Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Our No Surprises Trip Report

rescued daughter from turk - that crazy gorilla! jandeeah's Avatar

Our No Surprises Trip Report

Our No Surprises trip

After our last surprise trip (more on that later). We have deemed this trip NO SURPRISES! Although we do have one tiny surprise planned. I think it will be well received.

About our Cast:

Me (Andrea): Disney Addict and OCD planner. I have loved Disney since I was 5 and my grandparents took me to stay at the Contemporary and visited Magic Kingdom back in 1980.

Jay: My sweet husband who loves Disney also. We honeymooned in Disney in 1994. He is totally laid back. No OCD in him anywhere. He is happy to let me plan and he just comes along for the ride.

AnnaMay: Our daughter who is 8. She has a severe anxiety disorder and sensory processing disorder. (She is an avoider which means she does not like things that stimulate her senses too much.) But with all that she loves Disney. She does not do many rides and can’t stay at the parks long but it is still her favorite place to go.

Nanny: She comes along to help with AnnaMay some and she loves to just watch AnnaMay enjoy Disney. (And AnnaMay believes she must come because she came with us the first time and in AnnaMay’s world you do it that way once it should always be that way)

We are planning to be there October 12th-19th. I know it is crazy early to start a trip report but I am needing a Disney fix so I thought I would start it and give you a little history of our past trips. Hopefully by then it will be close to time to start my real trip report. Forgive me if I bore you.
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

My First trip to Disney was when I was 5. My grandparents took me and my mom. We stayed at the Contemporary. I remember eating at Chef Mickey’s (I do not know if that was it’s name back then). I remember kissing Goofy’s nose and it made him fall down when he came to our table. They also took us to visit Sea World and Circus World while we were there.

Here are a few pictures from that trip. (Sorry for the quality I do not have a scanner)

My Mom and I on the Carousel

Goofy by a trash can. You don’t see that any more.

Mom and I on Dumbo

About a year later my grandparents took us again. This time my dad was able to get off work and come too. We stayed at the contemporary again. I remember we could see where they were building part of Epcot that trip. We went to Kennedy Space Center while we were there too. I remember not being able to understand why we could not stay for another week to see the shuttle launch.

Here is a picture on Tomorrow Land speedway with my Dad.

Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

I'm in

Steph
    Link to June 2018 Trip Report:
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...d=1#post419048

1997 CBR, 2004 ASMo, 2005 CBR
    2007 Pop x 2, 2008 ASMu, 2009 Pop
    2010 ASMu, 2013 CBR, 2016 CSR
    2018 Windsor Palms

expert on dietary needs and disney dining clanmcculloch's Avatar
    Love the early WDW pictures. How great is that? I'm looking forward to reading all about your trip!

Merida
    I'll definitely be following along!

Quote Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
    Love the early WDW pictures. How great is that? I'm looking forward to reading all about your trip!
    Yes, it makes me laugh my dad is wearing a white button down shirt and my mom is wearing a skirt. One of the pictures I have from Kennedy space Center with my dad he is wearing a suit coat. Ha! Times have changed!
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

I can't imagine getting dressed up to go to the parks! The pics are great.
    Link to June 2018 Trip Report:
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...d=1#post419048

1997 CBR, 2004 ASMo, 2005 CBR
    2007 Pop x 2, 2008 ASMu, 2009 Pop
    2010 ASMu, 2013 CBR, 2016 CSR
    2018 Windsor Palms

I'm in. :) We will be there Oct 10-16 so we might see you around!
    Lisa

4/2004- ASMovies
    5/2007- Pop
    9/2009- Pop
    3/2012 - Pop (Surprise Trip!)
    10/2013 - First stay off property at Windsor Hills
    6/2015 - Land/Sea on Disney Dream!

Love the photos! Can't wait to read more.
    -Jennifer

I feel your pain on needing a Disney fix! I love those photos!
    Brandi

In December of 1994 I married Jay. We decided to go to Disney World for our honeymoon. We did not stay on Disney property and we did not have a rental car. I was 18 and he was 19 so no one would rent us one. We used the hotel shuttle to take us back and forth to the parks. We also went to Medieval Times and King Henry’s Feast. The parks were dead when we were there. Good thing because I did no planning. We just headed to the parks and did whatever looked fun. We did eat at King Stefan’s banquet Hall. We went to the castle when we got to the park and made a reservation. I still have the card they gave us with our reservation on it. It says:

Welcome, Fantasyland traveler to King Stefan’s Banquet Hall, located in Cinderella Castle, breakfast , lunch, and dinner are served daily. Reservations may be obtained only at King Stefan’s as a service for our guests. Sorry, phone reservations cannot be accepted.

Boy have times changed!!

We came back again for our 5th anniversary. This time we were able to stay on property at Coronado Springs. We really enjoyed it. We still did no planning and just went with the flow. It seemed a bit more crowded than our honeymoon but not much. We still did not wait in any lines. I will have to dig around in some boxes. I am sure I have some pictures from our trip somewhere.
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

I'm in, those photos are awesome.
    Josh (No, not that one)

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    I love, love, love the pics! Your sunglasses are awesome, and yes we all dressed up to go to theme parks back then too. So true how times have changed.

Sorry, phone reservations cannot be accepted.
    !! Imagine them trying to re-institute this now? There would be riots and probably some sort of Occupy Disney event.

Quote Originally Posted by pfalcioni View Post
    I love, love, love the pics! Your sunglasses are awesome, and yes we all dressed up to go to theme parks back then too. So true how times have changed.

!! Imagine them trying to re-institute this now? There would be riots and probably some sort of Occupy Disney event.
    Can you imagine the threads on DIS??? HA!
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

expert on dietary needs and disney dining clanmcculloch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jandeeah View Post
    Can you imagine the threads on DIS??? HA!
    There are somewhat regular threads on the dining reservation board about how people wish they'd go back to the old way of checking a board and using a phone by the board to book reservations and how you used to not be able to do it any other way and blah blah blah. You'd think that 180 day ADRs were an evil plot from somebody trying to take over the world (sorry, DD15's been watching Animaniacs a lot lately; gotta love Pinky and the Brain).

I love Pinky and the Brain. I remember when we were at Epcot on our honeymoon. You could see the person you were talking to on a video screen. VERY impressive...
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

I always get weird and nervous with a video link where I can see the person on the other end of the line. I would have probably tried to step to the side so I could have just dealt with it like a normal phone call!

I also wanted to say I love your braids, your mom must have spent quite some time in the morning doing your hair!

I'm in Andrea! I'm glad it isn't going to be a surprise this time for Anna May.
    -Ashley

Quote Originally Posted by pfalcioni View Post
    I always get weird and nervous with a video link where I can see the person on the other end of the line. I would have probably tried to step to the side so I could have just dealt with it like a normal phone call!

I also wanted to say I love your braids, your mom must have spent quite some time in the morning doing your hair!
    Ha! Pam that so sounds like something I would do!!!

My mom did my hair like that every day when I was little so that I would not get tangles.
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

I really enjoyed the older photos as well. Please look for more. I love stuff like that.

For our 10th anniversary we chose to stay by Sea World and just do Sea World and Discovery Cove. We knew if we went to Disney at all we would not leave. I ended up being very glad we did because I was 2 months pregnant with AnnaMay and did not feel well at all while we were there. We were able to relax and take it slow. We did end up going to Downtown Disney for an afternoon. I had to get a little of my Disney fix in. The things I remember most about this trip (other than feeling sick) are relaxing in the lazy river at Discovery Cove. Never liking the food I ordered anyplace and always ended up stealing whatever Jay ordered (this was before my food allergies). He was so sweet and always just ate whatever I did not want. The dolphin trainer telling us that the dolphin we were in the water with could see AnnaMay because the dolphin uses sound waves to see (I don’t know if that was true but it seemed cool).
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

Mid June we welcomed AnnaMay into the world. She is our miracle. The doctors told us we could not have her and even after she was conceived they were sure I would never carry her to term. Well, they were wrong. (She was so worth the 10 year wait.)

Jay fell in love....

And he started talking about saving his bonuses so that we could do a wonderful trip to Disney when AnnaMay was 4 ½. It would be our 15 anniversary. The plan was that this was going to be a big one time trip. Maybe we would go back again for our 20th.
    Andrea

Disney before Drudgery!

Read about my trips here

I love the look on your husband's face.
    ~Diana

Oh, such beautiful pics!

I don't think it's too early to start a trip report - if we go for our 5-year anniversary this year (October 12) - we'll be there at the same time! I love the memories & photos!
    Stacie