Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pandas At The Poly (September 28 - October 4, 2011)

no longer forgets her undies MaddiesMom's Avatar

Pandas At The Poly (September 28 - October 4, 2011)

So, I'm one of "those people". I always start a trip report, but I never finish the silly thing. To that I say ... NO MORE!

This is about my quasi-crazy family and our 2011 trip to Disney. Here we are ...

This is my husband and I. In case you were curious, he's the one with the moustache / goatee. My name is Hilary, and I'm a thirty-something Disney junkie. I'm also impatient, slightly OCD, and what one would call "a planner". My husband, Brad, is my polar opposite. He's very "type B", laid back, and go-with-the-flow-ey. He is lovingly referred to as "The Sad Panda", or just Panda. By proxy, I am now Mommy Panda. I've been to Disney a billion times (OK, about ten), and he hasn't been since he was about 12. He can't comprehend why I'm all "ZOMG WE NEED TO PLAN". Silly boy.

This is my stepdaughter, Jasmine. My husband is 100% custodial, and has been for the vast majority of Jasmine's life (her mother left when she was about a year and a half old). I came into Jasmine's life about two weeks prior to her fifth birthday. We've had some tough times adjusting to the whole blended family thing, but now we understand things (and each other) a lot better. Her recent diagnosis of Asperger's (high-functioning Autism), moderate binaural hearing loss, and ADD Inattentive Type has really explained a lot of her behaviors and actions. She and I are pretty tight now, and that's a good thing. This is her first trip to Disney. And by proxy, she is Panda Junior. Jasmine likes playing computer games, hanging out with The Kitteh Committeh (our cats), reading (she reads at a ninth grade level), and texting on her cell phone like it's going out of style.

And last but not least ... this is my daughter Madison (Maddie for short). She's the "Maddie" in "MaddiesMom". I share custody of her with my ex. He's pretty cool about her taking a week off of school to go to Disney ... we agree that travel and family time is important. She's momma made over (obviously). She shares my Disney obsession ... in fact, she helps me put together touring plans and other things for my clients. She's in the gifted program at school by way of her IQ, and loves logic puzzles and other things. This is her third trip to Disney. She loves all of the thrill rides (especially Space Mountain), and is obsessed with dining reservations. Of course, she is Baby Panda.

We arrive at the Polynesian on September 28th, and leave on October 4th. Glad you're joining us!
    Hilary
    NDM #305, Wife to Brad, Mom to Maddie, Bonus Mom to Jasmine, Servant To CocoPup and Tazzie, two cats, two snakes, and a rabbit.
    Cake Diva. Financial Warrior. Travel Junkie.
    Travel is my drug of choice.

Yeah I am no good at finishing trip reports either!!! I will be following yours! When I get back of course!!!! Bummed we won't get to see you this time!!! <3

makes josh ride in the passenger seat Rhonda's Avatar
    You'll finish Hilary~we will all stay on ya! Maddie is really growing up!
    Rhonda (obviously)

2009~CBR
    2010~AKV
    2010~POP
    2011~POR
    2012~ASMo (mom and son trip)
    /with 2 "I won a contest" nights at POFQ!
    2012~POP
    2013~POR
    2014~ASSp

Our August 2011 Trip Report

carries her own pineapple juice RebeccaMcK's Avatar
    Hi Hilary - I'll read along. Hope you have a great trip. I arrive at the Poly on Oct 7th, so a few days after you leave. Looking forward to your report.
    2010 WDW&US ASMo 1 Day Solo US&DHS Trip Report, 2011 Poly (incl. DLR/DCA July & Dec)
    Trip Report, 2012 DLR PPier Trip Report w/bonus features, 2013 ASMo Trip Report, 2014 Oct AKL-KV, BLT & Nov ASSp WDW&US Trip Report & more.

So there aren't really panda bears at the Polynesian on these dates?

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    So there aren't really panda bears at the Polynesian on these dates?
    LOL that's why I first clicked on this report, too, thinking, "Huh? Shouldn't they be at AK or in China at WS?"
    2010 WDW&US ASMo 1 Day Solo US&DHS Trip Report, 2011 Poly (incl. DLR/DCA July & Dec)
    Trip Report, 2012 DLR PPier Trip Report w/bonus features, 2013 ASMo Trip Report, 2014 Oct AKL-KV, BLT & Nov ASSp WDW&US Trip Report & more.

What park, what day?

Subtitled: Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

We'll be staying at the Polynesian (my favorite!) in a Garden View room. We decided to go with a Garden View and the Deluxe dining plan versus a Lagoon / Theme park view and the regular dining plan. The rationale for this is because we'll be doing several dinner shows and signature-type meals.

So, back in the day ... your narrator planned out a fabulous itinerary. And then Disney decided to throw the "Fantasmic Every Night" monkey wrench into it. Awesome!

This is what our itinerary looks like, and will stay. I'm not changing it again. I mean it.

September 28 - Arrival via SWA at 10:15 AM. By the time we hit the terminal, it should be about 10:45 AM. As a special surprise for my girls, I booked a limo through Quicksilver to take us back and forth to the resort. They have no idea - I still have to figure out how to get them not to put those yellow Magical Express tags on the luggage. Mental note - come up with a story for that. Anyhow, there will be much squee-ing at MCO that morning. We'll likely hit MK that day for some atmosphere, and then finish our first night with the Luau at 8.

September 29 - Up and at 'em! Epcot FW, and DATE NIGHT for the adults to celebrate our anniversary (October 20th).

September 30 - Pre-opening breakfast at CRT, hang out for a little bit, swim and enjoy the resort, and MNSSHP that night.

October 1 - AK AM, then meeting some friends for Ohana dinner and watchng Wishes from the Poly beach.

October 2 - Late start, Epcot WS, Illuminations

October 3 - HS and Fantasmic

October 4 - Eviction Day. Chef Mickey's for breakfast, and over to the MK for some atmosphere (maybe to DTD, who knows?). We'll be picked up by Quicksilver at 1-ish for our flight home.

Next up ... Dining reservations, my unnatural obsession with Dole Whip, and my family's quest to eat every cupcake in the World.
    Hilary
    NDM #305, Wife to Brad, Mom to Maddie, Bonus Mom to Jasmine, Servant To CocoPup and Tazzie, two cats, two snakes, and a rabbit.

Leave some cupcakes for me! hehe

Your Date Night to celebrate your anniversary is my actual 10th anniversary, Sept. 29th.

Your plans sound great - looking forward to reading more. Especially the unnatural obsession with Dole Whip. By the way, can you get a Dole Whip float at the Poly, or just the soft serve ice cream itself?

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaMcK View Post
    Leave some cupcakes for me! hehe
    By the way, can you get a Dole Whip float at the Poly, or just the soft serve ice cream itself?
    Just the soft serve. However, I've been known to get some OJ or pineapple juice (yay grocery stop) and just make my own. LOL
    Hilary

That is a great idea....the pineapple juice to make your own float. I wonder if the shop in the hotel has some. I plan to buy milk there anyway for our fridge. We're not shopping anywhere outside of Disney. We're even bringing our own paper bowls, plastic spoons and cereal for most mornings in the room (also Garden View).

I didn't see any at Captain Cook's last time I was there ... but there might be in BouTiki or the snack shop upstairs.

Another option: Asking at Tambu Lounge or the pool bar for some.

I've also found that the delicious juice served at Ohana makes for some dandy floats too. LOL
    Hilary

I looked at the Captain Cook's menu, and you're right - no, they don't have any. I can check those other two places and the Tambu Lounge. If the special juice you mean is the Lapu Lapu (huge drink inside a pineapple), I must be crazy but I don't plan to get one. It has rum, and rum gives me an instant headache (as if I'm allergic or something). Maybe my mom can have one just so I can take a photo of it, lol. Whenever I'm in Hawaii or the Bahamas I have to order everything virgin because they put rum in everything (but I've only been to each of those places once so it hasn't been a big deal). If it doesn't make my luggage too heavy I guess I could put a few little cans of pineapple juice in the suitcase...I plan to bring some cans of apple juice anyway for my kiddo.

The juice is some sort of mango pineapple papaya (I think). It's tasty!

I love the lapulapu. My hubby is the same way - any kind of booze is bad. So that makes him the designated driver for life ... and I'm the designated drunk. LMAO
    Hilary

Designated Drunk, LOL. I'm okay with some booze but I'm a lightweight. The rum "allergy" means I can have a margarita as opposed to a dacquiri (spelling?) since it has tequila rather than rum. And I don't like those too strong either. If I order a watermelon, mango or raspberry frozen margarita I want to taste the fruit flavor in it. Hubby only drinks beer or a Long Island Iced Tea sometimes. If the juice you described is what they serve at 'Ohana's breakfast we'll get to try it. We're having breakfast there our first morning. STILL have not had luck getting a dinner booked at 'Ohana for any of the nights I've tried online. I know it's a popular place.

Your girls are beautiful! Sounds like a great plan. Can't wait to read all about it. Some time you need to try breakfast at Ohana if you haven't yet since you like staying at the Poly so much. Love that character meal!
    Lori

WDW: 72, May 93, June 98, June 01, Aug 01, July 02, Oct 02, June 03, July 04, June 05, July 06, Sept 06, Dec 06, July 07, July 09, July 10. Coming soon: Dec 11, May 12

DL: 97, 00

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    I'm in!!!
    Jill & DD - Hannah (14)

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017: SeaWorld, Discovery Cove & 1 day at Magic Kingdom

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20

Om nom nom.
    Subtitled: Feed me, Seymour!

I firmly subscribe to the theory that food is, indeed, its own theme park. When we plan our vacations, I give a great deal of thought. My family has very adventurous palates - even my kids!

So, we are Deluxe Dining Plan peeps. We like the flexibility that the plan offers, and we're willing to pay a bit more up-front for the security of knowing that our food and snacks are covered while we're there. Making sure we have enough money for food is always a big stressor for me, and the Deluxe plan takes that right out of the equation.

Here are our ADRs.

Arrival day: 9/28 - MK for "atmosphere" and so my SD can see the castle for the first time.
    CS on arrival
    Luau at 8 PM

9/29: Epcot FW
    Captain Cook's breakfast
    RD Epcot FW
    Coral Reef 2 PM
    Narcoossee's for Panda and I - kids to Neverland Club. Whee, date night!

9/30: MK and MNSSHP
    CRT pre-opening breakfast
    Crystal Palace 4:50 PM
    MNSSHP

10/1: AK
    Captain Cook's breakfast
    Lunch: where ever it hits us
    Dinner: Ohana with my friend Theresa and her family. Yay!

10/2: Epcot WS
    Eat around the world (food and wine festival)
    Dinner: Rose and Crown, 6:45 PM.

10/3: HS
    CS (likely Starring Rolls) breakfast
    F! DP lunch at Brown Derby at 1-ish

10/4: eviction day. :(
    Traditional breakfast at Chef Mickey's
    Traditional lunch at Casey's Corner
    Hilary

You're making me hungry. Good thing I'm sitting here eating lunch while reading. And I finally got dinner booked at 'Ohana for when we're there, yay! We'll be there on the 12th. Looking forward to more.

Your trip sounds like it is going to be so much fun! I'm ready to read more.

selling josh for fastpasses Jenny's Avatar
    Sounds like a great trip! Keep going...lol

It's the final countdown ...

So here we are, a week out. I am currently earning my MBA, and I just finished my Economics class. Seriously, I have just been in a total fog for the past six weeks. I keep saying that my brain hurts. However, I'm done with this class now. I don't have to go back to school till after the first of the year, and I am officially halfway done!

In my economic-equilibrium-induced haze, I started a Disney Box. You know, the plastic tote that you put in the middle of your living room, and throw random stuff into it to take to Disney? That one. I don't know how I managed to do this, but I only need to purchase a box of Children's Bonine (I have motion sickness on some rides, and the children's formula takes just enough of the edge off of the ick for me to keep going) and I have everything I need. Seriously, this is a miracle.

I have all of the transfers I need to make my shirts, and the t-shirt blanks washed and ready to go. I got my tie-dyed shirts from Cassi at One Great Thing and they are AWESOME. Even the crankopotomus likes his.

The pet-sitter is coming tonight to see the Kitteh Committeh and to pick up a key.

ZOMG WE LEAVE IN A WEEK!
    Hilary

7 Days, woo hoo! And 16 now for me. Did any of your plans change with the new October hours? Mine will remain the same.

My plans only changed by flipflopping my HS and EP WS day. I was able to work around the issue, but it's all good. :)
    Hilary

So ... yeah.

My husband has pneumonia. Luckily, we caught it early. He is strung out on heavy-duty antibiotics and cough syrup that would make JaMarcus Russell jealous. The doctor said that if Brad follows the directions to take the meds on schedule and he pounds water (like, a gallon a day) ... he should be at about 50% by Monday, 75% on Tuesday, and 80-90% when we fly out on Wednesday morning.
    Hilary

Quote Originally Posted by MaddiesMom View Post
    So ... yeah.

He is strung out on heavy-duty antibiotics and cough syrup that would make JaMarcus Russell jealous.
    I'm laughing.