Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheat Sheet - Feedback?

Cheat Sheet - Feedback?

I've been trying to come up with a way to present basic information in a more concise manner. This is what I have as an example at the moment:

http://www.easywdw.com/reports7/ak_cheat_draft.pdf

It includes a color coded map (zoom if it's too small by default)
    How rope drop works
    Basic touring idea
    Fastpass priority list
    Ideal morning plan
    How to spend the afternoon
    Parade viewing tips (It should say Tamu Tamu Refreshments, forgive me)
    Expected wait times based on crowd levels (and assuming the park is recommended)

I have in mind to copy/paste the information into a post with links so if you want more information, you can click. For example, you could click on Kilimanjaro Safaris and see this: http://www.easywdw.com/rides/kiliman...k-review-info/ or click on Flame Tree BBQ and see this: http://www.easywdw.com/dining/flame-...nimal-kingdom/ etc.

What you see in the PDF is kind of a rough idea of what I'm thinking.

I'm wondering:

A. Helpful?
    B. Anything to add/delete

Very helpful. Appreciate the red, yellow, green metaphor but I would prefer the colors be less subtle.

WOW!!! That is INCREDIBLY helpful. It's easy to read, concise without skipping anything essential, and those wait time charts are AMAZING. I have never seen anything like them. If you do one of these for each park, planning a park tour is going to be so much easier. Are you going to include advice about how best to do the nighttime spectaculars in the other parks' plans? That would be super helpful, especially for newbs. Two thumbs up, and I wish I had more thumbs.
    Clayton

Claytonia, I'll give you my two thumbs to add.

A. Helpful! I really like the the predicted wait time charts. I've been to the parks 11 times, and I'd still print those out and use them.

I think this is awesome! It is a great tool for first timers who need a general idea of the priorities, etc. Plus, the estimated wait time chart gives people a better idea of what to expect throughout the day if something comes up and they are planning on the fly. Many of us veterans know how to make the most out of a day in those situations, but it could be really overwhelming to someone who doesn't go often.

I also really like the PDF as is. I think if more links and additional information gets added, it gets cluttered and is once again overwhelming. If you want to add links to rides/restaurants, you could do that, but also leave a simple version as a printable PDF that people could just carry into the park. Great job!!

Not enough words to describe how AWESOME that is! Looks great!
    Jenny
    March 2017 WDW Swan; October 2017 Grand Floridian; March 2018 AKL
    January 2015: Art of Animation ; May 2015 BWI; Nov 2015 Polynesian, W&D 1/2
    September 2014 BLT celebrating DS 3rd bday!
    January 2014: WDW 1/2 marathon/Beach Club
    October 2013: TOT 10 MILER/WL
    February 2013:POFQ (DS 1st trip!)
    May 2010: Dolphin
    Christmas 2009: offsite at Floridays

+ two thumbs!
    Lisa

4/2004- ASMovies
    5/2007- Pop
    9/2009- Pop
    3/2012 - Pop (Surprise Trip!)
    10/2013 - First stay off property at Windsor Hills
    6/2015 - Land/Sea on Disney Dream!

Quote Originally Posted by craigers View Post
    Very helpful. Appreciate the red, yellow, green metaphor but I would prefer the colors be less subtle.
    Rather, perhaps the color of the paths and water ways should be less saturated. The information architect utilitarian in me doesn’t think the dominate colors of these two adds much to the spirit of the document. There is a lot more content to extract than where to walk and where not to walk.

And this is now on my phone. Do you have any other drafts you can take out of the oven now?

Josh, that is excellent! And if stops another 75 semi-clueless folks from setting up their own "I'm an expert on Disney" FB and web pages, I'm even more for it! (Can you tell I have a pet peeve this week?)

Also like Craigers idea about the colors on the pathways I think (need to pull it up again, but I think I agree).

Yes, or I just think the KS road shouldn't all be colored red, it actually seems to detract from identifying where the building for it is.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

The bourbon glass is missing. Other than that, it's perfect.
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Medals pending : 2021 Star Wars, 2023 Glass Slipper + Tink

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Josh... looks pretty good. My two cents, from an IT perspective... chances are most folks won't actually print these off. Right now you're at 5 pages which is at least three pieces of paper stapled together. Most likely they'll keep the PDF on their phone. So whatever you can do to keep the PDF phone-friendly would be great. Small text is going to require zooming in and back out. A large PDF (you're already over 1.5 meg I think) is going to make launch time and render speed slower. I wouldn't worry too much about adding links because if this ends up as a printed product, links are moot. If it's a PDF, it's probably phone/OS specific how links back-and-forth between a PDF and a mobile web browser work (i.e. clicking a link, going to the website, and then getting back to the PDF).

Sounds like you need the easyWDW phone app. I am not volunteering.
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

As a total n00b to WDW planning, I find this super helpful. Like, seriously helpful.

ETA: Agree w/craigers on the path/water ways being less saturated for max usability, but that's a minor suggestion for me. And I know I might be old school-er than most, but I would (will) definitely print them. Especially the map portion. I hate looking at maps on my phone and would prefer holding a paper copy... especially when I will have kids pulling me to hurry up. I don't want to drop my phone, turn it to avoid glare, zoom in 500 times, etc.

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    Love it! The only thing I'd change is what's already been mentioned, a little less color saturation on ride components and other "placemark" items on the map so that the walkways stand out more.

It's nicely concise, but still offers all the information someone needs to successfully tour even if they've never been before, and haven't read any other information about the place.

upstate, NY, wish I lived at Disney World!!
    I love it!

I was just about to make something similar for my upcoming trip next week. Trying to get all the information in my head from reading on here and remember it is hard to do when you aren't a Type A planner. I think this is awesome and hope it is ready for all parks by Tuesday next week :)

As usual, you rock.
    Ray

This is PERFECT especially for someone like me who has never been to the parks before...

Awesome!

And don't forget to own your work. Put the EasyWDW logo on each page.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy.

I think its great Josh! I disagree about posting it as a PDF. Not everyone will want to print the entire thing, but maybe just sections of it. If people can copy and paste into their own documents the pieces that are important to them, it'll be just as useful. For my trips, I'd probably just print the touring route as well as info about the wait times when I'm there.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    You can copy/paste from a .pdf (as long as text is saved as text), or just print the pages you want.

At first I thought it odd that you chose to capitalize the FP attractions on the map rather than just putting a FP next to them, but it makes sense as I read down the guide.I'd like to see a header for your expected wait times pages. It took me a second to recognize what I was looking at. :) Then the lightbulb flicketed in the dark...hahahaThese are minor issues though, Josh. It's really great. I'll certainly use it! For me, the colors seemed fine and the map was easy to read on my phone.

I can't imagine trying to navigate that map on a 4" phone screen. I guess I could have the map be separate, but I liked the idea of it being a package you could just download and print what you wanted.

The idea with the links on a post was that you could easily look at the PDF document or if you wanted more information, you could browse the site easier if there were links to other things of interest. Like if you had no idea what the Safari was or what was on the menu for Flame Tree, it would be easier to find that out if you could click a link. Sort of how like Mr. Noble was suggesting a starting off point and if you wanted to know more about something, you could click here and there to find out.

This is fabulous!!!!! The only suggestion I might have would be the color scheme. Perhaps keep all the attractions within the same color, just the priorities be different shades (just like how you did the dining options).

I like the thought of the clickable links. Even though most people will just save off the .pdf, the links would be great for some "advanced" planning.

The only other thing I would suggest would be to put the easywdw logo on each page. While it wouldn't take someone with a graphics art degree to remove it from copies, it would deter some other websites from stealing it.

Those, however, are just moot points. If you published it just like this, it would still be great!!!
    Who doesn't like a brat with dirty hair?

Absolutely. I already have your site bookmarked so that I can reference your reviews. Makes it much easier having the links right there.

Yes, a smaller screen might be difficult, but I see more and more people using Ipads these days.