Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Disneyland trip planning

Hotel near the park I would recommend Howard Johnson. They have a cute pirate themed kids pool and sometimes have good specials running.

LA things to do I recommend: Disney Soda Fountain, Walk of Stars, Beach/Santa Monica Pier, Getty Museum (free but you must register online ahead of time) Griffith Park and Observatory (The LA zoo is near here too and is a nice smaller size zoo without too expensive admission)

Mousewait will not give you a schedule or touring plan. but there is a lot of info and tips and tricks there. I have found their wait times to be way more accurate than any of the other apps. Its also nice that they have a forum for questions like this one) Also if you are a member Howard Johnson gives discounts to Mousewait members.

don't ask me to spin in circles mdsd8700's Avatar
    In case anyone is still looking for a room; Orbitz is having another sale. It includes the DLR hotels and many of those nearby. Must be booked by May 8th, travel through August 31st. There is also a ticket discount to add when booking. 4 days for the cost of 3 or 5 days for the cost of 4. Have to go all the way through the booking process to add the discount code, but can do it before you need to input credit card info.

http://www.orbitz.com/travel-deals/48-hour-hotel-sale/

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    WOC : There is no seating, at all. Unless you have a GAC or other need to be able to sit. I recommend doing the dining package at one of the sit down restaurants in the park if you can afford it. (options are carthay circle, ariels grotto and wine country trattoria) This way you get a special reserved area and do not need to be in line insanely early.
    If you don't want to be stuck behind someone who has put their child up on their shoulders.....you still need to line up around the same time as anyone with any other FP for the show. Honestly.....the Blue FPs are very easy to get and you really can get great views and only need to arrive about 1 hour and 15 minutes before show time....which really is the same time you should line up for the dinner reserved area. So really....no gain there. The only reason that I'd recommend doing any meal is because you just don't want to deal with getting a FP and you really feel like eating at that location. I've never had a dinner and always had great spots without arriving much more then an hour before the show start. I've had clients who have done the meals and they have needed to be in line at the same time.
    Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by blyday View Post
    If you don't want to be stuck behind someone who has put their child up on their shoulders.....you still need to line up around the same time as anyone with any other FP for the show. Honestly.....the Blue FPs are very easy to get and you really can get great views and only need to arrive about 1 hour and 15 minutes before show time....which really is the same time you should line up for the dinner reserved area. So really....no gain there.
    I honestly think it depends on how busy the park is.

So, regarding Blue FP or Carthay Circle WOC area, which would you DL veterans choose for first week of December crowds??? We really want to be at the rail in either area.

Are you planning on being in DCA that morning? If so....then grabbing a blue FP is really easy. If Carthay Circle sounds good and you are wanting to eat there anyway, or you are not planning on being in DCA in the morning....then I would do the meal.
    Brenda

So, I just thought we were flying in on December 1. Little did I know how crazy airfare is on that day. So, we are now coming on November 30 and staying somewhere along Harbor for one night. Then we will transfer to VGC.

I was planning to do M-F as my park days because they will be the least crowded.

Now I have Sunday as an extra day....would DTD and checking out PPH and DLH fill up a whole day? If it is warm enough to swim, we will totally do that too!

Any other suggestions? My kids will be 4 and 7, and we will not have a rental car.

We like to do a character meal at one of the resorts and then walk the resort and around DTD on our off days. It surprisingly does fill up the day and makes it relaxing yet fun.

Question.....if they go to the rumored Christmas Party.....are you sure you wouldn't rather do Sun-Thur and then Friday morning off and Christmas party that evening?? Just something to think about. I do hope that if they go to a Christmas Party that they will announce it sooner rather then later. It would be good to know.
    Brenda

We like to do a character meal at one of the resorts and then walk the resort and around DTD on our off days. It surprisingly does fill up the day and makes it relaxing yet fun.

Question.....if they go to the rumored Christmas Party.....are you sure you wouldn't rather do Sun-Thur and then Friday morning off and Christmas party that evening?? Just something to think about. I do hope that if they go to a Christmas Party that they will announce it sooner rather then later. It would be good to know.
    GREAT point! Yes, I am sure it will change if they do the party. Which I am kind of hoping they do!! What nights of the week do they host the Halloween parties?

Nice grab; this username is going to be worth more than twitter.com/disney in 2020. Just cut me in like 10% DisneyMom's Avatar
    We are going Aug. 20 - 30. My tentative plan is (but nothing besides airfare is booked yet):
    Arrive around noon Tues, check in at hotel near DL and rest, and then go to an Angels game in the evening. It will be late, late for us, but hopefully that will help us adjust to the time
    difference - 4 hours for us!
    Weds - Fri - DLR
    Sat - visit a beach (or beaches), not to lay in the sand, just to see them and say we've been there and drive to San Diego.
    Sun and Mon - Sea World and or San Diego zoo. Sun night drive back and check in at hotel in or near Burbank
    Tues - Fri - Studio tour, Universal and Hollywood - maybe Jeopardy if it is available
    Obviously, I have a lot of research and work to do. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Denise25 View Post
    We are looking at the Warner Bros studio tour, mainly due to good ratings on Trip Advisor, and also they apparently have a lot of Harry Potter stuff on display, which is a big selling point to the kids. We are also looking at doing one of the tours offered by Ultimate Hollywood Tours, which also received a high rating on Trip Advisor. The tour I'm looking at does typical Hollywood stuff -- Hollywood sign, Walk of Fame, stars' homes, etc. It looks like fun, you ride in a little touring bus thing, that is open in the back.
    I am also leaning towards the WB tour. I've read WB is more TV and Paramount is more movies. From what I've read, Sony is the other choice but is not worth doing. I think I am going to try to get Jeopardy tickets though if they are available. I'm going to look into the Ultimate Hollywood tours too - thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
    That Ultimate Hollywood Tours sounds interesting. I'll have to look more into that one. I had also read some good reviews of WB studio tour so that's why I was thinking that one. Good to know about the Harry Potter stuff. It's sounding better and better. I haven't actually looked at Trip Advisor. They kind of scare me because all the crazies seem to head there to post their complaints. I find it hard to weed through those to find the real reviews. I do like hearing about legitimate complaints but complaints where somebody didn't like the fact that it rained and they got wet or they showed up early and weren't allowed in before their reservation time or they asked for the wrong thing and were upset that they weren't comped or other things like this IMO are not legitimate complaints and it seems like they have a lot of that kind of thing over there. Mabye it's gotten better and I should take another look.
    I find TripAdvisor really helpful for choosing a hotel in an area we've never stayed. So far, I've never gone wrong by following it's rating. I find them really accurate. Yes - there are oddball reviews here and there but I look at the majority and go with that and find that the rating (like #3 out of #200 hotels in the area) is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by mdsd8700 View Post
    In case anyone is still looking for a room; Orbitz is having another sale. It includes the DLR hotels and many of those nearby. Must be booked by May 8th, travel through August 31st. There is also a ticket discount to add when booking. 4 days for the cost of 3 or 5 days for the cost of 4. Have to go all the way through the booking process to add the discount code, but can do it before you need to input credit card info.

http://www.orbitz.com/travel-deals/48-hour-hotel-sale/
    Thanks for this link. I'm going to look at it. I've never booked through a third party like this except Hotwire, so will have to see how it works and if it is worth it.

Are you planning on being in DCA that morning? If so....then grabbing a blue FP is really easy. If Carthay Circle sounds good and you are wanting to eat there anyway, or you are not planning on being in DCA in the morning....then I would do the meal.
    Brenda - if we are not staying onsite, there will be people getting into DCA before us. Is that correct? I may be wrong, am going by memory and still have a lot of reading to do. Would we still be able to get the blue FP on any day do you think?
    Last edited by DisneyMom; 05-06-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Fix quote
    Starr

Feb/Mar 2010 - CSR
    Jan 2011 - CSR
    May 2012 - ASSp for Expedition Everest Challenge
    Aug 2013 - DLR Offsite
    March 2016 - POR

Generally, the Halloween party is Tues and Fri.
    Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMom View Post

Brenda - if we are not staying onsite, there will be people getting into DCA before us. Is that correct? I may be wrong, am going by memory and still have a lot of reading to do. Would we still be able to get the blue FP on any day do you think?
    Early Entry for onsite guest to DCA are Mon, Wed, Fri and Sun and DL park on Tues, Thurs and Sat. So....if you go on a day that the park doesn't have the Early Entry for onsight guests....then you can easily get in to do Carsland, etc. That said....note that Disneyland does NOT distribute FPs before the official park opening. So....if the park opens at 9 AM and the onsite guests get in at 8 AM, they FPs will not start to be distributed until 9 AM.....so even on that day it would be easy to grab a FP for WOC. Now Carsland is a different story!!!
    Brenda

Nice grab; this username is going to be worth more than twitter.com/disney in 2020. Just cut me in like 10% DisneyMom's Avatar
    Oh...so we should do DCA on Weds or Thurs then. I will file that away for later. :) We also get one day early entry to DL with 3 day hoppers I think - I will have to look into what day that should be. I guess I will also need to look into if the shows are every night or not. This is so much harder without a 'Josh'!
    Starr

Feb/Mar 2010 - CSR
    Jan 2011 - CSR
    Aug 2013 - DLR Offsite
    March 2016 - POR

Early Entry for onsite guest to DCA are Mon, Wed, Fri and Sun and DL park on Tues, Thurs and Sat. So....if you go on a day that the park doesn't have the Early Entry for onsight guests....then you can easily get in to do Carsland, etc. That said....note that Disneyland does NOT distribute FPs before the official park opening. So....if the park opens at 9 AM and the onsite guests get in at 8 AM, they FPs will not start to be distributed until 9 AM.....so even on that day it would be easy to grab a FP for WOC. Now Carsland is a different story!!!
    LOL - I was reading your last reply as reply to my DCA question. Must be time for bed. Great info! When you say Carsland is different - do you mean they do give out FP early - or that it just gets crazy quick? Which I have gathered from what I've seen.
    Starr

Feb/Mar 2010 - CSR
    Jan 2011 - CSR
    Aug 2013 - DLR Offsite
    March 2016 - POR

LOL - I was reading your last reply as reply to my DCA question. Must be time for bed. Great info! When you say Carsland is different - do you mean they do give out FP early - or that it just gets crazy quick? Which I have gathered from what I've seen.
    No....that was my fault....we were posting at the same time and I didn't specify it...that is why I went back and edited it.

What I mean about Carsland is that if you go on a day that has the Early Entry (or Magic Morning or EMH or whatever they are calling it these days!!) you will be waiting in a long line for Radiator Springs Racers. Even the FP line will be at least a 30+ minute long line right at park opening. And the other attractions in Carsland will build lines quickly also. And....while you are waiting to do those attractions....Toy Story Mania's line will increase to a 40+ minute long wait and there are no FPs there!! So....if Carsland is on your radar, you really will want to do a RD there when there is not an Early Entry for onsite guests.

With a 3 day ticket.....I'd recommend doing a Tues - Thur type schedule or a Thur-Sat. That will give you one morning that you can do the early entry into DL park (it is the same days as for onsite guest that you get to use your one time Early Entry) and have one other day that you can RD DCA on a non-early entry day.

Oh and as for shows.....if it is off season.....the Fireworks and F! will only be on Fri-Sun. If it is busier....then they will be every night. And WOC is done every night all year long.
    Brenda

It gets crazy quick...ready Hydroguy on the DIS...he's got some great info. Last Oct we did RD at DCA, and used his wide right method to Carsland and were one of the first 10 to ride. It may have changed since then, but it worked for us.
    Michele

Was that early entry? Does that method work without early entry as we will be staying offsite. I need to go read it. I have read some of his stuff, but have a lot more to read.
    Starr

Feb/Mar 2010 - CSR
    Jan 2011 - CSR
    Aug 2013 - DLR Offsite
    March 2016 - POR

Yes, that was early entry. We were staying at the Grand Californian. Good luck with your planning - it makes you appreciate Josh even more!
    Michele

No....that was my fault....we were posting at the same time and I didn't specify it...that is why I went back and edited it.

What I mean about Carsland is that if you go on a day that has the Early Entry (or Magic Morning or EMH or whatever they are calling it these days!!) you will be waiting in a long line for Radiator Springs Racers. Even the FP line will be at least a 30+ minute long line right at park opening. And the other attractions in Carsland will build lines quickly also. And....while you are waiting to do those attractions....Toy Story Mania's line will increase to a 40+ minute long wait and there are no FPs there!! So....if Carsland is on your radar, you really will want to do a RD there when there is not an Early Entry for onsite guests.

With a 3 day ticket.....I'd recommend doing a Tues - Thur type schedule or a Thur-Sat. That will give you one morning that you can do the early entry into DL park (it is the same days as for onsite guest that you get to use your one time Early Entry) and have one other day that you can RD DCA on a non-early entry day.

Oh and as for shows.....if it is off season.....the Fireworks and F! will only be on Fri-Sun. If it is busier....then they will be every night. And WOC is done every night all year long.
    We are getting in on a Tues and tentatively planned to do DLR Weds - Fri. so that might be a problem, I can see... Hmmm, we could do the other parts of our trip first and then do DLR Tues to Thurs the next week before we fly out on Friday.
    And I'm pretty sure they will be every night then as we are there Aug 20 - 30.
    Starr

Feb/Mar 2010 - CSR
    Jan 2011 - CSR
    Aug 2013 - DLR Offsite
    March 2016 - POR

Quote Originally Posted by Micklessor View Post
    Yes, that was early entry. We were staying at the Grand Californian. Good luck with your planning - it makes you appreciate Josh even more!
    That's for sure!
    Starr

Feb/Mar 2010 - CSR
    Jan 2011 - CSR
    Aug 2013 - DLR Offsite
    March 2016 - POR

Was that early entry? Does that method work without early entry as we will be staying offsite. I need to go read it. I have read some of his stuff, but have a lot more to read.
    Yes....that method works for offsite also....but as I mentioned...you really need to be there on a non-early entry day. Even with this method.....if you go on an Early Entry morning....the line will already be about 20-30 minutes long with those who got in early. Now.....if you are all okay with doing a single rider line.....then that would work so do this method and go straight into the single rider line. That time in the morning the wait should be less then 10 minutes....probably even 5.
    Brenda

My June dates have two Fantasmic's and two World of Colors - are there FP's available for the second WoC show?
    There is a great and lasting truth about the family of man. A truth which separates us from all the other creatures of the Earth. We can dream.
    ~Tapestry of Nations~

expert on dietary needs and disney dining clanmcculloch's Avatar
    Wow, so much to think about. I'm enjoying reading about others plans. I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't done much planning yet. I figure if they don't even allow us to book our ADRs until 60 days out then it can't be too big of a deal to not have much done yet. Then again, 2 of the good neighbour resorts we were interested in were sold out for the suite types we wanted to if anybody's looking for suites with a kitchen directly across the street from the parks then you'd better hurry up and book. If you're looking for anything else, there's still plenty of availability I believe.

Has anybody looked that the Go Los Angeles cards at all?

Trudy, I'm thinking of buying the Go Card for the Warner Bros tour and the wax museum thing. It saves us money if we do those two activities. We don't have enough other things going on, but it does look like a good way to save some $$. I think we are going to get the room with 3 beds at the Desert Inn and Suites or the room with the bunk beds at the Anaheim Del Sol Inn, if they're still available.

Brenda, thanks for all of the info!! We are using our 3-day hopper pass on Thurs-Sat, so that works out with your suggested days to go to the parks. I will need to look and see what day to do DCA.

All of this chatter is getting me all excited!