Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Is there a Downton Abbey thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Pampered Mom View Post
    There are two big events/issues coming up - the stock market crash leading to the Great Depression and the rise of Nazi Germany. It's neat seeing it from a fictional perspective.
    I agree. There is a very brief reference to the Nazi Party in one episode. (During the time frame of this season, Hitler has become the leader of the party.)

I'm curious how far they will jump ahead in time from the CS after season 4 to the beginning of season 5. It has only been a few months between the last couple of seasons.

I think it could be a while before they get to the Great Depression since it is still more than six years away as of the CS.

How far the show progresses will be affected a lot by Julian Fellowes' schedule. A quote from him:
    “I don’t know yet if there is a Season 6, but it’s not going to go on forever. It won’t be Perry Mason.”
    Last edited by Not That Josh; 02-06-2014 at 12:36 AM.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I assumed the problems in America were related to the Teapot Dome scandal, but I don't recall it well enough to know whether it would have affected ordinary investors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teapot_Dome_scandal
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

between the nation's capital and Charm City
    Ooh, good historical reference. I knew the term Teapot Dome but didn't remember at all what it was about. I think you're right.
    Becca

Mastering the art of creative avoidance

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorK View Post
    I assumed the problems in America were related to the Teapot Dome scandal, but I don't recall it well enough to know whether it would have affected ordinary investors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teapot_Dome_scandal
    Correct. I think someone says it in an episode. I'm not sure which one.

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorK View Post
    Well, I learned something new today!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    I totally saw it coming when Edith went to the doctor and then got the letter. Be interesting to find out what happened to the scoundrel!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Not That Josh View Post
    Reposting myself because this was from tonight's episode. The conversations between these two in this episode (the season too) is so funny and good.
    Love the interaction between Isobel and the Dowager!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

Netflix queue currently at 3,912 - all Disney related LizD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
    I totally saw it coming when Edith went to the doctor and then got the letter. Be interesting to find out what happened to the scoundrel!
    Actually, the real reason she went to the dr did initially cross my mind but I dismissed it thinking that was WAY too obvious. So then I thought she had cancer or something and they were going to kill her off.

I don't think he's being a scoundrel, there must be more to the story. (But I was wrong about Edith, so?)

Quote Originally Posted by LizD View Post
    Actually, the real reason she went to the dr did initially cross my mind but I dismissed it thinking that was WAY too obvious. So then I thought she had cancer or something and they were going to kill her off.

I don't think he's being a scoundrel, there must be more to the story. (But I was wrong about Edith, so?)
    I guess that's just the first thing to cross my mind when a woman goes to the doctor and doesn't want her family to know! LOL

I agree that there's got to be more to the story but I still think he's a scoundrel!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar

Poor Edith and what about Bates? What do you think he'll do....

I'm glad Bates figured it out. I think it might be Mrs. Hughes who does something about it though; she's getting feisty. I can see her and Bates forming some sort of plan to take care of him.

No way, Bates is a lone wolf! :)

Thanks for the reminder that I haven't watched Sunday's episode. How can this have happened? Oh, Olympics. That's all that's been on the TV this week. Plus, I'm trying to be more productive and not watch as much TV. Bah to that. Maybe on snow day Thursday I'll settle in with some Downton.
    Becca

Quote Originally Posted by LizD View Post
    No way, Bates is a lone wolf! :)
    true. but, maybe Mrs. Hughes will talk him into doing it stealthily? or help him carry it out? I might be wishing this to happen so she's got a totally different storyline!

Everyone is curious about Bates and Gregson and only two episodes left (or one and the CS).

I saw something about the CS and was reminded that it's an episode where knowing about a historical figure can help. For this episode it's Edward VIII. He is still the Price of Wales at the time of the episode, but it's good to know who he was and his reputation.

There was a similar situation earlier in the season with people talking about Lloyd George.

Quote Originally Posted by pfalcioni View Post
    LOL....love it!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

For anyone who got into "Mr. Selfridge" last year, it's back starting this Sunday.
    Becca

I'm looking forward to that starting up.

Peanut butter is yummy.
    I just noticed my DVR has 5 or 6 episodes recently recorded- I guess that was repeats of last season?
    I could not stand that Mr Selfridge- thought he was a real jerk- but did like the show overall.

When is Call the Midwife going to be on? After Selfridges?

Call the Midwife season 3 premiere's this Sunday as well. On WETA they're putting Call the Midwife on at 8 and Mr. Selfridge at 9. Yes, they've been rerunning the last season of Downton.
    Becca

Ugg, I forgot to set my dvr for Call the Midwife so now I have to wait until they reair it at 4 am on Thurs.

I like Mr Selfrdge too. I love peeking into the time periods for these shows especially.

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    Liz, our local PBS station streams them for free, you might check to see if they're available on your local site so you don't have to wait to watch.

This thread wasn't used last year, but with this being the last season, I thought it was worth reminding people of it. Also, because there are new people on the site who are unaware of the thread.