Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Target - Disney Gift Card question

Target - Disney Gift Card question

So DH and I sat down last night and figured what we could pay in Disney Gift cards to take advantage of the 5% pharmacy rewards and the 5% from my Target debit card. With dining, MSSHP, Photopass+ and spending money the total came to $1550.

So is there a limit to the number of GCs I can buy in one transaction? As long as the funds are in the checking account the debit card is tied to, is there a limit to how much I can use the debit for in one day? I don't want to waltz up to the register at Target with 31 gift cards and have them take issue with it.
    Lisa

4/2004- ASMovies
    5/2007- Pop
    9/2009- Pop
    3/2012 - Pop (Surprise Trip!)
    10/2013 - First stay off property at Windsor Hills
    6/2015 - Land/Sea on Disney Dream!

My understanding is that the limit is dependent on whatever your bank account debit card spending limits are. It really varies by bank/account. They put a cap on it because they don't want a stolen debit card to rack up thousands of charges, since it's real money (unlike a credit card).

The only limit would be what your daily debit limit is. Ours is $1500. You can get that temporarily raised by calling your bank, or you can just buy the gift cards over a couple trips to Target. I'm there weekly, anyway. I just bought $850 worth of cards the other day to pay off our trip, and had no issue with it. I'll pick up a couple hundred dollars worth here and there over the next 6 wks to use for spending money when we go. The 5% doesn't seem like much, but when you can pair it with the pharmacy rewards it really adds up
    Me (Heather) DH (Patrick)
    DS16 (Alex) DD5 (Savannah)

If you are a new target red card (debit) holder, the max you will be able to buy may be very limited. I've seen reports as low as $300. It's a big complaint that no one at Target or even the Target debit card issuing folks can tell you what your limit is. Until you build a substantial history with our card, you will not be able to spend unlimited amounts on it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

rescued daughter from turk - that crazy gorilla! jandeeah's Avatar
    I was able to buy $2500 worth. What I did was went when it was not busy and went up to customer service and explained what I wanted to do. They had me get the cards and bring them to them and said we will try it and see. It worked. They may tell you that they don't think you will get the % off gift cards. You do but they do not all seem to know this.
    A couple of things I learned.

First of all plan your timing of this well. I suddenly realized I was carrying the equivalent of $2500 out of a store by myself. I had planned to run other errands while I was out but decided it was wiser to bring them straight home.

The other thing learned was originally we had planned to use the cards to pay for our hotel/ticket package. If you do that you can use as many cards as you like BUT if you are just buying tickets or MNSSHP tickets over the internet or phone you can only use 2 giftcards per transaction. If you plan to wait and purchase them when you arrive you can use as many as you like. (My TA and I know all of the fine print about this by now so if you have any questions about this part I or Jill can probably answer them)

Here is a picture of my stack after I got home.

Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

Quote Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
    If you are a new target red card (debit) holder, the max you will be able to buy may be very limited. I've seen reports as low as $300. It's a big complaint that no one at Target or even the Target debit card issuing folks can tell you what your limit is. Until you build a substantial history with our card, you will not be able to spend unlimited amounts on it.
    That is odd we had our card (debit) for less than a year when I did the $2500 transaction.
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

[QUOTE=jandeeah;166727]

The other thing learned was originally we had planned to use the cards to pay for our hotel/ticket package. If you do that you can use as many cards as you like BUT if you are just buying tickets or MNSSHP tickets over the internet or phone you can only use 2 giftcards per transaction. If you plan to wait and purchase them when you arrive you can use as many as you like. (My TA and I know all of the fine print about this by now so if you have any questions about this part I or Jill can probably answer them
    ]

I did not know this. If I call Disney, can they combine some of the gift cards?
    Lisa

4/2004- ASMovies
    5/2007- Pop
    9/2009- Pop

For our last trip I bought $2700 worth all in one transaction. My Limit on the Red Card (Credit) is $2500, but after the ~10% off, the total was under $2500.

I agree with the recommendation to be careful about carrying out of the store something worth that much, and also to make Target aware what you are doing before you do it. It took a while for the cashier to scan and activate them all, and also it was obvious to anyone around what was going on.

I actually just bought another $500 last night to start getting some for our next trip in January (rather than doing them all in one huge transaction).

Here was my stack of 54 of them:
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Merida
    I don't know if my bank is just really slow to process transactions, but I often go to Target with close to $0 in my bank account and the money isn't taken out until 3 days later. Is this the same with most people or down to my bank?! DH & I keep most of our money in our joint account, but I have my red card linked to my personal account (and I only transfer money to my personal account if and when I need to - except for the months when I'm working and getting paid by direct deposit anyway) So, if I go to Target on a Tuesday I just need to be sure to transfer the money before Friday... sometimes I wonder if/how the red card is tied to a bank account or if it is just processed as a payment. So far I've not had problems with limits and often go over what I have in my account, but I've not yet spent $1,000 which is my banks daily limit - I'll probably be picking up $1,500 in GC right before our trip so I will try to see if I can do it all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Merida View Post
    I don't know if my bank is just really slow to process transactions, but I often go to Target with close to $0 in my bank account and the money isn't taken out until 3 days later. Is this the same with most people or down to my bank?! DH & I keep most of our money in our joint account, but I have my red card linked to my personal account (and I only transfer money to my personal account if and when I need to - except for the months when I'm working and getting paid by direct deposit anyway) So, if I go to Target on a Tuesday I just need to be sure to transfer the money before Friday... sometimes I wonder if/how the red card is tied to a bank account or if it is just processed as a payment. So far I've not had problems with limits and often go over what I have in my account, but I've not yet spent $1,000 which is my banks daily limit - I'll probably be picking up $1,500 in GC right before our trip so I will try to see if I can do it all at once.
    I think it is a Target thing. I have heard them warn people about it when they get the debit card at out Target.
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

[QUOTE=Cinderelly;166732]
    Quote Originally Posted by jandeeah View Post

I did not know this. If I call Disney, can they combine some of the gift cards?
    No, they will not. Which I find to be ridiculous. I even contacted the special gift card customer service and they were just like nope sorry you can buy them when you get there...
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    For our last trip I bought $2700 worth all in one transaction. My Limit on the Red Card (Credit) is $2500, but after the ~10% off, the total was under $2500.

I agree with the recommendation to be careful about carrying out of the store something worth that much, and also to make Target aware what you are doing before you do it. It took a while for the cashier to scan and activate them all, and also it was obvious to anyone around what was going on.

I actually just bought another $500 last night to start getting some for our next trip in January (rather than doing them all in one huge transaction).

Here was my stack of 54 of them:
    I find it funny that we both took photos of our stack!
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

As long as we're talking about GCs, I have a question about using them at the resort. I was planning to get maybe $1000 worth to use for our meals, etc, when we're at WDW. Can I give them to the CM when I check in to the resort so that we can use our KTTW cards for charging? Or do you do that when you check out?

Sorry- don't mean to thread-jack!

That is odd we had our card (debit) for less than a year when I did the $2500 transaction.
    I wouldn't say you were a new card holder then. But many people read about buying the Disney cards at Target, go and get the debit red card and then walk in days later trying to buy thousands of dollars of cards. There's a few huge threads on the DIS budget board on this, so I've read of every conceivable problem, but that is a common one.

And yes, my number one pet peeve with the Target debit card is how much lag there is until things show up on my bank account. My husband works at Target and it's not unheard of for us to use our debit card 10 times a week between groceries, things he saw on sale, him getting lunch there someways, etc. I think my husband said that was tied to the fact that Target handles their own processing for that (in other words its not farmed out to Citibank or BofA, etc.). Apparently Target makes tons of money from those Target branded debit cards.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

I believe that what you can do is just charge to your room and then go up and pay off with your gift card when you get close to your limit. (the limit depends on if you are staying at a value, moderate or deluxe)
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

Quote Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
    I wouldn't say you were a new card holder then. But many people read about buying the Disney cards at Target, go and get the debit red card and then walk in days later trying to buy thousands of dollars of cards. There's a few huge threads on the DIS budget board on this, so I've read of every conceivable problem, but that is a common one.
    I see what you are saying. I do have to say I tried to find out the limit before I went and no one could tell me. I talked to a few different people a few different times and it was this odd no one has a clue thing...
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I've been going to Sams Club every day or two looking for the $50 gift cards they carry with a 7% discount. They're almost always out of them, but they have $25 gift cards (same discount). That picture above of the stack of $50's is daunting enough - can't imagine plunking down twice that many!
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

*sigh* We are arriving the day before our party day and we were planning on just hanging around WH that day. Our party day is 10/11 which is a Friday and it's not a discounted day. I guess I just need to decide if I want to wait till the day of the party to buy our tickets to save the 10% ($28) or just pay for them using my Disney Visa and earning the points ($2.80) but already having it done.

I'm kind of in a getting it all paid and done mood.
    Lisa

4/2004- ASMovies
    5/2007- Pop
    9/2009- Pop

Quote Originally Posted by hljoyce View Post
    As long as we're talking about GCs, I have a question about using them at the resort. I was planning to get maybe $1000 worth to use for our meals, etc, when we're at WDW. Can I give them to the CM when I check in to the resort so that we can use our KTTW cards for charging? Or do you do that when you check out?

You should apply them the day/evening before your check-out day. That is when they run your credit card through for all of the KTTK charges. Unless, like stated earlier, you are nearing your "credit limit". It might be better to pay down your charges 1/2 way through your stay, depending on how much you are planing to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by hljoyce View Post

I believe that what you can do is just charge to your room and then go up and pay off with your gift card when you get close to your limit. (the limit depends on if you are staying at a value, moderate or deluxe)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyW View Post
    You should apply them the day/evening before your check-out day. That is when they run your credit card through for all of the KTTK charges. Unless, like stated earlier, you are nearing your "credit limit". It might be better to pay down your charges 1/2 way through your stay, depending on how much you are planing to charge.
    We were not able to put them on our account at the beginning of the trip. We charged everything to our room along the way.

We were warned that if we reached $500 it would automatically go on the credit card, so we made sure to pay down the balance each time we got to about $300 or $400 just to be safe. They did say that even if it went to the credit card automatically they would be able to reverse the transaction, and then use the gift cards... but that would me more of a pain, and take longer.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

... If you do that you can use as many cards as you like BUT if you are just buying tickets or MNSSHP tickets over the internet or phone you can only use 2 giftcards per transaction. If you plan to wait and purchase them when you arrive you can use as many as you like. ...
    I remembered reading this recently too, which concerned me. But, I also read somewhere that someone was allowed to do it by calling a different department to apply the gift cards. You know anything about this? Is there some way around this policy?
    Micah

MousePerks

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    I remembered reading this recently too, which concerned me. But, I also read somewhere that someone was allowed to do it by calling a different department to apply the gift cards. You know anything about this? Is there some way around this policy?
    Well, Jill and I tried every way we could to get around it and never found a way. I am not saying there is not one but we tried for about a week to find it and never did.
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

Well, Jill and I tried every way we could to get around it and never found a way. I am not saying there is not one but we tried for about a week to find it and never did.
    That's too bad.

I called DVC Member Services (since DVC members can buy tickets through them) but they said the same thing... 2 per transaction.

The only way she knew of to use more was to use Guest Relations at WDW to do it... but she didn't know of anything over the phone or online. I would be more than happy to enter them all online (like I have done in the past to pay for rooms) but I didn't get the idea that was possible either.
    Micah

MousePerks

thanks all for the answers about the GCs. I'll probably stop by every other day to pay off our balance with GCs.

I just made a few phone calls and was told the same thing very consistently. To buy tickets over the phone or online you are limited to only 2 gift cards, per transaction. The best they could do would be to split each ticket into a separate transaction (doesn't work for kids) and then you get 2 gift cards per ticket.

The only solution each one gave me was buying them at a ticket window (which has no limit), so this seems to be the only official way. I did find a few people online claiming they did it by calling a different department, or by calling back until they got a CM that could help... but what I keep being told is that the system doesn't even let them.

I would normally just plan to buy them on the first night/day of our trip, but with all of the FP+ stuff coming... it will be much better to have my tickets linked to my reservations ahead of time. This isn't possible if I don't have tickets until the first day of the trip. Hmm....

The good news is that I have until January to figure this out. :)
    Micah

MousePerks