Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Incredible Chase Sapphire Reserve Introductory Promotion

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    BTW I found Disneyland Paris park tickets for this July through the travel portal for 4800 points (1 Day/1 Park) or 6100 points (1 Day/2 Parks). The Disneyland Paris hotels were listed but threw an error when I tried to book.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcachofa View Post
    Dang. I was gearing up to do this, but now the promotion is only for 50,000 miles. Other cards are offering 50K, for a lower (net) annual fee, but the perks are different. Will have to investigate some more.
    Remember, with the Reserve Card, you get a 50% bonus when booking travel through he Ultimate Rewards site, so even 50,000 miles is worth $750. Not as good as 100,000/$1,5000, but still....
    Last edited by George; 05-09-2017 at 06:39 PM.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Sorry, a bit late to the party...is this still a 'good deal' for those who are just signing up now (or is there a better one out there at this point)? The terms aren't quite as good at this point as they were when the thread was started - just wondering whether anyone has come across a better promo lately - TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kbcmom View Post
    Sorry, a bit late to the party...is this still a 'good deal' for those who are just signing up now (or is there a better one out there at this point)? The terms aren't quite as good at this point as they were when the thread was started - just wondering whether anyone has come across a better promo lately - TIA.
    As I wrote above:

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Remember, with the Reserve Card, you get a 50% bonus when booking travel through he Ultimate Rewards site, so even 50,000 miles is worth $750. Not as good as 100,000/$1,5000, but still....
    So yeah, in addition to the other perks, you're getting $750 worth of travel when you book through the CUR site.

And don't forget the $600 in travel credits during your first year ($300 per calendar year).

Stupid Judy.

Sold - thanks George!

Another perk of booking air travel using CUR points: no fees. This is a big deal if you book international flights. With those, booking award travel through an airline will get you a free ticket, but you're still responsible for taxes and fuel surcharges, which could add hundreds of dollars to that "free" ticket. Not so with flights booked through CUR with CUR points. And even with domestic flights, you'll save at least that $5.60 TSA surcharge levied on airline award travel.

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kbcmom View Post
    If you qualify (have any type of small business) the Chase Ink Business Preffered has a sign up bonus of 80,000 UR points right now. The regular Sapphire has 50,000 as well and the annual fee is waived the first year. 5000 more UR if add an authorized user.
    Kim

We have the Disney Visa, but it has now been hacked for the 4th time in about 3 years. Since it was our only card we decided it was time to get another card as well. We picked the Capital One Venture card. Normally there is a 40,000 bonus are spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, but we got a promotion of 50,000 instead. That is worth $500 in travel rewards. Annual fee is $59 a year with the first year waived. Everything, is worth 2 point per dollar, no exceptions. Points never expire. The only issue is we aren't 100% sure if we can use it for Disney. The points can be used for pretty much any travel, airfare, hotel, cruises, rental cars, even taxis. But when we book Disney, we book through them, pay them, and get a package. There is a chance that the category it comes through as might not be in travel. We will have to call first (assuming we have so many points that the airfare and rental car are already covered and then we want to use the rest on Disney)
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

I'm maybe booking plane tickets soon that will cost $500-550. I can use the about 35,000 of the 100k Chase points I got from this deal, or the $300 travel Credit also from this card, plus $150 in Delta gift certificates I bought with unused Amex air incidental credits. Either way I pay $0 OOP. Do I care which one? I cannot think of a reason to prioritize one over the other. The $300 credit expires at year end but i I don't use it on this trip I will have no trouble using it by year end on other travel that is easily 98% definite so that is not a concern.

ETA: I just realized my math error. The $300 credit plus gift certificates leaves me $50-100 out of pocket, but I'm fine with that. So the question still stands.
    Last edited by mgarbowski; 05-11-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas/New Years CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo

Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    I'm maybe booking plane tickets soon that will cost $500-550. I can use the about 35,000 of the 100k Chase points I got from this deal, or the $300 travel Credit also from this card, plus $150 in Delta gift certificates I bought with unused Amex air incidental credits. Either way I pay $0 OOP. Do I care which one? I cannot think of a reason to prioritize one over the other. The $300 credit expires at year end but i I don't use it on this trip I will have no trouble using it by year end on other travel that is easily 98% definite so that is not a concern.

ETA: I just realized my math error. The $300 credit plus gift certificates leaves me $50-100 out of pocket, but I'm fine with that. So the question still stands.
    Anything that expires, I would use first, no matter how definite my future plans might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcachofa View Post
    Anything that expires, I would use first, no matter how definite my future plans might be.
    I agree. Use up your perk first and get that statement credit!

I tend to be miserly when spending CUR points, saving them for a family day. I just purchased a $337 ticket in American. American wanted 60,000 Aadvantage miles, but I used only 22,600 CUR points. I love that 50% bonus. And we still have 1.25MM points in our CUR account.

Stupid Judy.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Getting close to our one-year anniversary on this (impending $450 annual fee) and considering downgrading to the Ultimate Freedom (no annual fee). Kind of on the fence about this. Seems like downgrading from Reserve to Platinum doesn't make financial sense for us, but dropping all the way down to Freedom might. We've already gotten 2x $300 travel credit, 100,000 points and TSA PreCheck. Reupping for $450 would get us another $300 travel credit for CY 2018 netting the annual fee down to $150. So I guess I need to calculate whether the benefits of the Reserve are > $150/year better than the Ultimate Freedom.

Any additional insight or things to consider?
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

For earning, the Reserve or the Preferred are best for dining and travel, so if you do a lot of either, it's the card to have. I'd downgrade to the Preferred if you don't want to pay the annual fee. Still, keeping one Reserve is good because it's the only one which gives primary coverage on rental cars; all others, if they offer coverage, go through your insurance first. You did both get a Reserve, didn't you? ;)

The Freedom is a good card to have, regardless. CUR points earned there can be transferred to the Sapphire Reserve, which yield the 50% bonus. We have the basic Freedom because we like the quarterly bonus categories, but then we always transfer CUR points to the Reserve accounts for the bonus. That bonus is not to be underestimated.

Another thought: depending on current promos, you might want to downgrade the Reserve to the Freedom and then re-apply for a new one Reserve for the extra $300 credit as well as the sign-up bonus. Just make sure to transfer your CUR points to the Freedom, and verify that you can do this so soon after downgrading. The $600 in travel credits will pay for the annual fee, you'll have primary insurance on car rentals, and the 50% bonus for all CUR points, including the sign-up bonus which, I think, is 50,000 points ($750 in travel!) now.

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    Getting close to our one-year anniversary on this (impending $450 annual fee) and considering downgrading to the Ultimate Freedom (no annual fee). Kind of on the fence about this. Seems like downgrading from Reserve to Platinum doesn't make financial sense for us, but dropping all the way down to Freedom might. We've already gotten 2x $300 travel credit, 100,000 points and TSA PreCheck. Reupping for $450 would get us another $300 travel credit for CY 2018 netting the annual fee down to $150. So I guess I need to calculate whether the benefits of the Reserve are > $150/year better than the Ultimate Freedom.

Any additional insight or things to consider?
    I saw this today and it might help: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/keep-...e-reserve/amp/

I think rather or not you keep it depends on what other cards you have. If I were to downgrade I would get the Freedom for the bonus categories (as long as you are someone that doesn't mind the switching quarter to quarter). I am keeping the Reserve just for the car insurance benefit. With the travel credit I look at it as a $195 annual fee.

For earning, the Reserve or the Preferred are best for dining and travel, so if you do a lot of either, it's the card to have. I'd downgrade to the Preferred if you don't want to pay the annual fee. Still, keeping one Reserve is good because it's the only one which gives primary coverage on rental cars; all others, if they offer coverage, go through your insurance first. You did both get a Reserve, didn't you? ;)

The Freedom is a good card to have, regardless. CUR points earned there can be transferred to the Sapphire Reserve, which yield the 50% bonus. We have the basic Freedom because we like the quarterly bonus categories, but then we always transfer CUR points to the Reserve accounts for the bonus. That bonus is not to be underestimated.

Another thought: depending on current promos, you might want to downgrade the Reserve to the Freedom and then re-apply for a new one Reserve for the extra $300 credit as well as the sign-up bonus. Just make sure to transfer your CUR points to the Freedom, and verify that you can do this so soon after downgrading. The $600 in travel credits will pay for the annual fee, you'll have primary insurance on car rentals, and the 50% bonus for all CUR points, including the sign-up bonus which, I think, is 50,000 points ($750 in travel!) now.
    Being successful as George suggests above would depend on where you are with Chase's 5/24 rule. And I think you have to wait two years before you get a bonus on a Chase card again. Close account, wait 2 years, then get new card and new bonus.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post

Being successful as George suggests above would depend on where you are with Chase's 5/24 rule. And I think you have to wait two years before you get a bonus on a Chase card again. Close account, wait 2 years, then get new card and new bonus.
    I think you're right about not getting another bonus.

I'm not sure, however, if one would be excluded from bonuses from other Chase brands.
    Last edited by George; 07-25-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Stupid Judy.

I'm not sure, however, if one would be excluded from bonuses from other Chase brands.
    I don't think it excludes you for other chase card bonuses for 2 years. I was looking at the southwest chase card and it only stipulates (grrrr autocorrect) no chase southwest miles signup bonus in the last 2 years. My husband did the saphire reserve sign up January and is thinking of re-signing up for southwest.

Speaking of southwest, does anyone know if the 60,000 mile bonus was extended. I could still google the higher mileage signup page but didn't go any further.
    Last edited by Anne; 07-25-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I don't think it excludes you for other chase card bonuses for 2 years. I was looking at the southwest chase card and it only stimulates no chase southwest miles signup bonus in the last 2 years. My husband did the saphire reserve sign up January and is thinking of re-signing up for southwest.

Speaking of southwest, does anyone know if the 60,000 mile bonus was extended. I could still google the higher mileage signup page but didn't go any further.
    If you cancel a card and then wait 2 years and sign up for it and get approved you can get the bonus again. I.e. I had the Chase Southwest Visa a couple of years ago, cancelled it after a year, and now could get it again if I wanted too (and get the bonus). I just meant a bonus again on the SAME card, i.e. Reserve again after cancel, wait two years, get again. My response was poorly worded. If you downgrade the Reserve to the Freedom or FU you won't get the sign up bonus, but the bonus on those two cards isn't that great anyway. As long as you are not above the 5/24 and have good credit you can get multiple Chase bonuses within a short timeframe. I got the Reserve bonus and the Freedom bonus within a month last September.

I am pretty sure the sign up bonus on the Southwest expired. I didn't follow that closely though since not interested.
    Kim