Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Read any good books lately?

Read any good books lately?

I just finished Steven King's 11/22/63, I think it's one of his best efforts. I'd highly recommend it if you liked The Stand or Under The Dome.

Now I'm off to The Collected Works of Mark Twain (again), and then on to Charles Dickens - Five Novels, both presented to me by my lovely wife, who was irked that I finished the King novel in four days. It seems to bother her somewhat that I burn through books like a forest fire, though for the life of me I can't see why it should. I just read a lot, and if it's something I like, I read it voraciously. *shrug*

I'm partial to American and English classics, histories of the Revolutionary, Civil, and Vietnam Wars, and 'regional stories' like Let Us Now Praise Famous Men and Into The Wild. Steven King and Micheal Crichton are two of my favorite modern writers; if you know of any similar to them, please introduce me to them. Documentaries, biographies, tales of knights and pirates - truth is, I'll read almost anything, though I'm not a fan of Danielle Steel-type romance novels. If that's your thing, more power to you, and by all means share it with us. It's just not my cup of tea.

So...what about you? Likes, dislikes, suggestions? If you liked it, I'll read it.

And remember: Reading is FUNdamental.
    A man should never neglect his family for business. ~ Walt Disney

Books? LOL!@!

Loved loved LOVED 11/22/63! Loved! Right now I am re-reading gone girl- if you haven't read that, it is amazing! I generally enjoy thrillers/mysteries, but I really like anything- except trashy romance...BLECH!

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Books? LOL!@!
    I'm shocked!!

OK, no...not really.

Quote Originally Posted by quietgirll View Post
    Loved loved LOVED 11/22/63! Loved!
    Were you asking yourself what you would do if you had that opportunity? I love books like that.

Right now I am re-reading gone girl- if you haven't read that, it is amazing!
    Looks interesting. I'll put it on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Were you asking yourself what you would do if you had that opportunity? I love books like that.

There are so many parts of that book that kept making me ask what if...

Netflix queue currently at 3,912 - all Disney related LizD's Avatar
    I just finished Life of Pi. It was great. It may be bordering on being my new "favorite book".

Quote Originally Posted by quietgirll View Post
    Loved loved LOVED 11/22/63! Loved! Right now I am re-reading gone girl- if you haven't read that, it is amazing! I generally enjoy thrillers/mysteries, but I really like anything- except trashy romance...BLECH!
    I loved gone girl as well but loved Gillian Flynn's earlier 2 books just a little more - dark places and sharp objects. I'm excited for this thread, I'm stuck in a reading rut.

I was going to say the same thing about Gillian Flynn's earlier books. I liked both of those better than Gone. I kept seeing Hilary Mantel's Bringing Up the Bodies on lots of "best of 2012" lists, so I checked that out recently. Couldn't finish it. I love history (it was my major in college....super useful!), but I could not get into this one. Apparently everyone else did though. :)

I recently finished Where'd You Go, Bernadette. Maria Semple is the author and I want to say she used to write for Arrested Development. I really enjoyed this one. It's not as "offbeat" as Arrested Development, but you can see some similarities in the style. It was a little bit of a mystery, with some slightly sarcastic humor thrown in. A very fun read.

I'm a Stephen King fan too, and I agree about 11/22/63 being one of his best. I wasn't too enthralled with Wind Through the Keyhole though. I also agree that Life of Pi was a really good one.

Dean Koontz is semi-close to King, but his books get paranormal too often for me. Still, I've read and enjoyed a lot of his stuff. I'm the type that enjoys longer books, and lately I've been reading crime series that star the same character. I read quite a few of James Patterson, but didn't really like his characters too much. I have found that I really like Michael Connelly with Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller. I also enjoyed the Lucas Davenport series, although the name of the author escapes me.

However, the cost of those books add up! I think it cost me nearly $200 to read the whole Prey series on my Kindle. So, I've been looking around for other authors who do fairly long series without charging $10 a book. I've been reading a series by LJ Sellers lately that stars a detective named Wade Jackson that is only $2.99 a book. Not quite the same quality as Michael Connelly, but good stories.

I'm also a huge Michael Crichton fan, and like you I will read almost anything as well. I really haven't found anyone who writes quite like Crichton yet, so please let me know if you stumble upon something. One book that reminded me of him was First Patient by Michael Palmer, and it was a very good book but just not the same :(

If your looking for books that you can just devour, I would try out some of the crime/detective series. Michael Connelly is a great place to start for those. Each book is substantial and it was really interesting to see the character evolve and change over the years that he has written about him.

If you like historical fiction, I remember finding a book called "The Eagles Daughter" fascinating many years ago. It was historical fiction that took place in the Byzantine empire. It was long enough to be really interesting and engrossing, and the unique setting was fascinating.

I really wish there were more quality books for under the 9.99 mark on Amazon. It really sucks when buying an ebook costs more than the print books on the site!

I was looking forward to seeing Life of Pi at the theater, but now I think I'll read the book first.

I read the 'Jack Reacher' series by Lee Child. Enjoyed most of them, but after 5 or 6 of them he started leaning too heavily on the same story structure. I think that's the problem I have with most one-character series; it's hard to make them 'just different enough' from story to story.

As for historical fiction, I don't think I've ever read any better than The Pillars of the Earth. The unabridged 1989 printing is better, but it's ridiculously expensive now. I just reread The Prince and the Pauper, and it rekindled an interest in the Tudors. I can't wait to get my hands on some of Margaret George's books...after I get through the other 5 books I've just added to my list. It never ends, does it?

I LOVE the Jack Reacher series. I've read all of them. His gig does get old after a while, but I still love reading them.
    Sara

Eat, drink and be merry

I love to read, but what I like is considered "fluff". I just finished a Sophie Kinsella, "Shopaholic and Sister". My favorite book in the last year was another of Sophie Kinsella's, "The Undomestic Goddess". I also read lots of cozy mysteries and Contemporary Romance. My favorite in Cozies is Rita Lakin, in Contemporary Romance is Sherryl Woods.

I'm reading Winter of the World, the follow up to Fall of Giants by Ken Follet. They are great historical fiction, if that's you cup 'o tea.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    I love to read, but what I like is considered "fluff".
    There's nothing wrong with a little fluff. I read Josh's blog sometimes.

Haven't read consistently as an adult much. Although I have read the Harry Potter series a few times. Pothead.

As a kid, I read almost all the books (that were published to the date of 1991) by Martha Grimes. Love a good murder mystery! I should start those again. Great suggestions from everyone!
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Medals pending : 2021 Star Wars, 2023 Glass Slipper + Tink

I love to read, but what I like is considered "fluff". I just finished a Sophie Kinsella, "Shopaholic and Sister". My favorite book in the last year was another of Sophie Kinsella's, "The Undomestic Goddess". I also read lots of cozy mysteries and Contemporary Romance. My favorite in Cozies is Rita Lakin, in Contemporary Romance is Sherryl Woods.
    I love the fluff. Jennifer Weiner is my fave fluff writer. I already know I'm picking out one or two of her books for the drive to WDW next month
    Brandi

I decided to make a collection called 2013 on my Kindle, and I'm putting every book I finish into that collection to see how many books I read in a year. I have 8 in there so far, and I'm over halfway done with 2 others right now.

I mostly read old books I can get for free, many of them geared to children because I want to find books for my book-gobbling children. I have been reading a lot of Elizabeth Gaskel novels for myself lately. I really enjoy her books. She's like a cross between Dickens and Jane Austen. I also recently read Treasure Island. I can't believe no one told me to read it as a child. It was wonderful. Swiss Family Robinson was another good one that I wish I had read earlier. It's nothing like the Disney movie, which I also love, but it's still fantastic.

Right now I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma. It has a lot of technical information in it, but it's still very good and very readable.

Grumpy, I can't imagine holding 5 Dickens' novels. I wouldn't want to read that book because it would be too big and clumsy. You should get a Kindle. You could get all of Dickens' and Twains' works on it, and it would be really lightweight. I love David Copperfield.

Has anyone read The Paris Wife?
    -Michelle

I love of Kinsella's books, I think I've read all of hers. I just finished Jennifer Weiner's new book The Next Best Thing. I also like Emily Giffin's books although the last one was a little disappointing in how short it was. Lauren Weisberger, Meg Cabot, Marian Keyes & really any chic lit lol I don't get a lot of time to read anymore, but when I do I want it to be fun!
    Last edited by HMaries; 01-18-2013 at 12:51 PM.

I think The Paris Wife will be next for my Kindle. That whole era intrigues me.
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Medals pending : 2021 Star Wars, 2023 Glass Slipper + Tink

Quote Originally Posted by runDisneygirl View Post
    I think The Paris Wife will be next for my Kindle. That whole era intrigues me.
    I think it may be my next as well! I'm hoping it's as great as the reviews claim...
    -Michelle

I thought dark places was an amazing book, and by far the best of the 3! Both of those 2 are probably about to come right back up on my re-read list!

Also see ken follet mentioned in here a couple of times...his stuff is great. Pillars of the earth is just amazing, but not something I'd ever think I would read...probably the BEST I've ever read tho. Love his new century series, and his other non spy works are good. I've never read any of his international spy books, those topics just dont appeal to me.
    Last edited by quietgirll; 01-18-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Any other Vince Flynn fans? I really enjoy his books for a quick fictional/strategic CIA read. I don't know that you necessarily must read them in order, but I have.