Key to the World Card Phase Out Continues at All-Star Resorts

by josh on December 2, 2013

As originally reported back in October, Disney continues phasing out Key to the World card media at its resorts. Pop Century was the first resort to go MagicBand only on November 14th. Beginning with arrivals today (December 2nd), All-Star Sports will be MagicBand only. Beginning December 4th, All-Star Music will be MagicBand only. Beginning December 6th, All-Star Movies will be MagicBand only. If guests do not customize and order MagicBands in advance, grey MagicBands will be provided at check-in. You may or may not have success requesting Key to the World cards at check-in. The cards that are issued do not work in legacy FASTPASS machines.

Old room-only Key to the World cards remain working at legacy FASTPASS machines. Annual Passes also continue pulling legacy FASTPASSes. Expect other resorts to follow suit sooner rather than later. Key to the World cards issued at other resorts should continue to work at legacy FASTPASS machines for the time being, but they will be phasing those out as well.

Bill M December 2, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Thanks for the tip on using old KTTW cards. We were there last week and used a pile of old cards and they all worked all week at every park. Probably our last, best trip for passes.

Dorothy December 2, 2013 at 3:25 pm

If they no longer issue KTTW cards, and MagicBands are still in “testing”, am I correct that you no longer have a back-up to unlock your room if the MB doesn’t work (as happened to us last month)?

Vickie December 2, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Not happy about this. Coming back jan.26th. Got back nov.21st, had key to world cards from all star music that worked in fast pass machines . Will be at music again. Hope my old cards work, they did in nov. Thanks for info josh!!

Dawn H December 2, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I have new unused hopper cards, one day. If I have already put them onto MDE to link to my MB, will I be able to use the actual cards to pull Legacy FP? and does anyone know if old NE tickets (used up except for waterparks) work in the FP machines?

mike December 2, 2013 at 5:55 pm

so glad to hear annual passes will still work when we get there this saturday so looking forward to this trip first ride will be the new test track wasnt able to go on last november 2012

Rowan December 2, 2013 at 6:02 pm

If you have linked plastic tickets bought elsewhere to MDE, can you still use the actual tickets to pull paper FPs?

Dawn H December 2, 2013 at 6:13 pm

@Rowen…hey! that was my question! LOL..

carrie December 2, 2013 at 7:36 pm

They gave us a couple days notice before they changed the policy at the Pop. But this time no notice at all for those arriving at All Star Sports. This bothers me as those who wish to change resorts last minute will not have a chance to do so. Maybe that is what they are going for. But it sucks we don’t have a chance to react at all. This is from a worried guest who changed from Pop to AoA for Jan 2. I knew there was a good chance it could change before then, but thought I would have a couple days to move resorts again if I wanted.

I feel bad saying this, but I can’t wait to go back to DL and not have to deal with this FP+ fiasco.

Katie G December 2, 2013 at 7:58 pm

What about a KTTW that was for a room only reservation, but had an UndercoverTourist Tickets linked to it by the front desk at a resort?

Olga December 2, 2013 at 8:31 pm

@Dawn and @ Rowan – in October our paper UT tickets linked with MDE still worked in the old FP machines. Of cours this is subject to change at any moment…

Tom December 3, 2013 at 7:13 am

@Dorothy – Last year we stayed at AOA and they had RFID KTTW cards for room keys. One of the cards did not work to open our room and they had to fix it. A KTTW card using RFID can have the same issue that you had with your Magic Band.

Mr. Fredricksen December 3, 2013 at 9:52 am

I still love how the testing of Magic Bands started with the deluxe resorts, and the testing of the removal of the KTTK cards starts with the Value resorts.

Dawn H December 3, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Thanks Olga

Chicago Mama December 3, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Am I understanding this correctly? My KTTW cards from January 2013 will work in the legacy FP machines in January 2014? They were combined room keys and park tickets (obviously the park tickets were all used).

Valerie December 4, 2013 at 12:24 pm

@Chicago Mama
I believe that your KTTW cards will only still work to pull legacy FP if they were “room only” keys… with nothing else attached. I could be wrong but that’s what I get from all the posts I’ve read. Again, I could be mistaken.
We leave in 30 days for the World, and just in case, I’m taking our old KTTW cards.
Good Luck, I hope it works for you.

Nick December 5, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Could somebody pls explain how old KTTW cards from a previous visit are still usable for a future visit in legacy FP machines?