Starbucks Coming to Main Street Bakery. MY LIFE IS OFFICIALLY OVER.

by josh on November 10, 2012

Edit: Leaked menu added at end of post.

I wasn’t going to.  But I don’t want to be left out.

Early last month, in this post, I mentioned that Main Street Bakery would be converting over to a Starbucks location early next year.  This was not a big secret.  Yesterday, Disney Parks Blog ran this story, available in its entirety here.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind.  The first is that the “Main Street Bakery” is not going anywhere.

Remember how much work Disney put in to the facade earlier this year?

We’re not talking about a paint job.  Disney “literally” removed the entire facade and rebuilt it from the ground up.  That’s why it took almost seven months.

It looked like this in January.

Inside, you can probably expect to see some changes.  Objectively(?), the seating area is currently small, kind of depressing, and doesn’t effectively take advantage of the space.  The tile floor is drab.  The lighting is dark.  The counter seating around the side, in an attempt to increase capacity, has guests staring blankly at a wall.  But Disney isn’t turning this into a Downtown Chicago, sterile, corporate (SOULLESS I TELL YOU!) Starbucks location.  Per Disney Parks Blog:

Both locations will be designed to fit the theme of their surroundings. At Magic Kingdom Park, for example, cast members will wear a costume consistent with the early 20th century look and feel of Main Street, U.S.A

Disney is in charge here.  Even the cast members working the location will remain on Disney’s payroll.  They are not Starbucks employees.

Finally, to quote a followup answer on the Parks Blog, “Yes there will be a selection of Disney favorites that you’ve enjoyed at the bakery over the years,” in addition to the Starbucks coffee, pastries, sandwiches, etc.

Now, Disney Parks Blog did a lousy job of addressing obvious concerns.  They should have made what I just told you clearer.  They also don’t discuss which “Disney favorites” will remain available.  While this is the first Starbucks at Walt Disney World, it isn’t the first Starbucks in a Disney theme park.  There’s already one in California, which Disney Food Blog has a nice look at here.  I’d take a look at that Starbucks before reserving judgement on what Starbucks at Magic Kingdom will look like.

Popular Complaints

Point: Starbucks is already so expensive, what’s a latte going to cost at Disney World, $50?  LOL!

Counterpoint: No.  Take a look at pricing in California.

Now compare it to Disney pricing:

Looks like you have your choice of about four drinks with no sizing considerations as it stands.  Starbucks at California Adventure has over 25 choices and you know exactly what you’re going to get size-wise.  You also have the option to customize the beverage to your specifications with some easily laid out options.

This is what a $3.99 Disney French Vanilla Iced Coffee looks like.  It’s at most 16 ounces.  What can I get for four bucks at Starbucks?  A 31 ounce Iced Coffee with four flavor choices, including Vanilla.  On top of all that, Starbucks also offers seasonal choices like their Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Point: But they’re taking away my favorite items like the Cinnamon Roll and the Ice Cream Sandwich!

Counterpoint: Maybe, but those items are still going to be available, even if they’re not at Main Street Bakery.  For example, your Ice Cream Sandwich is available at Sleepy Hollow Refreshments in Liberty Square:

And they have a lot more choices, including seasonal ice cream flavors like Birthday Cake and Pumpkin.

For the Cinnamon Roll, it probably isn’t a coincidence that it’s one of the featured items back at Gaston’s Tavern.  I’ve been told the glaze is different or something?  Try to keep an open mind.  Sometimes adults have to deal with small changes.

Point: Starbucks is an evil corporation that has no business being in any Disney Park, let alone Main Street USA!

Counterpoint: Probably.  But they all are.

Nestle, the current sponsor here and elsewhere, uses child slave labor in West Africa in cocoa production.  It’s estimated that more than 1.8 million children are exploited in cocoa production along the Ivory Coast.  And it’s impossible to keep cocoa produced with slave labor out of the overall supply.

Siemens, which sponsors everyone’s favorite golf ball, built death camps in a subsidiary of Auschwitz, among other locations.  Inside these camps, hundreds of thousands of slave laborers built electronic parts used by the Nazis for the German war effort.  A slave laborer could “work” for Siemens by day and be murdered in a death camp built by the company that night.  BUT!!!  They did finally do the right thing(?) by offering 12 million dollars to holocaust survivors.  Or I would guess $20 each?  And more recently, they’re on the hook for a few billion dollars along with Volkswagen, Audi, and others after settling a lawsuit brought by survivors.

Brawny and Sparkle, both of which sponsor paper towels in the bathrooms, are Georgia Pacific brands.  That company has paid hundreds of millions of dollars in fines for polluting the environment and trying to cover it up before and after getting picked up by Koch Inc.  Koch may be most famous for a 1996 pipeline explosion that killed two kids, ultimately resulting in a 296 million dollar settlement to the families due to negligence.

Of course I could go on with just about every corporate sponsor at Walt Disney World, which there are a ton of, but you get the idea.  Or did you want to talk about the Walt Disney Company itself?

Point: But…but…but…no logos or advertisements for companies other than Disney should be seen on Main Street!

Counterpoint:

And that’s only the buildings adjacent and across from Main Street Bakery as they stand today.  The bottom picture was taken from a Kodak Picture Spot.

Point: Starbucks’ coffee is terrible and their food sucks!

Counterpoint: Okay, that’s objective…  I’m not a big coffee drinker myself, but unless you’re just being difficult for the sake of being difficult, I guarantee you can find something you like there.  And if you can’t…well…I’m sure Nescafe will be available somewhere.  You can always bring a thermos.  Or walk to the Contemporary Resort.

Conclusion

Starbucks coffee is coming to Main Street Bakery.  It’s going to look the same on the outside and probably look better on the inside.  The pricing is pretty reasonable and they have a much better variety of drinks that are across the board higher quality.  And if you’ve banded together on the various Disney fan forums with a few like-minded individuals that are Starbucks-adverse, be absolutely clear that you’re in the absolute smallest minority possible and nothing you can do will stop $bux from arriving at the Bakery this summer.  99.9% of people visiting Magic Kingdom come summer 2013 either don’t care, won’t notice, or will be in line for an iced coffee.

Edit: After a little digging, I was able to find a copy of the menu that will be offered after Main Street Bakery reopens in early summer 2013:

Anonymous November 10, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I love Starbucks and am very happy that I will be able to get my daily dose at WDW.

Chris November 10, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Finally….someone else who sees what is really happening.

Anonymous November 10, 2012 at 10:16 pm

This was amazing, thank you. Deal with it… Perfect!!

Farside99 November 11, 2012 at 2:30 am

I don’t like coffee and don’t care :-|

Tracey November 11, 2012 at 2:56 am

Reading your blogs kind of reminds me of reading “Cole’s Notes”.
Thanks for putting it all in perspective!
It makes sense now!

Lucy November 11, 2012 at 2:59 am

Well said Josh! I’m loving the idea of a Starbucks in WDW and I can’t wait to watch the parade with a GOOD grande caramel frappucinno!

Amanda November 11, 2012 at 3:49 am

So well put! I think the hysteria being created by some people is utterly over the top and needless!

Steve November 11, 2012 at 4:13 am

“Counterpoint: Okay, that’s objective…”

I assume you mean “subjective”. Or maybe you’re being sarcastic. Or something. I dunno.

I could never quite understand the “Starbucks is stupidly expensive” argument – I find it is no worse that other coffee outlets. And note that even (bottled) water costs $2.50 – more than a regular coffee. :-/

judy November 11, 2012 at 4:27 am

Sometimes adults have to deal with small changes.

Hehe.

DoctorK November 11, 2012 at 4:37 am

Well done. *slow claps*

Val November 11, 2012 at 5:21 am

Well said, Josh. Calm down people. It will be okay.

shalom November 11, 2012 at 5:24 am

What judy said. Also, “I wasn’t going to. But I don’t want to be left out.” Ha!

It’s interesting. When it was first announced Starbucks would be in the parks, the basic response was: Many Coffee Drinkers Rejoiced. When it was announced Starbucks would be in the Main Street Bakery, suddenly it’s all Luke’s Daddy Discovery “Noooooo!”

Jill R. November 11, 2012 at 5:30 am

What a perfect response Josh.

Danielle November 11, 2012 at 5:37 am

Nicely (and common sense-ly) put. what about the argument “Walt would never have wanted this!!” (read dramatically with a sigh, hand to forehead, eyes roll back, and then faint)

tanya November 11, 2012 at 5:41 am

Like Farside99 – I don’t like coffee and don’t care either.
It’s hard to be a grown-up, isn’t it?

marlaine November 11, 2012 at 5:56 am

WDW needs some good coffee! Since the store is going to fit into the atmosphere and the CMs will still be a part of Disney, I don’t see the big problem.
Perhaps if people really looked at the changes (as you have), they wouldn’t be so quick to fight it. Many are signing petitions to stop Starbucks. Frankly, I don’t see the big deal. Corporate sponsorships have long been a part of WDW–yes even on Main Street!

Steph November 11, 2012 at 6:01 am

Thanks, Josh. Great as always. I wish people would remember that they are on vacation. Either get one or don’t. You are on vacation in Disney World!!! Is it really that bad??

bowbat November 11, 2012 at 6:11 am

Best conclusion ever.

Chris November 11, 2012 at 7:07 am

Finally, we’ll be able to get a decent cup coffee at WDW! Pretty sure all coffee at WDW, except the stand in front of AK, is instant coffee.

Beverly November 11, 2012 at 7:16 am

I have always been amazed & disappointed by Disney coffee. I could never figure out how they made it taste bad & taste like nothing at the same time. While I am a coffee drinker, the location at the parks does me no good. I want coffee a few minutes after my eyes open in the morning, not after being awake for a few hours. I think a better solution would have been to upgrade the coffee all over the resort but hopefully that will be addressed in the near future. As long as they have Starbucks fit into the Main Street environment & maintain a “Disney feel”, I don’t see what the big deal is.

Ejrj November 11, 2012 at 7:33 am

Are there Pulitzer prizes for the blogging world???

Joy November 11, 2012 at 8:01 am

This is perfect! All of the annoying posts about the world ending because Starbucks is coming to The Main Street Bakery are ridiculous! I do agree with Beverly, they do need to upgrade coffee everywhere in WDW. We are lucky enough to stay with DVC, so we can make our own coffee every morning and not be at the mercy of Disney when it comes to coffee!

Craig November 11, 2012 at 8:17 am

More importantly…Justin and Selena broke up – (gasp!)

weepstah November 11, 2012 at 8:29 am

My Disney memories have been ruined forever. I will, never, repeat, NEVER, spend my hard earned dollars at that soulless corporate…wait, what’s that? Free dining offer? Never mind.

Lisa G November 11, 2012 at 8:33 am

Very good points, thank you! I’m really bummed that the bakery will be closed for our trip in February, though – I was really counting on them for using snack credits on breakfast items, etc. :(

@Aaron_Ardle November 11, 2012 at 8:55 am

I have consumed a lake of those French vanilla iced coffees. I am all for this. I hope the branding in the park incorporates the original Starbucks logo that was in use in the 70′s. Here is a link if you’ve never seen it: http://tinyurl.com/3w64eku

Ferg November 11, 2012 at 9:09 am

I’m thrilled. The Nescafe stuff is AWFUL! I had coffee one day on our last 10 day trip because it was so awful. Headache every day since I wasn’t getting my coffee. Now I can have better coffee than Nescafe! Since they are keeping the look and many of our favorite treats (either here or elsewhere in the park), I’m OK with it. If they were to lose the look and the treats, I would say the coffee isn’t worth it. But it seems to be a nice enhancement/addition — we aren’t losing anything.

pfalcioni November 11, 2012 at 9:46 am

You. Rock.

ken November 11, 2012 at 10:08 am

I couldn’t care less if they bring in Starbucks coffee or not. Our whole family has always loved eating breakfast at Main Street Bakery (and judgeing by how crowded it usually is we are not the only ones) now it sounds like that will be over. Deal with it? No thanks, I think this stinks. If you want to put in a Starbucks do it somewhere else in the park.

Greg November 11, 2012 at 10:08 am

I was taken by surprise at the outcry over this considering it was mentioned here a while back. I’d figured it was common knowledge by now.

Bunny November 11, 2012 at 10:14 am

Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom?!?!?! Vacation OVER! Memories RUINED! My husband THRILLED!

breezy2 November 11, 2012 at 10:21 am

I was reading all the posts on disboards about this, and I thought this is old news, isn’t it? Guess they don’t all read your blog Josh. LOL Thanks for getting us the scoop before the public announcement. I also like the way you broke it all down for us. My daughter is happy. She loves Starbucks. I hate coffee, so couldn’t care less who serves it.

Adam November 11, 2012 at 10:22 am

You finally got to use that Bieber image!!!

Scrump November 11, 2012 at 10:27 am

Oh, Josh; just when I think I can’t love you any more! Great post.

Mary Ann November 11, 2012 at 11:16 am

And the response to the “Walt would never do this…” is that OF COURSE he would have. He got sponsors in all the time. And usually high quality ones (although the Nescafe has really sucked for years. Glad they are leaving). Things change all the time people. Deal. And thanks for the evidence on the pricing. Not as bad as I had feared.

james November 11, 2012 at 11:19 am

this article was VERY well done. I couldn’t agree more. The outside will not change and the inside needs to. Win win.

Farside99 November 11, 2012 at 11:41 am

I hope Disney steps up the trolling level with a macdonalds in fantasyland

Ayla November 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Totally agree. I’m finding all the melodrama and hysterics quite amusing, though.

Kevin Crossman November 11, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Another sane voice of reason, along with your bro Tom Bricker. Thanks for focusing the spotlight on all the issues.

haven_alise1997 November 11, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Totally love that Starbucks is coming as I like a little coffee with all
my sugar and syrup ;) and if they serve their food items too my daughter
will eat some breakfast finally.

pfalcioni November 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Farside, McDonalds fries were available in Disneyland for many years, and Fairfax Fare in Hollywood Studios used to serve McDonalds fries. So unfortunately, your window for whining about MickeyD’s taking over Mickey’s house closed years ago.

Grumpy November 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I don’t get the ‘Starbucks is an evil corporation” bit. Do they think that Disney is some sort of non-profit co-op?

Somebody call a waaaaambulance to haul off these whiners so the rest of us can get a decent cup of coffee.

Jen November 11, 2012 at 1:40 pm

So I am ambivalent about the Starbucks…I don’t mind the coffee but I will mourn the end of the cinnamon bun as I know it. I haven’t tried the one at Gaston’s but it sounds like it might not be the same. I can deal with everything else…..oh….except that Splash Mountain will be closed during my next trip. That’s the worst.

Mike November 11, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Not particularly happy seeing a late 20th century type business in a themed area that is supposed to be old 20th century downtown USA. But as long as I can get my cinnamon roll that’s the size of a small child’s head for $4 that will keep me and my wife twitching from sugar overload the first couple hours in the park… then I can deal with it :)

Mike November 11, 2012 at 1:49 pm

oh and my real only care of this is that a bakery is being replaced with a coffee shop. While yeah you can get baked goods elsewhere, there’s something different about an entire store smelling like fresh baked goods. Having them carted over from a central bakery is no where close to the same

Jill Marie November 11, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I’m happy about this. I don’t get the people who are freaking out about it.

Shannon November 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm

If I was putting together a “Best of easyWDW,” this would be included. Well done.

Anonymous November 11, 2012 at 2:45 pm

THANK YOU. Thanks for being the voice of reason.

And yay for having a reason to soon NOT bring SB Via with me into the parks!

pfalcioni November 11, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Mike, what business in Main Street actually is selling the kinds of things that would have been sold on Main Street USA at some point in the late 1800′s? It’s already mostly just tee shirts and Mickey plush, how is this any different?

Coffee houses are very historic, they were a place where people would get together and discuss politics, life, and just socialize. Sort of like what the local coffee shop aspires to today.

Adge November 11, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I must admit I was concerned about what would happen to my beloved Main Street Bakery, but Josh has removed what fears I had. After reading Josh’s blog, I believe Starbucks will be beautifully integrated into Main St & Also Future World. I am now looking forward to the new Starbucks, now if only the resorts would get Starbucks in them.