Thread: "Finding Nemo" film sequel "Finding Dory" gets 2015 release

Banned

"Finding Nemo" film sequel "Finding Dory" gets 2015 release

(Reuters) - Following years of speculation about whether it would be produced, the sequel to the Oscar-winning animated film "Finding Nemo" will be released in 2015, studio Disney-Pixar said on Tuesday.
    "Finding Dory" will focus on the absent-minded and chatty blue tang fish voiced by comedienne Ellen DeGeneres, who was a big hit with audiences.
    "I'm excited that it's finally happening," DeGeneres said on her daytime talk show, "Ellen."
    "I read the script and it's fantastic, it's hilarious, it's warm, it's everything that you want it to be," she added.
    Andrew Stanton, who co-directed 2003's "Finding Nemo" with Lee Unkrich, said the film will centre on Dory reuniting with her "loved ones," much like the family-focused plot of "Nemo."
    "There is no Dory without Ellen," Stanton said in a statement. "She won the hearts of moviegoers all over the world - not to mention our team here at Pixar."
    Stanton said the movie will be set in part along the California coast and take place about a year after "Nemo." It will include characters such as clown fish Nemo, his father Marlin and the Tank Gang.
    The film is set for a November 25, 2015, release, the day before the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday that coincides with the start of the holiday film season.

I can speak whale...

I am so excited for this!

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    Totally looking forward to this. Now, let me go write it on the calendar so I don't forget..... Wait, do I know you?

I was so excited when I read this earlier... and then I saw the Nov 2015 date. It will still be great, just wish we didn't have to wait so long! I was all set to tell DD who loves Nemo (especially Peach the pink starfish!), but realized that the movie is nearly as long away as the number of years old she is so it might be a bit soon to get her excited!!

he's right
    I'm vaguely pessimistic. The last two Pixar movies were IMO the weakest---or perhaps two of the weakest three (Cars being the other). Is this just the same story with a different protagonist from the same world? If not, will it have the same emotional pull of Nemo?

I've been wrong before---I was convinced Wall-E would be awful---but...

Banned
    There's a countdown clock at the end.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=_JJmDavBXrw
    Less than 1.5 million minutes to go.

That's the day before my daughter's 8th birthday. She's 5 now, so I'm going to block this from my mind temporarily!

When I saw it on FB earlier today, I thought it was a leftover April Fool's joke. lol I liked Finding Nemo. I hope they do it justice.
    Lisa

4/2004- ASMovies
    5/2007- Pop
    9/2009- Pop
    3/2012 - Pop (Surprise Trip!)
    10/2013 - First stay off property at Windsor Hills
    6/2015 - Land/Sea on Disney Dream!

I read earlier where they were talking about Dory's back story. As in she has none. Why is she in the middle of the ocean when Marlin finds her? I think they aim to tell her story. I think it has great potential. Of course, I liked John Carter, so what do I know....

will return when the custom user titles improve bdlily's Avatar
    I'm thrilled! With Andrew Stanton at the helm I think it will have the same heart as the original. If they'd tried to do it without Ellen Degeneres then I think it would have flopped. You can't do Dory without her.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I've been wrong before---I was convinced Wall-E would be awful---but...
    IMO Wall-E WAS awful. Well, except for the first part of the movie which was utterly charming. Once they threw the humans into the story it ruined everything. And I think that was kind of the message- "humans ruin everything". Not my favorite takeaway for a family movie.
    Brooke
    WDW- CR '80, GF '89, GF '95, GF '01, GF '04, Poly '05, BWI '07, BC '07, AoA '13
    DL- DLH '88, Best Western '09, GCH '10, GCH '11

he's right
    Except of course that a human saved the day.

that's a shame
    I thought Nemo already had a sequel.

http://www.amazon.com/Jiro-Dreams-Su...reams+of+sushi
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Sequel. Meh. Why can't they concentrate their efforts on something original and leave well enough alone? Now we need to have a "Finding" franchise? I'm sure it'll be good enough quality, but Pixar has been dragging lately. What happened to the genre-changing original ideas like Up and Wall-E? And even Ratatouille, for that matter?
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

I went to the Lasseter Family Wine presentation at last year's Food/Wine Festival on the hunch that John would be in tow. Indeed he was. I don't think anybody was there for the wine. I'm pretty sure they're just putting Franzia in a bottle and charging $50/bottle for it. Anyway, he was talking about how Pixar will only make a movie if they can do it with great storytelling etc. and I'm certain he was staring right at me when I giggled and said "Like Cars 2?" to the woman I was sitting next to.

Pixar + Ellen is probably a gimme. It's amazing how much those movies cost to produce though. Brave was like 300 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I thought Nemo already had a sequel.

http://www.amazon.com/Jiro-Dreams-Su...reams+of+sushi
    Heh heh.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I went to the Lasseter Family Wine presentation at last year's Food/Wine Festival on the hunch that John would be in tow. Indeed he was. I don't think anybody was there for the wine. I'm pretty sure they're just putting Franzia in a bottle and charging $50/bottle for it. Anyway, he was talking about how Pixar will only make a movie if they can do it with great storytelling etc. and I'm certain he was staring right at me when I giggled and said "Like Cars 2?" to the woman I was sitting next to.

Pixar + Ellen is probably a gimme. It's amazing how much those movies cost to produce though. Brave was like 300 million.
    With another million they could likely hire someone with an original idea. With money to spare.

Stupid Judy.

George, you got me thinking. Since Disney bought Pixar, here are the movies (released and in production):

WALL-E, Up, Toy Story 3, Cars 2, Brave, Monsters University, The Good Dinosaur, Inside Out, Finding Dory. Four sequels/prequels after the Disney purchase and one before (Toy Story 2). No way to know about the quality of the unreleased movies, of course.

Not to mention rumors about The Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4.

I didn't count Ratatouille because, like Cars, it was created before Disney bought Pixar.

Not sure if any of that means anything, just got me thinking.

So I'll bet that Wall-E and Up were already in pre-production and had to be finished.

Stupid Judy.

will return when the custom user titles improve bdlily's Avatar
    Disney does love their sequels (POTC 6 1/2 anyone?)
    Brooke
    WDW- CR '80, GF '89, GF '95, GF '01, GF '04, Poly '05, BWI '07, BC '07, AoA '13
    DL- DLH '88, Best Western '09, GCH '10, GCH '11

Likely with how long it takes to make animated movies. I'm not sure how far along they were, but they existed before.