Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HOLY MOLEY...making FP+ for early August trip RIGHT NOW!

Why would anyone WANT a fast pass for 9am or whatever the earliest is? Isn't standby typically really short in the mornings?

This whole thing is so odd to me...haha. I'm glad the regular fast pass system should hopefully still exist when we go back.
    ~ Jill

I was offered 9:00 times in a couple spots. What I noticed is that I felt like it was driving me toward an area of the park I didn't want to be in. I set up FP+ for MK on two days... magically there was nothing available in Fantasyland before 11:55 am for me. They wanted to push me onto splash mountain first thing, then fantasy land and tomorrow land were 12-4ish. I also noticed it seemed like they were steering me toward booking major headliners at the very start or end of the day. If I go to AK and rush to the safari at 9am, I am doing standby not FP. I want to skip lines when there is an actual line to skip. They definitely limited how many passes were available for different rides because I went back to switch things later and spots that were once available weren't. This may be the test where they let people get screwed and see how bad it goes.

Some people were able to book wishes. I was online around 9 this morning and Wishes was never an option. I definitely did not get to choose from all of the FP+ attractions and different days left more of them out. I was never offered a parade or fireworks besides fantasmic. I don't know how they determined what my choices were, but I really felt like I was being pushed where I wouldn't naturally be. This also made me realize how much my family really doesn't use fastpasses... On Sunday I was breaking up a fight between my 10 and 4 year olds over whether we would go on Carousel of progress first or when it's too hot out. (In August isn't that the same thing?)

I realized a small issue with a select group of guests. We leave in just over a month. My son is just short of 40" tall. So now do I book him for the 40"+ rides? If he doesn't have a FP+ booked he won't be going with us. If I book it and he gets turned away... ? Now he doesn't get to use one. On the day of I would get one of us a fastpass for something to ride with him. Even if they gave him some sort of "sorry that sucks" pass he can't go on anything alone.

Quote Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
    My son is just short of 40" tall. So now do I book him for the 40"+ rides? If he doesn't have a FP+ booked he won't be going with us. If I book it and he gets turned away... ? Now he doesn't get to use one. On the day of I would get one of us a fastpass for something to ride with him. Even if they gave him some sort of "sorry that sucks" pass he can't go on anything alone.
    Can you buy him some tall shoes?
    Next trips -
    July 2019 - Mother/Daughter trip to Morocco and Paris - 1 day in Disneyland Paris
    December 2019 - Disney Magic - Dec 7-12

WDW -
    1993, 1997, 1998, 1999 (Cabins at Ft. Wilderness)
    9/2013 (POR)
    11/2014 (BWV)
    12/2015 (POP)
    9/2017 (CSR)
    8/2018 (POP)
    Disneyland - 2006, 2007, 2009

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case vatmark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaPond View Post
    Why would anyone WANT a fast pass for 9am or whatever the earliest is? Isn't standby typically really short in the mornings?

This whole thing is so odd to me...haha. I'm glad the regular fast pass system should hopefully still exist when we go back.
    Exactly. I don't want FP's for the morning but I think what will end up happening is that people will be forced to choose those times because no later times are available. Then we will have FP lines at rides that normally didn't have FP so what will happen to the standby lines in the morning?

Ann

OH SNAP, I just customized my MagicBands and they are now (allegedly) gonna be sent to our house! I forgot to mention that the rep confirmed what nobie47 said above about not being allowed to use the regular FP system if we're using FP+.

Quote Originally Posted by mousehelper View Post
    So, slow down, make a plan, and then make your selections. It's going to be fine! : )
    Amen, sister! It's Disney World...never forget that the fact that you are planning AT ALL puts you ahead of a LOT of the other people that will be there with you.
    Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaPond View Post
    I'll tell you my logic for getting earlier FP's on my DHS day. We're planning to be there at RD, go directly to TSMM and ride standby, and then head over to Sunset and ride RnRC or ToT standby (maybe both, if we're lucky) before our ToT FP+ window closes at 10:10. We'll then use our RnRC and ToT FP's before lollygagging our way around until our TSMM window opens at 2:00. I dunno. It's all an experiment, it may make much less sense in practice.
    Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by claytonia View Post
    OH SNAP, I just customized my MagicBands and they are now (allegedly) gonna be sent to our house! I forgot to mention that the rep confirmed what nobie47 said above about not being allowed to use the regular FP system if we're using FP+.

Amen, sister! It's Disney World...never forget that the fact that you are planning AT ALL puts you ahead of a LOT of the other people that will be there with you.
    So it's one system or the other? I was really hoping we might be lucky and get to use both.

I am not going to lie, even though I am optimistic that Fastpass+ is going to be good in the long run, I'm glad this test starts when our trip is almost over. Primarily because of how Fastpass+ might mess with morning touring.
    I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitter

I've got to say that this is hard to figure out. While I love being able to sit here and see 3 FP already booked it also makes me nervous I'd be looking at long standby waits in between my FP+ times with no ability to pull more FP.

Got my official invite this afternoon! I had already done everything on the instruction PDF (link my reservation to my MDE account, pick FP+'s, order MagicBands, etc.) but I'm glad to be an honest-to-goodness Chosen One.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMiller View Post
    So it's one system or the other? I was really hoping we might be lucky and get to use both.
    I believe it is one or the other, Jason. I'm nervous about it, too, but I think in the long run I'm going to be glad that I already have reservations to ride the headliners and can therefore use early morning/late night prime touring time to do the other stuff. It's going to be interesting to see how it works in real life, but I'm optimistic.
    Clayton

Clayton - did your rep confirm that we could use FP+ on one day and choose to use regular FP on another day?
    2008: offsite, 2009: Pop Century, 2010: Movies, 2011: Movies, 2012: Pop Century, 2013: Pop Century, 2014: Pop Century,
    2015: AKV-Kidani, 2016: Pop Century, 2017: Pop Century, 2018: Pop Century, 2019: Old Key West

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Sounds like it's an expanded test from August 2 - 25 with guests staying at Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Yacht Club, and Pop Century.
    Yup. My check-in date at the Comtemporary is August 25th, and it is linked to Magic bands and FP+.

This will be interesting, since I am doing a split stay, and this is the second portion of the trip. My tickets were 8day hoppers purchased through the package for the first 4 days of the trip. I haven't booked any FP+, times but only took a quick peak at MDE. Seems I can reserve FP+ only for the portion of the trip covered by the room-only reservation at the Contemporary. Wondering what this will mean for pulling FP during the first part of the trip.

I am not feeling like a chosen one... more like a lab rat!

I want a band just because I think it will be a lot easier than carrying around the room key cards.
    I don't want FP+ because if can only get 3 of those, but can't also use the regular system, I would probably wind up with less FPs than normal. Less is not. Plus someone said you can't get more than one of each attraction, we usually get 2 to 3 for TSM.

I am going at the end of Aug at POR and someone else mentioned those dates and said they had it on MDE. But those were not the dates or the hotels that Josh mentioned.
    This whole things seems a little bit unclear and unknown. I don't know what to make of it.
    I can't imagine many people liking the idea of FP+ in the first place, as the masses typically have no idea before they go which park they are going to each day.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

Yesterday on MDE the FP+ option was there, but when I clicked on it, it was pretty generic (I think someone posted it earlier) and it would not let me use the feature.
    Today there was an option for Magic Bands. I started the process and it seemed like it was going to work, but when it asked me to pick my tickets, they did not appear. So it asked me to link them, but it said they were already linked. I then went back, and the Magic Bands option had disappeared. I'm guessing I am still not in the test group and they are having glitches.

I wish they did it more on a first come, first serve basis across all of the hotels. We are already checked in, and they can see we having dining reservations so we know where we are going to be when.

i to will be at POR august 19 - 26 and the FP+ shows up with the magic bands but I don't have tickets in hand yet to link so I can't do anything. I would prefer to not have the FP+ as it has taken me 6 months to do a touring plan since I haven't been in a number of yrs or ever used FP to begin with....
    Karin
    Visiting off and on since the 70's
    And since finding this site in 2013, never go without my ​Easy Guide

Quote Originally Posted by gccmedina View Post
    i to will be at POR august 19 - 26 and the FP+ shows up with the magic bands but I don't have tickets in hand yet to link so I can't do anything. I would prefer to not have the FP+ as it has taken me 6 months to do a touring plan since I haven't been in a number of yrs or ever used FP to begin with....
    We are at POR as well. We have a package plan so the tickets are linked to the reservation. They appear in the reservations section, but don't have any ticket numbers or anything.
    You said you don't have tickets in hand, does that mean you don't have a package and are buying tickets independently?

we went through AAA so I don't have anything right now. we also did a package, my reservation does have on it 6 day park ticket but I don't have ticket numbers either
    Karin

we went through AAA so I don't have anything right now. we also did a package, my reservation does have on it 6 day park ticket but I don't have ticket numbers either
    Do you have your reservation showing up in MDE? The last time I booked a package with AAA my confirmation page from AAA showed a confirmation # and it was Disney's number. If you haven't, try to link that reservation # to your online account and you should be able to see everything.

everything is showing up in MDE but I can't do the FP+ or magic bands even though that is also there, probably because we are not a part of the trial. jus thought it was strange asking for ticket numbers to link I have not gone on this am so I will do that next and see what is there
    Karin

just looked my tickets are linked
    Karin

everything is showing up in MDE but I can't do the FP+ or magic bands even though that is also there, probably because we are not a part of the trial. jus thought it was strange asking for ticket numbers to link I have not gone on this am so I will do that next and see what is there
    It all makes no sense to me. Why do I have the web-links in my MDE to both the FP+ and the magic bands? I go to them and it tells me to link my tickets/reservation. I do that and it tells me it is already linked.
    There is a section on the bottom of the MDE that has "learn more about FP+..." If I am not eligible for the FP+ and MDE, then I should not have the other links that are supposed to be for using them. The "learn about" is all I should really have.

I spoke to a CM yesterday who seemed to know what he was talking about. He said they had just had a meeting about the testing. I was calling because I am at POP in August & MDE was trying to let me make FP+ reservations and get MBs but my "friends & family" section was all screwed up - some people were showing up as "not eligible for FP+" even though we all have the same tickets attached to a package. Anyway, the CM said not to worry about it because the web site was having a glitch that gave people access to FP+ when they shouldn't have it, and unless I get an e-mail I am not in the testing. And even if we were in the testing we could opt out. With 11 people travelling together, and 3 separate reservation packages it is too much to try to get FP+ coordinated!!

HA! Josh was right. Somebody's got some explaining to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Marianna View Post
    HA! Josh was right. Somebody's got some explaining to do.
    No one needs to explain to me that Josh is always right. Don't we all know that already?

So because I didn't receive an email about any of this my choices may just disappear at some point? Good to know that so I'm not shocked if it happens. honestly I'd probably be just as happy using the current system for 1 more trip anyway.