Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DVC Use Year

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    I think you have longer to find that "right" contract than you realize. If you don't book until 7 months, you have until summer 2014 before you can book the trip anyway.
    Are you sure? I was thinking that I am going to need 2013 points for the January '15 trip since there aren't any January use years.

For example: The earliest use year is February, so I would get 100 points on February 1, 2014, which I could use for the January 2015 trip. But I would only be able to borrow another 100 from the 2015 points (since they wouldn't be available in January 2015). 2016 points would be completely unavailable. That only gives me 200 points to use. QED, the trip would either have to be pushed back to February 2015 or at least some 2013 points be available that could be banked.

Am I thinking of this right?
    I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitter

You need a later use year - one that hasn't come up yet (like June/September) or you need a Feb use year with the 2013 points still available.

If you had a Sept use year, you'd have Sept 2013 and 2014 points plus be able to borrow from 2015. Or find a Feb use year where the current owner has banked the points from 2013.

I think... I'm following your thread out of curiosity. Hope to purchase resale at some point in the future so I'm just trying to learn as I see info about it.

Yes, you are thinking of it correctly. Traveling in January 2015, you will need to use banked 2013 points for your trip since you need more than 200 points.

The difference I am pointing out is that contracts will be available on the Resale market that contain 2013 points for quite a while. Obviously the sooner you can find one, the more flexibility you have, but ... If you can find a "loaded" resale contract, the previous owner may have already banked these points for you, meaning you conceivably could purchase a contract a full year from now (for example) that contains 2013 points that were already banked.

Using the February UY example you gave, the 2013 points were "earned" back on 2/1/13, normally they would have until 1/31/14 to use them or they expire. They (or you) have until 9/30/13 to bank the points, allowing the points to be used all of the way until 1/31/15. So, even after 9/30/13 there will be contracts out there for sale with 2013 points which are already banked into 2014 by the owner selling it. Of course finding the right one may take patience, and you will need to avoid the ones where they already used all of the 2013 (or even 2014) points.

The reason I am sure of this is that we just closed a few months ago on a 50 point contract. It contained all 2012 points already banked into 2013, so we started out with double points in 2013, and normal in 2014 and on. We are taking a January 2014 trip using this 2012 and 2013 points, and with our June UY we actually have all the way until May 2014 to use these 2012 points. Take my scenario + 1 year, and you can do the same.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Yeah we are on the same page.

From my limited observations of the marketplace, stripped contracts stay on the market longer and command a lower price per point. Since I don't plan on traveling until 2015, a slightly stripped contract that can be had for a lower price per point (and not needing to pay most of the 2013 maintenance fees) would be more desirable than a loaded contract. The key is finding one with just enough points left in 2013 to allow my trip to happen (45 to 71 being the most desirable but with 21 or 47 doable) but undesirable enough to get a deal per point.

he's right
    We are a 1BR and quickly becoming a 2BR family.
    We've been vacationing like this for as long as we've had kids. I hear that whole families stay in single hotel rooms, but I can't for the life of me figure out how. We can cram the four of us into a single room for one night---MAYBE two---before there'd be blood on the walls, mine or theirs. We think of a 2BR as pretty much the minimum we'll get for the four of us, and even when it is just the two of us, we generally get 1BR units rather than studios/hotel rooms. When we are forced to stay at a hotel, we nearly always book connecting rooms, and even that is really considered a sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    We've been vacationing like this for as long as we've had kids. I hear that whole families stay in single hotel rooms, but I can't for the life of me figure out how. We can cram the four of us into a single room for one night---MAYBE two---before there'd be blood on the walls, mine or theirs. We think of a 2BR as pretty much the minimum we'll get for the four of us, and even when it is just the two of us, we generally get 1BR units rather than studios/hotel rooms. When we are forced to stay at a hotel, we nearly always book connecting rooms, and even that is really considered a sacrifice.
    If we are traveling by car and just stopping for the night somewhere, I either get a suite at an Embassy Suites or two connecting rooms.

I love my family, but I only want to sleep with my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by cdmurphy727 View Post
    You need a later use year - one that hasn't come up yet (like June/September) or you need a Feb use year with the 2013 points still available.
    Normally the Use Year would factor into this discussion more, but in his case (January trip) it actually doesn't make as much difference. He needs 2013 points no matter whcih Use Year he has.

But, back to the original question of the thread, there is an advantage to a later Use Year because if the trip was cancelled he would have more time to use the points before they expired. (Banked December 2013 points actually won't expire until 11/30/2015)
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Quote Originally Posted by Strangeite View Post
    Yeah we are on the same page.

From my limited observations of the marketplace, stripped contracts stay on the market longer and command a lower price per point. Since I don't plan on traveling until 2015, a slightly stripped contract that can be had for a lower price per point (and not needing to pay most of the 2013 maintenance fees) would be more desirable than a loaded contract. The key is finding one with just enough points left in 2013 to allow my trip to happen (45 to 71 being the most desirable but with 21 or 47 doable) but undesirable enough to get a deal per point.
    Agreed completely. Buying a partially stripped one now would very likely be cheaper compared to a loaded one a year from now.

Looks like you will be giving the rest of us DVC advice soon.
    Micah

MousePerks

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    Looks like you will be giving the rest of us DVC advice soon.
    I seriously doubt that. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum.

There is an XKCD that sums up nerds like me very well. My wife printed it out and keeps it on the fridge even though I am not really a Star Wars Extended Universe fan or a Ron Paul fan, but the message is dead on.

There really is something wrong with people like me. Right now I am about to go pull water bottles out of the freezer that I have been checking every 5 minutes for the last 2.5 hours. I have probe thermometer in freezer and using my laser thermometer as back-up.

Why?

Because I want to impress my kids with a little science.

Here is the video if anyone is interested.

Will work for Dole Whips. Brandie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangeite View Post

Here is the video if anyone is interested. . .
    My kids would think I was magic if I did that one with them.

Did it work for you?

Worked perfectly.

Make sure you watch the follow-up video with tips and tricks. Mine ended up taking closer to 3 hours, but I think that is because I didn't have them flat and spaced far enough apart.