Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Minute trip with DD7 starts March 21st - just booked!

carries her own pineapple juice RebeccaMcK's Avatar

Last Minute trip with DD7 starts March 21st - just booked!

I wasn't going to head back to WDW for a while yet....I was waiting for the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster to open (early 2014? In which case I probably wouldn't get to go until fall break in October 2014, and I still plan to go). But with all Josh's blog posts I read pretty much daily, mostly about the Flower & Garden Festival underway, and DD7's spring break about to start....I just HAD to go for a short trip!

DD7 is Kimberly, and I just told her a little while ago that we're going in FOUR DAYS (I've never planned a big trip like this with this short a time before we fly) and she was ECSTATIC! Even though she knows her daddy isn't going with us (he has Jury Duty coming up next Monday, the day we fly home....plus he's not keen on going when it's crowded. Neither am I, really, but I can handle the crowds with good planning). I filmed her reaction but it's not anything I know how to post here, sorry.

Anyway, we fly on United very early Thursday morning (school is still in session Thursday and Friday so I'm either going to tell the teacher ahead of time she won't be there those days, or I'll phone or email both days to say she's "sick" - not sure yet. The guilt gets to me) - 6:10 am from Colorado Springs, connect in Houston and arrive in Orlando at 1:31 pm. It's too late to get special luggage tags from DME, but I phoned them and I can either retrieve our luggage myself or give a CM at the DME desk our claim tags and they'll go get our luggage to put on the bus. We have DME vouchers from Hotwire, which is the web company I booked our airfare and hotel package with just a little while ago. Park tickets now have to wait until we get them at the gate. I plan to get tickets for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday - with Hoppers, and we'll go to the recommended parks on those four days. Thursday once we know we're not too tired we can head over to Epcot for a bit (it'll be mostly counter service meals and snacks this trip....I might not even try for any ADRs; I only asked about Be Our Guest and it's full for dinner through September already). On Friday we'll do Magic Kingdom (it's the only day of our trip that it's in the green and not the red print on Josh's calendar printout...so it's the second most recommended park for that day). Saturday we'll go to perhaps Animal Kingdom in the morning (maybe I can get Kimberly to ride Everest....it's a big maybe because she has ridden once and vowed to not ride again for a very long time - the dark part and the going backwards scared her worse than the Yeti did) and then Epcot later on. And we'll save DHS for Sunday since it's most recommended that day. But all this could change....maybe we'll want to brave the crowds at MK more and do Epcot less, we'll see. I plan to have some of the yummy snacks at the food booths in World Showcase, but Kimberly won't like any of it (I can find her some mac'n'cheese somewhere).

Our very first trip to WDW was in May 2010, back when she was about to turn 5. It was also during the end of the Flower & Garden Festival but that time they didn't have food/drink kiosks/booths. We're not on any dining plan so I'll be paying OOP for everything. I do have some Disney Rewards points coming to me that I can put on my existing rewards card. $48 worth so far, and maybe more before we leave (once the $1928 gets charged from the hotel/airfare package I booked today). So that can pay for some of our food. The reason we're not staying longer than Monday the 25th is because a good friend and her daughter are flying up to see us in Colorado on the 26th and will be here a few days. I've known about her trip for a while so I can't just ditch her now, lol. Her daughter and mine are good friends and they miss each other. They lived here but moved back to California a while ago for my friend's health (the high altitude here didn't help her much).

On the May 2010 trip we stayed at Wilderness Lodge. My sister joined us from Texas, and we three had a great time. Hubby didn't go because he dreaded the crowds. Back then I had joined TGM and we planned so we wouldn't be stuck in many crowds (plus it was before Memorial Day and crowds weren't really too bad in the middle of May after all). In November 2010 I wound up going back to WDW by myself as a 40th birthday celebration (just me, though, but I ate whatever and wherever I wanted, lol). Stayed at All Star Movies, did lots of Single Rider stuff and stood in the far back row at Fantasmic last minute (and was one of the first out of the park when it ended). Great fun but a bit lonely. I almost did this upcoming trip as a solo trip again, but I'd feel guilty leaving Kimberly at home (she'd have school Thursday and Friday but she'd have to have a neighbor watch her on Monday while Hubby is off at Jury Duty or at work if he gets out of serving on a jury. He could get her to and from school Thursday and Friday but it would still be an ordeal).

In October 2011 we went to WDW again, this time as a family, plus my mom met us there from California. So it was a first time ever WDW trip for both her and Hubby. They enjoyed it, as did Kimberly and I. That time we stayed at the Poly and it was great.

This Thursday we'll check into All Star Movies (it's my budget location, and we'll be in parks most of the time so it almost doesn't matter where we stay). If we have time we might go look around the new Art of Animation and the Pop Century buildings....it's fun to see all the exterior decor.

Anyway, this trip report might not get too detailed. I might not take careful notes like I've done on previous trips (links are in my signature to whatever trip reports still exist from me), but we'll have fun and I'll at least note anything that's different from previous trips. I'll take pics, of course, but especially of things and characters we've not seen before.

Right now I'm going to check the weather and start packing!
    2010 WDW&US ASMo 1 Day Solo US&DHS Trip Report, 2011 Poly (incl. DLR/DCA July & Dec)
    Trip Report, 2012 DLR PPier Trip Report w/bonus features, 2013 ASMo Trip Report, 2014 Oct AKL-KV, BLT & Nov ASSp WDW&US Trip Report & more.

Congrats and have fun!

Thanks!

I will add some pics later, just to show recent photos of Kimberly and me. Almost done packing.
    2010 WDW&US ASMo 1 Day Solo US&DHS Trip Report, 2011 Poly (incl. DLR/DCA July & Dec)
    Trip Report, 2012 DLR PPier Trip Report w/bonus features, 2013 ASMo Trip Report, 2014 Oct AKL-KV, BLT & Nov ASSp WDW&US Trip Report & more.

Hey Rebecca, a sneaky cheeky trip you snagged there!
    Sounds like fun. Look forward to reading all about it
    Amanda x

Thanks, Amanda! Woke up at 4 am today, too excited/anxious to sleep, lol. Started packing more. It's the little things I have to remember....sanitizing wipes (since I use them at the hotel first thing), whether or not to bring the big mister fan or just the little handheld fans or do we even need them. I'm not buying another mister fan while there, that's for sure. I have a travel vest now with loads of pockets but I think I'm still better off with the backpack in the parks (and then my Disney shirts can be seen better).

Anyway, I don't really have a good recent photo of me but here's one of Kimberly from a month ago when she lost one of her front teeth:

Hope I remembered how to do that "copy image" thing properly to post here. Anyway, in that photo she's wearing her new Disneyland fleece pullover my parents got her for Christmas at Anaheim's Downtown Disney last October. They got it the day they drove out to meet us and then hid it away for Christmas. She gets to wear it at her new school since they don't use uniforms. The new school is working out well so far except we just found out that Landsharks practices (running team) starting in April will be in the early morning before school starts, two days a week (7:30 am). That'll be a struggle but she might make it to a couple of them at least. They're done at 8:15, in time for school starting at 8:30.

That's it for now. Just found out that my friend who's coming up to visit the day after we get back next week wants to stay in our guest room, so I'll get that ready (clean sheets, etc.) and minimize how much preparing I'll have to do next week - not sure how much time I'll have to clean this week but I'll get to it. She and her daughter will just be with us for two nights and they can share the room.

Oh, and here's a somewhat recent photo (December) of me with the hubby.

Well, I do prefer waiting just a week or less to go on a trip rather than several months (except for the not having time to get any ADRs, which this time around I don't care about), but I have been a little anxious and had a couple somewhat sleepless nights worrying about things. I have taken Kimberly to Disneyland by myself two or three times, but on day trips only to two parks. This will be the first time on a longer trip (with FOUR parks) with her with no other adult to help me co-parent. I've given her the safety lecture and told her to stay with me no matter what, told her it'll be crowded, and I made one of our "I'm Celebrating" buttons into an ID badge by putting a sticker on the back with her name, my phone number and the name of our resort. And told her about the button, lol, so she'll know the info is there if she happens to lose me and has to approach a cast member.

I've woken up in the middle of the night to check the weather for Orlando on my phone, check TSA's list of restricted items online (hey, you can carry on tweezers now, cool), wonder if I forgot anything in the suitcase, look up United Airlines' carry-on bag restrictions (size/weight - after changing to another suitcase this morning, I'm good now), etc. I didn't get to sleep until after 3 this morning. The night before that, I slept very well but it was to catch up on sleep I lost the night prior, lol. So tonight I should sleep well, except for when it's time to get up at 3:30 am (we want to leave here by 4 for the airport - Kimberly loves to "leave in the middle of the night when it's dark").

At least I got the Magical Express bus reserved, and I printed boarding passes for the flights today. I will wait until Friday to get my Disney Rewards transfered over to my rewards card from Chase - I called today about it and the rewards amount hadn't risen yet but the lady said it would after midnight tomorrow. I can use cash and my Disney Visa until I start using the rewards card.

Now Kimberly says, "I want to see the fireworks!" She never has before; the sound hurts her ears (I am packing earplugs just in case). This will be tough to do, since the MK fireworks aren't until 10 pm. Maybe they put them on a TV channel back in the hotel room? I think they used to? Maybe she'll forget about them. Or we could try to see them Sunday night since I'm not planning anything for Monday now except for maybe going over to the Polynesian to look in the downstairs shop and see if they still have the turtle necklace my mom got herself two Octobers ago (it was since stolen in a burglary at my parents' house). If I buy it for her, she'll reimburse me. She also plans to go back there herself (with Dad, who has never been) some time so if I don't go over there it'll be okay.

I haven't asked Kimberly about Fantasmic, since I don't have a FDP booked (they were available though, back when I checked) and I don't want to wait a long time to go sit down for the show. I've even been thinking about not going to DHS this time....not if Kimberly won't ride R'n'RC with me. I'll work on her. She's looking forward to Animal Kingdom (which we might plan around the non-rainy time, and the weather keeps changing - we already did all of AK once in the pouring rain and we don't need to do that again), Magic Kingdom and is curious about the "yummy food" I've been describing at Epcot's F&GF. I've promised her a shrimp from the tostada I plan to get (we'll head around clockwise so we'll wind up in the UK later. This way we can also do the two rides along the way and make Kimberly happy).

Anyway, now it's time to go get her from school. I wound up telling her teacher that I was going out of town Thursday and Friday and needed to take Kimberly with me because otherwise there's no one here to take care of her while I'm gone (and that's mostly true - Hubby has to work). She said that was fine and she's supposed to send home the missed assignments today so Kimberly can do them over spring break (or on the flights). No one has to know where we're going, lol.

Bye for now.

Safe travels!
    Link to June 2018 Trip Report:
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...d=1#post419048

1997 CBR, 2004 ASMo, 2005 CBR
    2007 Pop x 2, 2008 ASMu, 2009 Pop
    2010 ASMu, 2013 CBR, 2016 CSR
    2018 Windsor Palms

Thanks, "Mom"!
    Home from school now, and when I reminded her of what's at DHS Kimberly said she'd like to ride TSMM - so since we'll head to DHS for that we'll probably also try to hit Characterpalooza (whether it's back in the Animation bldg or outside amongst the street scenes like Josh showed recently - there are really just a handful of characters she hasn't met yet and I think some of them are out of circulation now) and maybe try our luck at a table at Sci-Fi Diner or at 50s Prime Time Cafe (I've been to Sci Fi on my own but haven't been to 50s PTC yet - Kimberly might get a kick out of that place). She thinks the BatBL show is "too scary" and she has seen it a couple times already so we won't need to go there. I know she won't ride ToT, and I don't need to ride it every trip anyway. Haven't done the Indy show or LMA yet but I've seen them on YouTube and they don't look like they'd hold her attention (or mine much for that matter). She has seen Fantasmic once but just said it's okay if we don't see it this time. Maybe I'll try for an ADR for Sci-Fi or PTC right now, on the off chance there's availability. I'm okay even just trying the ABC Commissary, because the burgers apparently have Thousand Island dressing on them and that says In'n'Out Burger to me (my fave burger place ever - former Californian here).

Not much left to do now except rest, make dinner (easy: turkey pot pies tonight), watch TV and pack up the toiletries in the morning. I even cleaned the house today and yesterday so I don't have much to do next week before my friend and her daughter arrive Tuesday.

Cant wait to read all about it, have a great time x

Thanks Amanda! Waiting for an omelet now at airport. We board in 40 minutes. Got up at 3:30 and left house just after 4. Rode shuttle from parking lot to entrance and forgot my phone in the car so we checked in first and went back. Walked to the car but got the same shuttle back to entrance. There had been no line at TSA earlier but now there was one. Kimberly told everyone who would listen she was going to Disney World and would come home Monday lol. Most offered to trade places with her. Bye for now. Time to eat.

Hope are there by now & having a wonderful time!
    Jennifer

WDW: 2/2000, 1/2008, 1/2013, 1/2018
    DLR: ~1984, 1990, 1991, 1994, 7/2013

Having a great time. Magic Kingdom today and Epcot yesterday. Lots happened and I will write about it after we get home since I just have the Droid phone here for internet. No laptop.

Have fun, looking foward to the report.
    Josh (No, not that one)

Hi all, we are home! Well, technically we got back late Monday night - and this is the longest I've waited upon returning from a Disney trip to start in with all the trip report text, I'm sorry. We did have company Tuesday through Thursday, and we did some local stuff with them but I also took the time to type up my trip report in a text file (finished last night) and organize all the pictures in a Shutterfly album. No more Photobucket for me since I'm good now at posting the image locations from Shutterfly. I have around 285 pictures that are trip-related, and most or all of them will make it into this report. I didn't start "recovering" from the trip, really, until after our friends left - and between resting, doing housework, running errands, and catching up on missed TV shows (which I'm still doing, on hulu and the network websites), I kind of crashed on Thursday after the friends left for Denver's airport to head back to Sacramento. Kimberly, however, has been playing nonstop and at the moment has all her little Disney character figures (plastic) out and is using her toy microphone to make park announcements and help her little Lego Friends find the various character meet'n'greets, lol. It's an idea I gave her, and now I regret the microphone recommendation because I can hear it over my headphones while listening to my shows on hulu plus. Oh well.

So let's start with Day One's text and photos. If you've read my reports before (here and on TGM, which I quit a long time ago) you know I'm precise about recording times - I keep a little notebook with me in the parks and I pretty much jot down everything we do except restroom breaks. It's just how I'm used to doing things. Might seem boring sometimes, but the times help me see how little or how long we waited for something - helps me feel like we accomplished something even on the busiest of days.

----------------
    Day 1 - Thursday, March 21st

Woke up at 3:30 am. After I was ready, I got Kimberly up and at 4:10 we headed to the airport and parked my car in long-term parking. After riding the shuttle with one other passenger to the ticketing area, I realized I forgot my phone in the car. So after we checked in, we walked back to my car (the shuttle wasn't around) and got it from the cupholder in the front seat. Then the same shuttle picked us up and we rode back. Earlier there had been no one in line at TSA but now there was a long-ish line. Kimberly told everyone who would listen that she was going to Disney World. Many offered to change places with her, lol.

At 5:05 am we split an omelet with fried potatoes at the bar/cafe in the terminal. I took a picture of Kimberly's Brave suitcase/carry-on (we did all carry-on luggage on the way to Orlando):

...and wrote in the little journal a bit. Kimberly wanted to write, too, so she put her TSA Junior Officer sticker in the book and wrote on the opposite page. This is the only picture I took of any notes she wrote in the little notebook:

Both of our flights (connection at Bush in Houston) were on time and we had an easy transition. I paid for two video screens on the second flight, since they had Direct TV available. It's really funny to listen to Loony Toons on your screen while watching "Wreck-It Ralph" on another screen (Kimberly's). The words almost matched up to the mouths' movement. We had two of the onboard snack boxes - three of the little packets weren't anything we wanted so I left them in the seat-back pocket in case the next passenger wanted them (sealed). Or they'd get thrown out, whichever. Our second flight landed early. We got down to the Magical Express bus area at 1:45 pm and traded in our hotwire vouchers for DME travel vouchers. We sat in the back (Kimberly's favorite spot on a bus) and stopped at Coronado Springs Resort at 2:30...then at All Star Sports. By then we were the last passengers on the bus so the driver skipped All Star Music and let us off at All Star Movies, at 2:45.

I liked how this luggage cart looked...saw it at all the All Star resorts but they're probably at others, too:

At the check-in desk one of the CMs gave Kimberly a balloon flower:

Then after I got all our guest paperwork and room cards (RFID entry, took me a minute to figure it out later at the door - but it's super easy), we got in the concierge line and bought our park tickets with Park Hoppers. We were staying in the Mighty Ducks section on the ground level, facing the hockey-themed pool. I checked the bed for bed bugs (none found) and unloaded my backpack with what I wouldn't need to take to Epcot. We got to the bus stop at 3:40 and the Epcot bus came at 3:55. More in a bit...just want to make sure this posts.

Looking forward to reading about the rest!
    June 2011 Poly, May 2013 POR, June 2015 CBR, June 2017 POR, March 2018 CSR, June 2018 POR

Before I cover our afternoon/night at Epcot, here are some hotel photos.
    Heading towards our room in the Mighty Ducks [hockey] section (just past the 101 Dalmatians area, of which there will be photos later in this report):

This hockey mask hides the elevators and stairs - Kimberly wanted to walk through it every day even though we'd just turn right to walk ground level to our room:

The Mighty Ducks section has its own pool with a Goofy goalie - the restrooms and laundry area is visible just past him:

Our room with the one king bed:

Our "welcome" Mickey Head towel art:

I liked the little Mickey ears atop the shampoo bottle:

This little washcloth bubby was in our room window, along with everyone else's window - and for the rest of the trip Kimberly identified our window by the type of eye stickers on this bunny:

Okay, in a hurry but not too rushed on the way to the bus stops we took some pics of the 101 Dalmatians area we walked through:

This pic was taken two days later but I may as well keep it here with the other dalmatian pics:

Once we were in Epcot, we saw that Test Track had a 70 minute wait and no Fastpasses left, so we decided to make our way over to the World Showcase. We hit the Cars topiaries and playground area on the way. I let Kimberly play for about ten minutes at the playground. But first I took pics of the Cars topiaries:

I think this was somewhere near Test Track but I don't remember now....it's somewhere on the way to World Showcase anyway....Lion King topiaries:

Saw the Monsters University (new movie coming in June, prequel to "Monsters Inc") topiaries:

This one was taken later when it was darker but I'll keep it here with the other Monsters topiaries pic:

Moving on to the wonderful food from the F&GF booths, in the next post.
    Last edited by RebeccaMcK; 03-30-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: tried to make the pool pic bigger

Thanks for reading along Christine, and everyone else! I just edited the last post because the Goofy Goalie pic was too small, and I added a few words of text about the laundry room behind him.

--------------
    Continuing with Epcot Thursday.........

We turned to the left towards Mexico, and I bought a watermelon salad, Orange Blossom Pilsner (beer) and a fruit punch pouch for Kimberly. I thought the beer would taste better, more orangey, but it just tasted like regular beer to me. It was really small (6 oz. for $3) but that was okay. The watermelon salad was delicious - it had baby arugula, feta cheese, watermelon pieces, pickled red onions and a balsamic reduction. (I have all this info not just from memory of Josh's blog entries but because I printed out the menu/guide from the allears site ahead of time.)

The salad was $3.50 and the punch was $2.75. Kimberly chased birds while I ate my salad (she's like a dog that way). Then we headed to Mexico. There, I got the Tostada de Jaiba (crab tostada with chipotle mayo and salsa - $5.50) and Kimberly had a plain carnitas (pork) soft taco, open-faced. It's not on the menu I have at home so I don't have the price info, but she liked it - she doesn't like dressings or salsa so ordering it plain was the best way to ensure she'd eat it. She said it was good. We ate from our little plates over in the quick service seating area by the lagoon. Whoa, now the little beer just hit me.

We went into the Mexico pavilion and the Gran Fiesta Tour ride was almost a walk-on. Rode it at 4:54. Fun with the Three Cabelleros.

We made our way into Norway and pulled FPs for the Maelstrom ride at 5:15 for a 5:50 return. Made our way through China (went inside to see the warrior statues this time, since I've never seen them).

Kimberly played bongo drums at the Outpost area. We thought a drum band was performing up there when we approached, but it was all kids playing with the drums, lol:

Watched the little trains in Germany, where they had little fake topiaries set up in the tiny village.

Walked past America and Italy....

...but in Japan we stopped so I could try the Chirashi Hanazushi (grilled salmon, cooked shrimp, and crab over ginger rice with Volcana and Dynamite sauce - $6). I avoided the green beans in it (wasbabe?), thinking they'd be spicy. It was hot enough just with the sauces. I bought a new bottle of water, too, for $2.50.

Kimberly looked at ducks near the Bonzai trees while a family near me talked about whether the dish would be too spicy or not - I drank a LOT of water and told them it was pretty spicy. I was going to get the Frushi for Kimberly but she didn't want any (strawberries, pineapple and cantaloupe rolled with coconut rice atop a raspberry sauce and sprinkled with toasted coconut and whipped cream - most of that she won't eat anyway). But she had the shrimp from my dish, whatever didn't have sauce on it.

I didn't take many pics of World Showcase itself since I have many photos already from previous trips, but here's one of the views across the lake I did take:

In Morocco I got the Harissa and Lemon Confit chicken drumettes with chermoula and cucumber salad for $5.

I wanted to try the spiced lamb kebob but I went for the chicken because I thought I'd like the side item more than the couscous salad that came with the lamb. And I thought the cucumber salad was good. I probably would have liked the lamb's side too, but now we were getting a little full anyway and couldn't try everything. Kimberly had a bit of the chicken and liked it. I also had the white sangria (in the same picture above) for $5, and it was very good.

Just past France, near the International Gateway path, we saw Mary Poppins walking around with her parasol (white outfit). Kimberly went up to her and they both strolled together down the path closer to the turnstiles. I followed them and took pictures. First, the France topiaries we admired, of the Beauty & the Beast characters (there are more not pictured here because we took photos on another day and you'll see those later), Sleeping Beauty characters and Cinderella characters:

France from a distance:

And now, Mary Poppins sort of kidnapping my only child:

I'm glad we found Mary on her own like that....two Octobers ago Kimberly had no interest in meeting her and we left her meet's queue before our turn came up. More in the next post...

Glad to see you're back! Great start to your trip, love the pics of ASMo. We stayed there the first time we took our boys and they loved it

Steph
    Link to June 2018 Trip Report:
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...d=1#post419048

1997 CBR, 2004 ASMo, 2005 CBR
    2007 Pop x 2, 2008 ASMu, 2009 Pop
    2010 ASMu, 2013 CBR, 2016 CSR
    2018 Windsor Palms

Continuing with Epcot Thursday.......

Then we left Mary Poppins and went to the UK to find the Peter Pan topiaries. For the one of Peter on the roof, someone had used sidewalk chalk on the pavement to tell people to look up. And just from some of us calling out, "There's Peter Pan!" others near us looked up to check him out:

I had the potato, chive and cheddar biscuit with smoked salmon tartare and sour cream (yummy - $4.75) and shared two trifles with Kimberly.

I didn't want the trio of trifles that was available (the green tea one didn't appeal to me), but I got the chocolate and the berry. Kimberly just had the chocolate along with another fruit punch pouch. Both trifles were very good (I had just a bit of the chocolate one when Kimberly couldn't finish it all). The trifles were $1.50 each. Realizing my pic of the sandwich wouldn't show much, I opened it to show more of what was inside in another pic:

We hurried past the remainder of World Showcase (didn't stop to take pics of Canada's lovely garden, for once) - I did take one more "lake view" shot:

We made it over to Maelstrom in Norway at 6:58 pm (grace period now to use the FPs, honored) and were let on past LOTS of people. Kimberly didn't like the ride. I think she went on it two Octobers ago but maybe not - it's possible I just did this with Mom that trip and then alone on my solo trip before that. She doesn't like going backwards or down when you can't see where you're going (it's part of what keeps her from wanting to ride Pirates of the Carribean most of the time). At 7:05 we were off (didn't stay for the Norway film) and let ourselves out (unhooked the chain/rope) near the FP distribution area so we wouldn't get lost in the shops towards the real exit. I took an "artsy" photo of the little church/museum in Norway:

I got a watermelon passion fruit cocktail (slushy) at Fruits By The Glass, for $7.50. Pricey, but it was a drink I was looking forward to (one of the first items on the F&GF menu that appealed to me when I saw they would have food/drink booths). It was small and had a spear of frozen watermelon chunks in it.

There, it's not a real trip report until you've photographed food or a drink atop a trash can.

We got in the standby line for Test Track at 7:35, and I drank it there. At 7:48 we were by the Studio B doors (for where you go in and "design" your own car). I took a pic in the new standby queue:

We designed two cars but had no luck completing the later steps. Others there seemed to have different screens that ours never progressed to, and Kimberly got upset that we couldn't "do this right." Really, it's just something to keep us busy in line. Nothing spectacular about this new addition to the attraction, but we love the ride itself. Here are the two pics of our design screens:

At 7:59 we rode in the back seat, and at 8:10 we were done. Here is the ride pic (I always take pics of our ride pics on the wall):

In that pic I was taking a picture of Kimberly that didn't even turn out well (none of my pics turned out on the ride itself) - we're in the back row. I took a pic of Kimberly near the Fab Five topiaries by Spaceship Earth on the way out of Epcot:

By 8:30 we were on the monorail to the Ticket & Transportation Center, and at 8:40 we waited there for the monorail to the Contemporary Resort. At 9, we had a late snack (more of a dinner for Kimberly) at the Contempo Cafe. I didn't write down what she had but I know I got the house chips/crisps, which were pretty good. We took our sodas out to the balcony past the Fantasia shop and waited for the 10 pm fireworks across the way at Magic Kingdom (it's what Kimberly wanted to do, and she was still wide awake for it - I know it's not good to stay up for something like this on an arrival day but it turned out to be our only chance so I'm glad we did it). It was COLD out there. We had our light jackets on, but maybe I should have kept the sweatshirt on that I took off at Orlando's airport earlier (didn't have it in my backpack). Next up, some fireworks pics to end our first day in Orlando (well, Lake Buena Vista).

Thanks, Steph! I stayed at ASMo before, too, back on my November 2010 solo trip - enjoyed it even as a grown-up. Can't beat the price on Disney property. We never did get to go over and look at the Art of Animation resort but it's on my list for next time (just to look around and take pictures even if we don't stay there). More to come in a bit - I'm taking a lunch break and checking on the kiddo. Trying to watch last night's episodes of "Happy Endings" online too, lol.

Okay, back to Thursday night. Before moving on to the fireworks, I should say that I wasn't dissing the Test Track redux before....we still love the ride (it's one of Kimberly's favorites), and Chevy and the Imagineers did a nice job with how it looks (the queue, the ride graphics, etc.) - I just think the design stuff (interactive stuff) isn't necessary. Just a time filler. If we had had time to ride it again later, we would have. Once isn't enough.

So, back to the Contemporary fourth floor balcony for Wishes. We sat in the big balcony's second row of seats behind an older couple who had arrived earlier. Once the fireworks started, Kimberly and some other little kids got near the rail and whooped and jumped around every time the fireworks went off. I tried to keep Kimberly from getting too close to the couple in front - didn't want to ruin their experience at all. They seemed okay about the kids' excitement. These aren't my best ever fireworks photos (those were at Disneyland a couple trips ago), but I like them because they show Kimberly (in the pink polka dot hood) enjoying the show:

Afterwards, we looked around the Fantasia shop and Kimberly tried on a Mickey Sorceror hat.

We took the monorail back to the TTC and then goofed, thinking we could get a bus from there to our hotel. Nope, had to go to a theme park to get a bus for that. I should have remembered. So, we took a monorail over to Magic Kingdom and got a bus there back to All Star Movies. It was a LONG wait for the bus. At 11:10 we got on the third bus that came, and went straight to bed after brushing our teeth. I brought books and Kimberly's homework, but I can say that no books were ever opened on the trip at all (except for Color Wonder books on the airplane and once or twice in the hotel room) and we didn't tackle any homework until we were back at Orlando Airport on Monday. There just wasn't time when we were out of the room most of the time.
    Day 2: Friday, March 22nd

I got up some time between 7 and 7:20 am (hit the snooze button on my phone's alarm, plus the strange phone call from Stitch came - the only day we used the hotel's wake-up call). I called Disney Rewards to have my existing points/rewards transferred to my card - so now I had almost $70 on it. At 7:50 I got Kimberly up and ready for the day. She said, "Last night I was one tired muffin." I wrote it down because it struck me funny. She decided she wasn't hungry for breakfast yet so we could just get on the bus to Magic Kingdom and eat granola bars when we were ready to eat (I'd packed plenty of the Nature Valley oats'n'honey bars). At 8:30 we were at the bus stop and just waited 8 minutes for a bus. While there we met a pair of grandparents with their 4 year old granddaughter. They live in Florida but the grandchild was visiting them.

On the bus, a group of teen girls from Mexico (I saw one girl's luggage tag on her backpack) were speaking Spanish only until they started singing along to Queen's "We Are the Champions" playing on the bus's looped sound system. Kimberly got a kick out of that and sang along. Later they sang along to "Walkin' on Sunshine." We saw several tour groups on the trip, mostly young people on spring break. Teens and "kids" in their 20s.

At 9:05 we entered the Magic Kingdom, took a castle pic with Kimberly in front:

...grabbed FPs at Peter Pan's Flight (return time of 9:55 am, came with surprise FPs for Mickey's Philharmagic show - we never did go see that show because while Kimberly has seen it before she hates 3D and wouldn't do it this time) and headed over to the 45-minute queue for Enchanted Tales in the new Beauty & the Beast area.

Beast's Castle up in the distance:

In the queue, we met a family from New Jersey and talked about the attraction. It seemed many in line didn't know what to expect, so some were looking it up on their smart phones and iPads. The NJ dad said, from his findings, it was "interaction with Belle in the Beast's castle" - and we all said that whatever it was, it was worth doing once since it was new and all. I knew to be there early because lines would get longer later, and I didn't check the line later but I'm glad we did it when we did. There was a CM there who kept peeking out of a door while we were in the outside part of the queue, holding up a little notepad with a hand-drawn Mickey head on it, claiming he had a Hidden Mickey. The kids kept watching for him to pop out of the door. Once inside, we were in Maurice's living room/dining area - with decor all around...books, a painting of Belle with her late mom, a growth chart on the wall (Kimberly stood next to it and it looked like she was Belle's height when Belle was 9...short Belle). I took some pics:

The book the girls were trying to read in the above picture was in French, so I helped them a little with the first couple sentences. The painting on the wall is of Belle with her mom. At 9:52 we were let into Maurice's workshop, and all the kids were stood along the front so they could see the Magic Mirror become a door (we all had to say, "Show me the moment when Belle and the Beast fell in love.") and let us through to the next room. Here are some pics of the gadgets on the ceiling of Maurice's Workshop:

And the magic mirror before it stretched into a doorway:

More, with the Enchanted Wardrobe and what followed, in the next post.

Continuing Friday at Magic Kingdom, in the Enchanted Tales with Belle area....

In the next room, the Enchanted Wardrobe spoke to us and the CM opened her drawers to get out the props for everyone who wanted to be in the show.

Nearly all the kids got parts, and those who didn't were the ones who didn't want parts. Two men got to be the knights in armor. Kimberly got to be the Beast! She was lent a red cape and practiced her roar.

Then we all headed into the Beast's Library, where Lumiere greeted us. Here are a couple shots of the library decor (you'll see Lumiere in other photos coming up):

The show was fun. Belle comes in, we all "surprise" her and she talks to Lumiere (above the fireplace) and she, the CM and the kids re-enact the story of how Belle found the Beast and fell in love.

Kimberly had to roar at her and startle her, before they danced together. It's too bad I didn't video all of this, but I took pictures:

Some of these (above and below) are cell phone pics of my Photopass computer screen taken after we got home - you can tell if you see faint lines through some of the pics. I'm happy enough with them, though. And others are pics I took myself with the Olympus digital camera.

All the kids got special bookmarks (the print says "You'll always be a part of my favorite story") and had pictures taken with Belle. The Photopass guy gave everyone cards (so we all have pics of each other's kids) at the end. I think Belle gave more bookmarks out to the non-performers before we all left the Beast's Library.

The bookmark's text says, "You'll always be a part of my favorite story" with Belle's signature. More of Magic Kingdom Friday in the next post.

Friday continued....

We walked back over to Peter Pan's Flight at this point (10:20) and got on the ride with our FPs in under 2 minutes. Done at 10:26. It's still my favorite Fantasyland ride and the only one I try to do at both Magic Kingdom and Disneyland.

Then we pulled FPs for the mermaid ride with a return time of 11:05 am. The FP machines are near Mickey's Philharmagic, and there are signs up to say so. We went over to Ariel's meet and the sign said the wait was 10 minutes. The 1 looked kind of fancy, so I was hoping it wasn't really a 7. We looked at the line and thought it looked longer than 10 minutes. It was really 31 minutes, but that's okay because now Kimberly has finally met Ariel (her favorite princess) in her mermaid form.

In this next pic, Kimberly was showing Ariel that she's on her princess t-shirt - and Ariel asked her, "Who is your favorite princess?" Of course, Kimberly answered, "Ariel! YOU!" I mean, what other answer is there when Ariel is asking the question?! (But her answer is always Ariel anyway.)

We went into a shop near Gaston's Tavern and bought a little yellow ceramic Belle frame (Kimberly has a blue Little Mermaid one my mom got her two Octobers ago) so we'll pick one of the better Belle photos to put in it later.

It cost $20.19 and I used my rewards card. Gaston was doing his meet'n'greet a little ways from his fountain, but Kimberly is afraid of him and didn't want to meet him. She posed by the fountain for a photo instead:

We went to the mermaid ride at 11:10 to ride with our FPs and only waited 5 minutes. It broke down for about 20 seconds before the "Under the Sea" scene.

At 11:22 we were off the ride and were hungry. But first: It's A Small World.

It had a 15-minute posted wait, and it took us 14 minutes to board. Done at 11:55. Kimberly didn't want to ride Haunted Mansion (so far she has only done the Nightmare Before Christmas version at Disneyland), so we went to see the new Rapunzel-themed (Tangled) restrooms en route to Columbia Harbor House for lunch. I'll post those pictures in the next post....and guess what? I took pics of the INSIDE of the restroom too, lol. Just of the walls and ceiling, not of any stalls. I suspected it would be very decorative in there, and I was right. Coming up.

Friday continued....

Rapunzel/Tanged restrooms:

It was as if Rapunzel painted them on the inside herself - all purple and yellow.

At CHH I had the lobster roll, chips and a Coke while Kimberly had mac'n'cheese, grapes, strawberry yogurt and an apple juice = $19.78 (rewards card). Yummy food. We sat upstairs but at a small table not near a window. I thought I had a picture of our food but I can't find it right now. Maybe it didn't upload to the album. Oh well. Here's a pic of the Tangled tower from near CHH, across from Haunted Mansion's area:

Once we were finished we headed off to Storybook Circus. There are embedded peanut shells in the pavement. We pulled FPs for Dumbo at 1:02 pm with a return time of 1:40. Kimberly enjoyed the Casey Jr Soak area for a little while before we got on the train in Fantasyland to head over to Frontierland.

With Lambert the Sheepish Lion (we have that cartoon on a couple different DVDs) on a Storybook Circus banner:

At 1:08 we got on the train and got off at 1:19, and we pulled FPs for Big Thunder with a return time of 4:10 pm (Dumbo FPs are disconnected from the system so you can get another FP after having just gotten Dumbo or are about to get Dumbo). Today's high temp was 77, and it was currently 70 - nice and breezy. It was only hot in short spurts whenever the sun appeared. We walked through Frontierland and looked in a shop that had a little plush fox that Kimberly now wanted - I told her maybe we'd get it later. We cut over to Adventureland and passed Pirates (25 minutes posted wait time). At 1:29 we got in line for Aladdin's Flying Carpets and were done at 1:46 (the posted wait time of 15 minutes was right).

Time for a float at Sunshine Terrace near the Tiki Room. They don't serve pineapple floats or ice cream there any more, so I got a root beer float and Kimberly had a cup of chocolate soft serve ($8.50 on rewards card). We walked through Adventureland and across the back of the castle over to Dumbo and rode with our FPs at 2:30 with a 9-minute wait. No access to the new playroom with the FPs in hand. From atop Dumbo, something we haven't ridden since Kimberly was 4 on her first Disneyland trip (thank you, Fastpass):

More in a bit.
    Last edited by RebeccaMcK; 03-30-2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: made one Rapunzel rr photo bigger