Thread: Sony rx100 test

Sony rx100 test

So is this the most amazing compact point and shoot ever...
    Ill take it to Disney in a few weeks, but just playing around with some test shots.

Yeah, that's a sweet cam.

That's pretty good for a P&S.
    Craig

flickr

I like the light bursts in this one.

Ignore me.. I'm just testing a different photo sharing site..

My husband just got this camera for me yesterday for an anniversary gift, I love it!

I'm in the market for a new point and shoot. Is this one small? Does it freeze action or have a delay.

My Dad's been looking for a P&S to replace his Kodak PoS. He just splurged on a Canon DSLR, but now wants something smaller. I'll point him in this direction, thanks for sharing!
    Tanya

Medals received : 2008 WDW Half ~ 2010 Princess Half + 2010 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 2011 WDW Full ~ 2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 2013 Half + Full = GOOFY Challenge ~ 2013 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 2014 January Marathon Volunteer

Medals pending : 2014 TOT 10 miler, 2015 Dopey Challenge, 2017 January Half w/daughter, 2018 Glass Slipper Challenge, 2018 Tinkerbell Half, ?? Avengers Half

Quote Originally Posted by featherface View Post
    I'm in the market for a new point and shoot. Is this one small? Does it freeze action or have a delay.
    It's about the same size as any other point & shoot, can fit in a pocket. It's a bit heavier than other point & shoots I've seen though.

The response time is VERY fast. Much better than other point & shoots, nearly as fast as many DSLRs. Just make sure you get a high quality memory card, that can record the pictures quickly.

The downsides I've noticed:
    -It's expensive
    -Takes a bit of getting used to the controls if you really want to get the most use out of it. Not bad once you get used to it though. And the fully automatic mode takes great shots as well.
    -Some people will be put off by the lack of amazing optical zoom. The zoom equivalent is about the same as a standard DSLR lens that comes included in camera kits. That's the trade off for being able to get an amazing quality lens, is the lack of huge optical zoom. But there is an easy work-around for this-- With 20 megapixels, you can do a huge amount of cropping and maintain quality. So with 2 seconds of post-processing, you can effectively zoom, retroactively.

Here is an example:

Pretty clear picture, could use some enhancement, but pretty clear:

IMG_0015 by Havoc315, on Flickr

But look at the extreme degree to which is was zoomed, through cropping:

IMG_0015 by Havoc315, on Flickr

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    Sony has really stepped up their game lately. That Zeiss lens is super-sweet.

Although not in the same price range, I love the DSC-HX20V that I got. It's also much heavier than my old Panasonic super zoom, but about the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by pfalcioni View Post
    Sony has really stepped up their game lately. That Zeiss lens is super-sweet.

Although not in the same price range, I love the DSC-HX20V that I got.
    I think you're looking at alot of the same advantages with the HX20V, a lot of the same high quality in camera modes and in-camera processing. Have you played with the panorama sweep mode? Do you find the anti-blur mode effective for low light?
    The big differences -- You have a better optical zoom than the RX100. Your lens isn't quite the same high quality. You have a smaller sensor.

I LOVE the panorama sweep, I had such a fun time with it at the National MX race we went to a few weekends ago. It's just a fun farkle, and with a little more practice I think I can get some amazing results. This one is "almost but not quite":

The anti-blur in low light I haven't played with as much, but did have some great results in a very low light shop with moving people last weekend (the only light in the shop is coming in from those big doors and some other skylights) - it doesn't look like it here, but the two people on the left were actually just walking by and paused for a millisecond:

Oh, and does the RX100 have the HDR option? I initially didn't like the results I was getting with it, but used in the correct context it's yielded some really nice shots that look good without any post-processing. Really weird to feel and hear the camera clicking 4 times in extremely fast succession when you hit the button.

The picture of the multiple units on the lake, is HDR. So yes the RX100 has it. I have played with HDR in post processing on my older dSLR. I love doing it in camera, and I can certainly tell the difference. Its really for scenery shots, when you want detail in the shaded/darkened areas. The autoHDR setting seems to work nicely, but if you want a more pronounced effect, crank it up manually.

The automated quick clicking is really odd, when I have the camera in full auto mode, and it decides to do multiple clicks on its own. It's like, "what the h__ is going on??"

Well, despite the lack of zoom, I ordered the rx100 last night. I'm going to Alaska in a couple of weeks and I'll give this puppy a good work out. If I find that the lack of zoom is something that I can't live with, I can return it and get the camera (for half the price) that I had my eye on originally. Now I just have to hope that my order comes through ok!
    (Just) Karen

Oh, Karen, how fun! Where in Alaska? A cruise?

Oh, Karen, how fun! Where in Alaska? A cruise?
    Yes. Disney came out with some great Travel Agent Appreciation rates and so my mom and I are going on the Wonder. We depart from Seattle, go up to Alaska and arrive in Vancouver, BC. Should be a great week! I'm excited!
    (Just) Karen

Oooh, can't wait to see pics, especially with the new camera! You'll be doing a trip report, right??

I'm gonna try. LOL At bare minimum, I can definitely post pics.
    (Just) Karen

Trip report or it never happened.

Trip report or it never happened.
    (Just) Karen

For zoom, try turning on the "clear zoom" feature. While its not true optical zoom, my results have been far superior to regular digital zoom. And it gives you approximately 7x zoom.

DSC00523 by Havoc315, on Flickr

Hdr test image

DSC00570 by Havoc315, on Flickr

Handheld twilight test image.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc315 View Post
    For zoom, try turning on the "clear zoom" feature. While its not true optical zoom, my results have been far superior to regular digital zoom. And it gives you approximately 7x zoom.
    Thanks for the tip! I was reading about the "clear zoom" in some reviews and wondered if it was really any good.
    (Just) Karen