Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "How to get to Point A from Point B" Thread!

proud to keep the transportation forum the most civilized jilly7896's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
    I think just going to MK then monorail to GF for the 2nd one is a workable approach for a 9:35. There really should be no problem with that - it's not that early. And I would save my taxi money for the trip to Cape May, just because that's easier.
    I have to agree. CMC is such a hassle to get to without a car. Definitely cab it.

Travel Consultant with Mayfair Travel
    Email: jill@mayfairtravel.com
    Like me on Facebook!

Sept 2010- CBR - Trip Report
    Sept 2011- POP - Trip Report

1991-offsite * 2003-GKTW * 2007-ASMU * 2009-FW * 2010-CBR * 2011-POP * 2012-OKW, CR & offsite * 2013-Poly, BWI & DCL Fantasy
    2014- WL, DCL Magic, BWI, PBH & CSR * 2015- AKV, DCL Dream, DLH, GCH, RPR & DCL Fantasy * 2016- BWI, GCH, DLH, DCL Magic (Roy Disney Suite!)

guess we'll go to disney world today nicole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
    I think just going to MK then monorail to GF for the 2nd one is a workable approach for a 9:35. There really should be no problem with that - it's not that early. And I would save my taxi money for the trip to Cape May, just because that's easier.
    Wow! thanks, I would think with the CMC being a hour later we could get away with Disney transpo but if it's that much of a hassle we'll cab it. What time should I catch the bus to MK if I'm using mono to GF? What's the cost of a cab between resorts?

I think you could get on the bus by 8:30 and be fine, but I'm conservative and would probably leave earlier. I just work backwards - arrive 9:25 like they tell you, 15 minutes to monorail to GF, so that's 9:10, 15 minutes to ride bus to MK so that's 8:55, 20 minutes leeway for any missed bus, so that's 8:35. And just because I like a lot of fudge factor, I'd probably be at the bus stop at 8:15.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

Only itinerary to ever confuse josh into submission
    We're staying at the Poly. A few quick questions:
    1. How often does the monorail run past the hotel?
    2. How long will it take to get to the MK from the Poly (just monorail time, not time walking through Poly to get to the monorail)?
    3. How long will it take to get from MK back to the Poly? (I figure this could be different from #2.)
    4. We're going in late May. Is it possible the Monorail could ever be full and we'd have to wait for another?

Thanks!

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kayjaybe View Post
    We're staying at the Poly. A few quick questions:
    1. How often does the monorail run past the hotel?
    2. How long will it take to get to the MK from the Poly (just monorail time, not time walking through Poly to get to the monorail)?
    3. How long will it take to get from MK back to the Poly? (I figure this could be different from #2.)
    4. We're going in late May. Is it possible the Monorail could ever be full and we'd have to wait for another?

Thanks!
    We just stayed at the Poly and while I don't have exact #s to give you, one thing to keep in mind is that you can walk from the Poly to the TTC. We were on the far side of Poly (furthest from TTC) and the walk was only about 10 minutes. If you're in a Poly building close to TTC, you're in business. The advantage is that you can get on the Express monorail. That eliminates the stop at the GF on the Poly-to-MK resort monorail route and stops at the CR and TTC on the MK-to-Poly resort monorail route. Plus, you can get to EPCOT without having to take the resort monorail all the way around to the TTC and switch monorails.

My best guess to your questions... #1 - depends on how many monorails are on the resort line that day and what "traffic" is like. We were delayed at least 5 to 10 minutes leaving Poly to MK due to issues with the train ahead of us at GF. #2 - without any issues, this should be less than 10 minutes, barring huge passenger exchanges at GF. #3 - this is probably more like 15 minutes considering the stops at CP and TTC. #4 - highly doubtful, unless you can't stand during the ride. Even with the crowds last week and a double-stroller, we never encountered a "too full" train.
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

Only itinerary to ever confuse josh into submission
    Thanks, stevenmilz! Is that 10 min from Poly to MK using the TTC route or leaving directly from the Poly?

We can all stand & no strollers, so we should be golden. I had heard about going to the TTC to get to EP, but didn't know about the advantage when going to the MK, so that is good to keep in mind.

It's probably 10 minutes either way, but TTC-to-MK, while a longer distance, doesn't stop anywhere so that eliminates a choke point. Poly-to-MK stops at GF which adds time one way or another.
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

Question more Poly questions

More thanks to stevenmilz for those Poly answers---we're taking our first trip to WDW in early June and I'm at the stage where I'm trying to figure out the optimal modes of transportation for each leg. Any thoughts on Poly-to-AK or Poly-to-HS? We'll have our own car, and we'll be returning to the Poly for a break in the early afternoon each day. I'd read elsewhere that the AK tends not to open their parking lots until shortly before the park opens, making it a better bet to take a bus there if we wanted to make rope drop. Thoughts? And thanks again for all the great info!

If we have our own car with us, we tend to drive to the parks. We've never had an issue making AK RD when driving.

Like me on Facebook!

1991-offsite * 2003-GKTW * 2007-ASMU * 2009-FW * 2010-CBR * 2011-POP * 2012-OKW, CR & offsite * 2013-Poly, BWI & DCL Fantasy
    2014- WL, DCL Magic, BWI, PBH & CSR * 2015- AKV, DCL Dream, DLH, GCH, RPR & DCL Fantasy * 2016- BWI, GCH, DLH, DCL Magic (Roy Disney Suite!)

Quote Originally Posted by jilly7896 View Post
    If we have our own car with us, we tend to drive to the parks. We've never had an issue making AK RD when driving.
    Is it better to take a car to MK and Epcot from the Poly/TTC? A friend told me not to bother with the car Poly-to-MK, something about it taking longer to drive over, park, and walk up to the entrance from the parking lot than it does to take the monorail TTC-to-MK (<ten minutes). No?

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Definitely take the monorail, or even the boat, Poly to MK. To drive, you'd be driving to TTC just to take the monorail (you could hop on the express from TTC, but I still don't think that would save you). For Epcot, you could walk over to TTC (depending on which building you're in) and monorail over to EPCOT. It's a nice ride. Driving to EPCOT would work as well.
    Janine

Quote Originally Posted by amy View Post
    Is it better to take a car to MK and Epcot from the Poly/TTC? A friend told me not to bother with the car Poly-to-MK, something about it taking longer to drive over, park, and walk up to the entrance from the parking lot than it does to take the monorail TTC-to-MK (<ten minutes). No?
    Your friend is right. Even with a car, we take Disney transportation. It is much easier to take the bus/monorail to MK then to drive. Staying at Poly, I would take the monorail to MK and EP. I would probably drive to HS and AK though. Sorry for not specifying that!

Like me on Facebook!

From any MK resort (Polynesian, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Bay Lake Towers, Wilderness Lodge), the Disney transportation to MK will be quite a bit faster and simpler than driving. Even for non-MK Disney resorts, Disney transportation may still be faster because it takes you DIRECTLY to MK. When you drive, the parking lot is at the Ticketing and Transportation Center, so you take a tram from the parking lot to the TTC, then the Monorail or Boat from the TTC to MK.

Not sure about everyone else, but when staying at a MK resort, the monorail is part of the overall WDW experience. I think DS4, and now even DD2, would be just as happy riding around on the monorail for hours as they are in the parks.
    Steve

guess we'll go to disney world today nicole's Avatar
    I have an ADR at Sanaa at 12:50, we will be in AK that morning, how long should I expect the bus to take?
    Nicole
    with family DH, DDs (13, 9, & 7)

completed our 1st trip May 2011 at POR

It's literally next door, so the bus ride shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes (I think it stops at Jambo first). The big unknown is how long you'll have to wait before the bus gets there, which would likely be 10-20 minutes, but could be longer. I would probably plan on leaving the park around 12:15 to 12:30. You might get there a little early or you might get there a little late. Neither is really a problem (I can't imagine them being busy for lunch). Great views from the observation area if you have to wait.

How do you get from Epcot after IllumiNations to MK for EMH. Is there a bus or what.
    Thanks

How did you get to Epcot? If you drove your car, you'd need to drive your car from Epcot to the TTC where you would take either the monorail or ferry over to the MK and back. If you got to Epcot using Disney transpo, then take the Epcot monorail to the TTC and switch to the MK monorail line!
    BIGDADDYBYRD
    DVC Member OKW since 2011

BoardWalk Inn travel questions:
    Thanks for answering my question about how best to get to Ohana. My next question is Downtown Disney? Do the resorts run buses frequently to/from DD? If so, at what time do they stop running them back to the resorts at night? We are going in a couple of weeks if that makes a difference. Also,if you wouldn't mind looking over my other travel plans and letting me know if this is best. Thanks. We won't have a car.
    To MK - resort bus
    To Epcot - walk
    To DHS - take boat (do the boats get you to DHS in time for Rope Drop? We would like to arrive at DHS @8:30-8:40). We might walk, but I think it might be a bit much for my Mom to walk/tour all morning. We will boat back for sure.
    To DD - take bus?
    To/From Ohanas/CA Grill dinners: Take a cab and/ or bus to MK and boat or to Ohanas. Bus to MK then walk/MR to CA Grill from MK.
    Thanks again - we leave in 2 weeks!!!!

How about Animal Kingdom Lodge (after dinner and presumably AK is closed) back to Poly?
    I am thinking of waiting at bus stop, take whatever one comes first: MK or EPCOT, then monorail the rest of the way.
    Or should I wait specifically for one or the other? Or a totally different way?

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckster View Post
    How about Animal Kingdom Lodge (after dinner and presumably AK is closed) back to Poly?
    I am thinking of waiting at bus stop, take whatever one comes first: MK or EPCOT, then monorail the rest of the way.
    Or should I wait specifically for one or the other? Or a totally different way?
    Assuming you want to get back to Poly as quickly as possible, I'd opt for the MK -> boat to Poly option. The Monorail from MK is OK too, but there are two stops between MK and Poly, and that may take longer than the boat.

If you take the bus to Epcot, you'll have to climb that endless Epcot monorail ramp, then walk from TTC back to Poly; it's not that far of a walk, but it'll be late and depending on where your room is may be longer than you want to walk at the end of a long day.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

How about AKL to CR for Chef Mickey's? I was thinking bus to MK, monorail to CR. Would that be the same for GF for 1900 Park Fare?
    Thanks!

CR is the first monorail stop from MK, so monorail would be quick (there's also a walkway). For GF, it's the last monorail stop from MK, so the boat from MK will probably be quicker.
    Janine

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    CR is the first monorail stop from MK, so monorail would be quick (there's also a walkway). For GF, it's the last monorail stop from MK, so the boat from MK will probably be quicker.
    If Chef mickey's is for dinner and 1900 Park Fare for breakfast, is giving ourselves about an hour travel time good or more? Thanks again. You're answering so many of my questions... I think you're gonna be my new best friend in easywdw. And I did check out your trip report. Wonderful pictures. Looks like you had a great time!

For resort to resort transportation, the normal quote is to allow 90 minutes. I think you may be ok with closer to an hour since the 2nd leg is only a short trip from MK, but I might be being a tad optimistic.

Glad I can be of some help.
    Janine