Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Read any good books lately?

Of the ones you mentioned, I think Dolores Claiborne was the most "satisfying" ending. But, I still think none of the endings hold up to the rest of the book for his work. Sometimes it seems like he drags out the ending too much, but then other books it seems like if he had gone on longer it might have turned out better. He has an amazing ability to create enthralling stories, but his endings just don’t do the stories justice.

The most disapointing endings for me were The Stand and the dark tower books. I will say that in his short stories he seems more consistant from start to finish.
    I admit that I have gotten more bitter since the dark tower books, but I still buy his stuff as soon as it gets out and enjoy the stories. But, still.... If I read 7 books in a series and get that invested in the characters, I want something more than “he falls down a hole and it all starts over again.” I hated the movie “Groundhog’s Day,” and when I read that ending I felt like King had just ripped off the plot of a very annoying movie.

I'll have to see if our town does ebooks. Its a smaller suburb, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprized :) I wish the amazon ebooks were priced the same as physical books. Paying more for an ebook than a phyiscal book really irks me.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pfalcioni View Post

I forgot that our local library also lends out e-books, I've got to sign up for that next time I'm in town, thanks for the reminder George!
    You can probably sign up online. Our library system even has an app to look up, reserve, wait list, and check out. I can also use the app to sign out books at the library. No waiting at the desk. What they can't do these days.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    Ours allows you to fill out the paperwork online, but then you have to take it in to finish the process. I guess they need to see your driver's license to be sure you actually live in their service area.

an enigma wrapped in bacon, deepfried and drizzled with passion fruit aioli drischar's Avatar
    My eyes are almost swollen shut and I can't breathe through my nose after finishing The Book Thief this morning. I had a hard time getting into the story for most of the first half of the book (made worse by very limited amount of reading time for the last 2 months) but the second half and especially the ending was very moving.
    DeAnn

Trips: Lots as a child growing up in FL last time 1992 (always off-site)--Oct 2010 POP first time as a parent--Oct 2011 (Indian Creek home)--Nov 2012 Last minute MNSSHP and F&W weekend with no kids!!--DCL Dream May 2013 (KSC & Legoland)--4 Generations of Princesses, June 2014 (1 day @ MK)---Christmas at WDW! Dec 2015 (rescheduled from Dec 2014) off-site

Ours allows you to fill out the paperwork online, but then you have to take it in to finish the process. I guess they need to see your driver's license to be sure you actually live in their service area.
    That's strange. Don't you have a card already?

Stupid Judy.

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    Not since I moved. Here they expire every 3 years if you don't use them, and we're 35 miles from the library so I don't visit often!

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Our library system's ebook lending process is ridiculous. There's an EXTREMELY limited list of books available, and usually just one "copy" of that book available, so you have to queue up to "check it out." It's usually faster to get on the hold list for the paper copy of bestsellers because there are dozens of them in the library system.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

I just finished The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card. It was excellent. He also wrote my very favorite book, called Enchantment. It is a modern day story of Sleeping Beauty.

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drischar View Post
    My eyes are almost swollen shut and I can't breathe through my nose after finishing The Book Thief this morning. I had a hard time getting into the story for most of the first half of the book (made worse by very limited amount of reading time for the last 2 months) but the second half and especially the ending was very moving.
    I really enjoyed that book too.
    Janine

Haha!!! I guess reading the Iliad is out of the question for him?
    Maybe he'll get there eventually, but The Iliad is out of the question for me. Classic lit is one thing, ancient lit is a whole different animal. I read enough Shakespeare to get me through school, but never really cared for it, and slogging through The Canterbury Tales was the only assignment I ever had that made me want to poke myself in the eyeballs with a fork.

Quote Originally Posted by lelei View Post
    I'm already a 4th of the way there (to the 65) and I love milk chocolate, can I get some Godiva too??
    Absolutely. Because I like you.

(I like everyone I've met here so far, but the last thing I need is for someone to spread the word at That Other Board that there's some idiot over here giving away free chocolate. Uh...no.)

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I use my local library to queue and check out ebooks. It's free. With my $32,000 property tax bill, that is.
    Good heavens, man. That's outrageous. Did you replicate Downton Abbey on the shore of Lake Michigan?

One of the few good things remaining about living in the south is the ridiculously low property tax.
    A man should never neglect his family for business. ~ Walt Disney

I'm almost done with "Secrets of the Lost Summer" by Carla Neggers, and all I can say is OMG-I LOVE it!! I know part of the reason is that it's set at the Quabin Reservoir in Central Massachusetts, near where I lived 20 years ago, and an area I still miss. I love the history of the building of the Quabbin, and I love the gentle love story (gentle is "code" for no hot sex). I love that one character is a birder (so am I) and....well, I just love the book. I know someone said it's too slow, and not enough action but...did I say I love it?

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Love Stephen King! Also enjoy Dean Koontz.

I've read Life of Pi and seen the movie. The movie was excellent!

Gone Girl was crazy! I know alot of people hate the ending.

Grumpy have you read any of the George R. R. Martin books (Game of Thrones, A Dance With Dragons, et al.)? He puts in a lot of detail in his books but man they're addictive! I'm waiting for the last book in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series to come out in paperback because the hardback is akin to Under the Dome in size.

I've read Fall of Giants and want to read Winter of the World.

I met Gail Z. Martin at Books-A-Million one day. I had walked in while she was setting up for a book signing. She stopped me as I was on my way out the door and we had a nice chat. I ended up buying 2 of her books and she signed them for me. This is going to sound contradictory but, the writing isn't the best but I couldn't stop reading the books. LOL

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philip Sendker was a good read.

If you like fluff I highly recommend any of The Sweet Potato Queens books by Jill Connor Browne.

I could go on and on and on and on!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Oh...and I'm currently reading Storm Front by Jim Butcher, which is The Dresden Files series.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

My geek is showing, but I'm really looking forward to the new Mary Roach book out at the end of March. Gulp! is following in the footsteps of my beloved Stiff! and Bonk!, all science writing on the human body and it's quirks as we try and study it. Highly entertaining.
    Chandra
    The Un-Fairest One of All

Quote Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
    LGrumpy have you read any of the George R. R. Martin books (Game of Thrones, A Dance With Dragons, et al.)? He puts in a lot of detail in his books but man they're addictive! I'm waiting for the last book in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series to come out in paperback because the hardback is akin to Under the Dome in size.
    I haven't yet, but Game of Thrones is on my list because the TV series is such a hit. I haven't seen it, but it seems like I'm the only one who hasn't.
    A man should never neglect his family for business. ~ Walt Disney

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    I love the history of the building of the Quabbin
    It is a neat history. I'll have to check out the book, thanks.
    Janine

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I haven't yet, but Game of Thrones is on my list because the TV series is such a hit. I haven't seen it, but it seems like I'm the only one who hasn't.
    Ha! I haven't seen the TV series either so you're not the only one! But, the only reason I haven't is because I don't have cable or satellite TV...just use an antenna.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

I just ready Wallbanger by Alice Clayton. It's a ahem womens book but not on the lines of 50 Shades. The book is HILARIOUS! My husband repeatedly asked me what I was laughing about. :) So if you're looking for a fast read that's funny with some interesting pages, this is one for you.
    There is a great and lasting truth about the family of man. A truth which separates us from all the other creatures of the Earth. We can dream.
    ~Tapestry of Nations~

Thought I'd bump this thread up. Anyone reading anything good? I have about 20 ebooks waitlisted at the local library for my kindle (which will all come through at the same time), but I'm desperate at the moment. :)

We have a lot of vacations coming up (Disney on Saturday, Hawaii at the end of May, CA at the end of June), so I'm "saving" my reading for then. The trick is to time it so that what I want to read is available for download from the library when I want it.

I have heard amazing things about The Orchardist, which is now high on my list of must-reads.

Stupid Judy.

I'm currently plowing my way through the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

Thanks, George! I started The Orchardist, and I'm just an hour or so into it, but it's quite good.

Jill, how are the Dresden Files? I hadn't heard of that series, so I googled it. Sounds interesting! I was looking for something a little escapist for the summer and these might be perfect. :)

Quote Originally Posted by DixieMitch View Post
    Jill, how are the Dresden Files? I hadn't heard of that series, so I googled it. Sounds interesting! I was looking for something a little escapist for the summer and these might be perfect. :)
    Honestly, I didn't like them too much when I first started reading them lol. Even though it's a series, each book is written as a stand-alone book so he repeats background stuff ad nauseum. It gets annoying if you've read the books in order. I still have times when I roll my eyes at some of the stuff and have caught a few continuity errors but all in all I'm enjoying the series. I think they will fit the bill for your summer reading.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

makes josh ride in the passenger seat Rhonda's Avatar
    I signed up for bookbub.com for daily free books. One of the ones I got free, I am totally loving. Not for eveyone though. It's The Dirty Parts of the Bible. It's about a black baptist preacher's son in the early 1900's (I think). I am on chapter 4 and it is hilarious!!!
    If you cant laugh at a teenagers intepretation of the bible, probably not for you. And he is a teen, so in full on puberty (code for some sexual content). If you are good with that, so far it is great!. Not done yet so I dont know if I will love it all the way through, but so far so good.
    Rhonda (obviously)

2009~CBR
    2010~AKV
    2010~POP
    2011~POR
    2012~ASMo (mom and son trip)
    /with 2 "I won a contest" nights at POFQ!
    2012~POP
    2013~POR
    2014~ASSp

Our August 2011 Trip Report

I have a couple of books sitting and waiting but I don't want to start anything because Tuesday Dead Ever After comes out. If I start something now, I'll get confused because I'll start the new one and get stuff mixed up. Is anybody else going to be reading the last Sookie book?