~POP
    2013~POR
    2014~ASSp

Our August 2011 Trip Report

living life to its fullest 3Caballeros's Avatar
    I think the best benefit is what Josh mentioned in his article similar to the Mom who gets up and out the door, heads over to HS for TSMM FPs while the rest of the family is getting up and ready for the day. She's able to snag the entire family a set of FPs while Dad, brother and sister are snacking away on pop tarts.

Thanks for the explanation Micah, it makes more sense now, but still a little crazy that they haven't at least taught the system to recognize only the number series exclusive to Disney park tickets/KTTK cards.

I keep trying to tell myself that only x% of people know this who will be at the same park as me, but it's hard to not panic and go into the "doomsday" mode since everyone on easy, tgm, dis, mousesavers etc all know! It feels like a lot of folks, and it is, it just isnt a lot of folks on the same day in the same park as me to make a significant difference...........right??????
    Rhonda (obviously)

2009~CBR
    2010~AKV
    2010~POP
    2011~POR
    2012~POP
    2013~POR
    2014~ASSp

it just isnt a lot of folks on the same day in the same park as me to make a significant difference...........right??????
    Right.

Because if it was, darned near everyone going to a WDW park would be at the most recommended park, they'd all be there at rope drop, and not a single one would get in line for Spaceship Earth first thing.

Rhonda (obviously)

2009~CBR
    2010~AKV
    2010~POP
    2011~POR
    2012~POP
    2013~POR
    2014~ASSp

Want a good laugh? My fp+ for tomorrow says I am going to magic kingdom and I am scheduled to ride soarin and test track. Ummm.... Mickey we have a problem!

near Cleveland OH (but out in the country)
    Quote Originally Posted by ke_page View Post
    Mickey we have a problem!
    LMAO!!

My fp+ for tomorrow says I am going to magic kingdom and I am scheduled to ride soarin and test track. Ummm.... Mickey we have a problem!
    Oh my goodness!!! Hahahaha!!!!

I can't imagine the "fun" Disney IT folks are having at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ke_page View Post
    Want a good laugh? My fp+ for tomorrow says I am going to magic kingdom and I am scheduled to ride soarin and test track. Ummm.... Mickey we have a problem!
    That's one way of making sure that the FP line don't get over loaded with easy pulling of FP... LMAO.

When I get to a real computer I'm going to write a trip report on this fp+ crap. We have has the worst experience! Disney has comped us so much as a result of such a disaster it has been. I couldnt have imagine it being this bad ... They claim we are the exception.... We will see. But let me just tease you with they have rebooked our reservation 8 times in the last 36 hours!

Ps- our tickets don't pull fps but... The 30 room keys I have as a result of these bookings all pull them .... And there are no tickets on them at all... Pure cluster!

I mean this as nicely as possible. But that's hilarious. I can't imagine having 30 room keys to put into the Toy Story Mania FASTPASS machines.