Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Read any good books lately?

Quote Originally Posted by runDisneygirl View Post
    Haven't read consistently as an adult much. Although I have read the Harry Potter series a few times. Pothead.
    I live in a house full of Potheads. After reading all the books, they bought all the DVDs. For a while when they'd ask if I wanted to watch TV with them, I'd have to say "As long as we don't have to watch Harry Potter again." Not that I didn't enjoy the books myself, I just didn't quite get the obsession. I guess I know now how my parents felt about The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilliputian View Post
    I decided to make a collection called 2013 on my Kindle, and I'm putting every book I finish into that collection to see how many books I read in a year. I have 8 in there so far, and I'm over halfway done with 2 others right now.

I mostly read old books I can get for free, many of them geared to children because I want to find books for my book-gobbling children. I have been reading a lot of Elizabeth Gaskel novels for myself lately. I really enjoy her books. She's like a cross between Dickens and Jane Austen. I also recently read Treasure Island. I can't believe no one told me to read it as a child. It was wonderful. Swiss Family Robinson was another good one that I wish I had read earlier. It's nothing like the Disney movie, which I also love, but it's still fantastic.

Right now I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma. It has a lot of technical information in it, but it's still very good and very readable.

Grumpy, I can't imagine holding 5 Dickens' novels. I wouldn't want to read that book because it would be too big and clumsy. You should get a Kindle. You could get all of Dickens' and Twains' works on it, and it would be really lightweight. I love David Copperfield.
    We gave my 13yo son a Kindle Fire for his birthday, and I loaded Robinson Crusoe and The Swiss Family Robinson on it before we gave it to him, because I felt the same way you did when I read them as an adult. To be fair though, my parents probably did encourage me to read them when I was younger, but like most kids I was caught up in what all the other kids were reading. I had to remind my son several times that I really wanted him to read them (between bouts of 'Angry Birds') but he did like them, once he get a handle on what he called 'the old-timey language'. "Uh...yeah. That would be 'English', son."

I'll probably break down and buy a Kindle for myself, eventually. They are convenient gadgets. I downloaded a reference manual for my new camera on Daniel's, in case I need it when we go on vacation. But I'm old-school; there's just something about turning pages and the permanence of books that I can't let go. I like keeping the publishers of physical books in business, too. I'm afraid that if we don't, one day our reliance on electronic media will cause a disaster akin to the burning of the Library of Alexandria.

I like your username, btw. Another of my favorite classics (though I had to wonder if Swift wasn't dropping acid when he wrote it).
    A man should never neglect his family for business. ~ Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by HMaries View Post
    I love of Kinsella's books, I think I've read all of hers. I just finished Jennifer Weiner's new book The Next Best Thing. I also like Emily Giffin's books although the last one was a little disappointing in how short it was. Lauren Weisberger, Meg Cabot, Marian Keyes & really any chic lit lol I don't get a lot of time to read anymore, but when I do I want it to be fun!
    Oh, thanks so much for this. When I read about what books some people read, I get so embarrassed that I don't read "intelligent" books. And it doesn't help that my mother calls what I read "junk" books. Because I so often forget the titles of what I read, I decided to join "goodreads" and keep track. I took the 2013 challenge, hoping for 65 books. Right now I'm reading Susan Mallery, "The Only Way Out", but I did love the Sophie Kinsella. I downloaded a free one, "Mr Right and Other Mongrels" that's supposed to be in the same style as Sophie Kinsella. We'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    Oh, thanks so much for this. When I read about what books some people read, I get so embarrassed that I don't read "intelligent" books. And it doesn't help that my mother calls what I read "junk" books. Because I so often forget the titles of what I read, I decided to join "goodreads" and keep track. I took the 2013 challenge, hoping for 65 books. Right now I'm reading Susan Mallery, "The Only Way Out", but I did love the Sophie Kinsella. I downloaded a free one, "Mr Right and Other Mongrels" that's supposed to be in the same style as Sophie Kinsella. We'll see!
    I'll have to check it out, thanks. Yeah with the 2 kids my reading times is usually during carpool and those 20min before I pass out in bed each night lol usually with the book falling to wake me up :D I try not to read too much during the days since I can get so caught up in the book that I neglect what I'm supposed to be doing lol

Have you read anything by Cecelia Ahern? She wrote P.S. I love you - I didn't like the movie much but loved the book!
    -Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by mmshell103 View Post
    Has anyone read The Paris Wife?
    I read it a few months ago, I liked it a lot more than I expected to. Definitely check it out if you're thinking about it.

I might get more ebooks if they were cheaper. It doesn't make any sense to me that an ebook, which doesn't have to be printed, shipped or stored, is the same cost as a printed book. If they were consistently about half the price of a real book I might be more interested. I do have several ebooks but they are ones I got for free such as several of the Tarzan books and some of the Barsoom books or ones that were on sale that I couldn't even buy used paperbacks for that price (most of the James Bond novels). As it is, I don't have much time to read anything right now but I'm trying to work through the complete Sherlock Holmes. One of these days I'll get all of them, as well as the physical books I've got, read, hopefully before I lose them.

Oh, thanks so much for this. When I read about what books some people read, I get so embarrassed that I don't read "intelligent" books. And it doesn't help that my mother calls what I read "junk" books.
    I have a complete 11-volume set of The History of Civilization by Will Durant. It was a gift from my Dad years ago, and I appreciate it because 1) before the days of Amazon, it was hard to find, and 2) in this condition, it still is. I've never read it. I tried, several times, but it's quite possibly the driest, most boring thing I've ever laid my hands on. There's probably someone out there (who's smarter than me) who enjoyed reading it, and I'm okay with that. At least I gave it a shot. But there's nothing more dreary than forcing yourself to read something that you're just not interested in.

Here's the flip-side to that: Let Us Now Praise Famous Men is a book about southern sharecroppers' lives in the early 1900s. I was born and raised in Georgia, and I love history, so the subject interests me. Agee won a Pulitzer for it, and it was on my Dad's bookshelf, so I decided to read it. It wasn't easy. The man wrote sentences that took up whole pages. His mind opens up like a floodgate, and you either swim or sink. But because I found it interesting, I dog-paddled through it, even though it took a while, and it ended up being one of my favorite books. My Dad never got it back, which always makes him happy.

The point of this thread was to encourage people to read something, because with all of life's gadgetry and demands on our time, it's good to remind ourselves that reading is still a worthwhile pursuit. Too many people don't read at all because they feel like they have to read what other people read, and its sad that they deprive themselves for such a silly reason. There's something out there for everyone. I like to challenge myself occasionally, but you don't have to, and no one here will think you 'less intelligent' if you don't. Read what you like, no matter what your mother thinks, no matter what anyone thinks. Just read.

BTW, I'll do well to read 20 books or so this year. If you read 65 (or even 52), I'll send you a box of Godiva chocolates. (Honestly. That's not sarcasm; I mean it.)

Ohhh how many do I need to read for some Godiva chocolates???

I knew I'd get in trouble for that.

Fifty-two. But eleven of them have to be The History of Civilization, just so I can say that I know someone who read it.

Lol I don't think they have that on kindle...maybe I'll just eat my Lindt Lindor truffles I already have :p

Somewhat of a reading-related question...does anyone have the nook HD? If so, do you like it?
    -Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    BTW, I'll do well to read 20 books or so this year. If you read 65 (or even 52), I'll send you a box of Godiva chocolates. (Honestly. That's not sarcasm; I mean it.)
    Watch out! I'm a chocoholic-LOVE any chocolate. Put that together with reading, and I have a challenge!

Lol so Ive actually set myself a goal on the 2013 challenge on goodreads....100 books! :) and I'll sporadically eat my chocolate as I read!

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I just finished Steven King's 11/22/63, I think it's one of his best efforts.
    I read that last year - it's the only Steven King book I've read. I was totally wrapped up in it for almost the whole thing, but I think the conclusion was pretty weak. Almost as if he realized he couldn't figure out how to end it, so let's just have a character pop up out of nowhere and explain everything, wrapping it up with a neat little bow. But outside of that, it was an absolute page turner!
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

It did seem a bit contrived. I thought that he had the makings of a good ending in the works, then realized that it wouldn't be quite 'King-ish' to have anything resembling a 'happily ever after' ending.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Heh, yeah I guess not.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    he did like them, once he get a handle on what he called 'the old-timey language'. "Uh...yeah. That would be 'English', son."
    Haha!!! I guess reading the Iliad is out of the question for him?

I love my Kindle, and I agree that paying a bunch for an e-book is something I really hate doing. But I do want the writers to get paid, so I just keep an eye on the sales. They usually offer some good titles for $1.99, and I just grab them when it's something that I know I'll want to read. That's the best thing about the Kindle, having things on my virtual bookshelf doesn't take up a bunch of space or gather dust like the real bookshelves in my house.

I never thought I'd switch to an e-reader (I love the smell and feel of a good book), but I'll be honest it's much easier for me to read when I don't have to hold the pages open. Works exceptionally well when I'm eating lunch - all I have to do is keep one finger clean to turn the page!

I'm currently re-reading some favorites. Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon is what I'm in the middle of right now. I'll probably switch to some lightweight victorian murder mysteries while we're on vacation though - Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh. I don't have to concentrate on the storyline as much with those.

I love history, but usually in video form rather than book, so I don't think I'll be able to claim those Godiva chocolates! I did love Guns Germs and Steel though - that was an amazing read.

Well, I finished "The Only Way Out" and I gotta say, it really wasn't my type. On the plus side, it was a Susan Mallery book, but on the negative side-not my type of people. He was the special forces/government spy-type with rippling muscles, etc. They jumped into bed and had wild sex, THEN fell in love later. I guess I'm just too old-in my day, girls who had sex with guys they didn't love....well, there was a name for those girls. Aren't I an old fuddy-duddy? Next book "Last Writes", a cozy mystery that so far has no sex-I think I've read more than my share!

Well, I finished "The Only Way Out" and I gotta say, it really wasn't my type. On the plus side, it was a Susan Mallery book, but on the negative side-not my type of people. He was the special forces/government spy-type with rippling muscles, etc. They jumped into bed and had wild sex, THEN fell in love later. I guess I'm just too old-in my day, girls who had sex with guys they didn't love....well, there was a name for those girls. Aren't I an old fuddy-duddy? Next book "Last Writes", a cozy mystery that so far has no sex-I think I've read more than my share!
    Ahhh I recognize you from the other boards reading thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by quietgirll View Post
    Ahhh I recognize you from the other boards reading thread!!

I hope that's not a bad thing.

Lol not at all, but I got such a case of deja vu when I read your post here- I was like wait...it said there were new posts?? Then the light bulb went off :)

fizboBunny
    I really need to get back into the reading habit. I need to ban my iPad from the bed so I don't fall asleep looking at Disney blogs.

I love my e ink Kindle. I was very against the idea of a kindle and was a bit upset when DH bought me the first one, but now I'm hooked. The tipping point for me was when I was reading Under the Dome by Stephen King. My MIL had given me the gi-normous hard back for Christmas. It was much easier to carry around the kindle version. I had a portfolio style cover for it (opens long ways) so that I could tent the book to read when eating or sleeping. It has saved much pain in my shoulder. Falling asleep while reading an actual book is painful. I have a regular cover now and don't like it as much.

I do not like reading from the iPad. I find the screen too bright. I much prefer the kindle because when looking at it looks just like printed text from a physical book.

I'm already a 4th of the way there (to the 65) and I love milk chocolate, can I get some Godiva too??

I read alot of "junk" too, but honestly there is nothing wrong with it at all. I think I've learned things from the junk books too. I just finished up the Lucas Davenport series and throughout the books I was looking up Minnesota geography and general stuff on wikipedia. I've learned that I definately do not want to live that far north :)

I went through a kick of reading classics and such two years ago, and after I finished Les Miserables, I just ran out of steam for that type of book. Now, I read what entertains me or what catches my interest. Last week I averaged almost two books a day because I honestly was enjoying what I was reading and really got into the books. The week before it took me 2 days to finish a book about the riots in Chicago because it was dry and I kept stopping to look stuff up on wikipedia. I think any book that gets you curious about something is well worth the time spent reading.

The kindle cloud reader and lots of time to kill at work gets expensive quickly though :( I hate how the ebooks add up, so I check the free books section often and I try to keep an eye out for authors that are not charging $10+ per ebook. So far I've found a good detective series at 2.99 each, but not much luck with other genres. Theres typically alot of romance type books in the free section and sometimes you can catch an author trying to gain readership for a new series on there. I've found some fun fluff to read on there.

Don't be embarrassed about anything you read, the act of reading itself is something you should be proud of!

And about Stephen King- his endings are always a let down. He tells a great story but almost always disapoints with the ending. I've been a huge fan since I was young, but never remember a book of his that had a great ending. Sometimes its like he uses up all his creativity during the book and then just gives up at the end.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lelei View Post

The kindle cloud reader and lots of time to kill at work gets expensive quickly though :( I hate how the ebooks add up, so I check the free books section often and I try to keep an eye out for authors that are not charging $10+ per ebook. So far I've found a good detective series at 2.99 each, but not much luck with other genres. Theres typically alot of romance type books in the free section and sometimes you can catch an author trying to gain readership for a new series on there. I've found some fun fluff to read on there.
    I use my local library to queue and check out ebooks. It's free. With my $32,000 property tax bill, that is.

And about Stephen King- his endings are always a let down. He tells a great story but almost always disapoints with the ending. I've been a huge fan since I was young, but never remember a book of his that had a great ending. Sometimes its like he uses up all his creativity during the book and then just gives up at the end.
    Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption? Pet Sematary? The Shning? 'Salem's Lot? Dolores Claiborne? The Green Mile? There are plenty of satisfying King endings out there, but I understand what you mean about how he drops the ball sometimes. Under the Dome was extraordinary, but the throwaway ending was unworthy of the story it finished. 11/22/63 kind of got bogged down in the last 200 pages or so, but the coda was a return to good storytelling and wrapped up that epic beautifully.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    Robert Heinlein's books have a bad habit of just sort of dribbling off at the end, but I love his writing, his worlds, and his ideas, so I put up with them. I always swore that I'd just put his books down before I read the last chapter but I never got the nerve.

The week before it took me 2 days to finish a book about the riots in Chicago because it was dry and I kept stopping to look stuff up on wikipedia.
    I love the ability to instantly look things up on my Kindle. It's like when I was a kid and reading a bit over my comprehension level and having the dictionary there next to me for reference. With the Kindle it's like having the dictionary and the encyclopedia right there!

I forgot that our local library also lends out e-books, I've got to sign up for that next time I'm in town, thanks for the reminder George!

I really wish Amazon would offer a discount on the kindle version of a book I've already purchased from them. They do this on some music CD's, if you've bought the cd they now automatically give you the MP3 versions of the entire album for free. They also have a deal where if you buy the kindle version of a book you can get the audiobook for just a few dollars more.