As proof that I really have nothing better to do, I’m headed out tomorrow to check on the current state of transportation and Extra Magic Hours. As you may be aware, Disney is now shutting down the Epcot monorail one hour after regular Park close and the Magic Kingdom monorail one hour after regular Park close. This means that the monorails will not be running during Extra Magic Hours. Tomorrow’s evening Extra Magic Hours at Magic Kingdom is the first time this will actually come into play. While the shutdown of the monorail isn’t a major concern at the moment because Magic Kingdom is open until 11pm or 12am each night, it may become more of an issue this fall and winter when Magic Kingdom begins closing earlier. When Magic Kingdom closes at 7pm to host Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party, will the monorail continue operating through the Party or will it really cease operation at 8pm? Will people staying at the Polynesian Resort no longer be able to hop on a monorail over to Contemporary Resort to eat at California Grill and then ride back if Magic Kingdom is closed? Okay, so I won’t be answering those questions tomorrow since it’s still August, but I’m sure we’ll figure that out in due time. What I am going to check on is how buses are shared, how efficient they are, when the monorails actually close, and how Disney is handling crowd control and the masses in explaining this new development.
My itinerary is going to look something like:
1.Friday 4pm – Check in to Pop Century Resort
2. Friday 6pm – Head out to Epcot and hang around until 10pm.
3. Friday 10pm – Inspect transportation options as Epcot monorail supposedly shuts down – hopefully hitch a ride to Ticket/Transportation Center or one of the Monorail Deluxes.
4. Friday 11pm – Watch Main Street Electrical Parade, hang around.
5. Friday 12am – 2am – Transportation Reconaissance
6. Friday 3am – Check crowds at end of Extra Magic Hours. Check on bus/boat transportation to Monorail Deluxes.
7. Saturday – 7am – Go to Hollywood Studios morning Extra Magic Hour.
If you have a specific question in regards to transportation, Extra Magic Hours, Pop Century, or whatever else feel free to post it!! I’ll do my best to check it out for you.