Thread: TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor

We are thinking about planning a trip back to Allstar Movies, we loved it before. But the wife was on tripadvisor and saw lots of reviews claiming bugs. We saw no bugs when we were there, in fact the place was super clean.

Almost every hotel review I have seen on tripadvisor has some reviewers claiming bugs. I suspect that competing hotels are bashing their competition. Any thoughts?

I dislike TripAdvisor in general. If I do use it (and I never do for Disney trips), I find its best to throw out all the ridiculously glowing reports and all the ridiculously bad reports and see where the middle is. And if there is anything in particular mentioned by a majority of people, then I might take into consideration IF that particular complaint is relevant to me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

You can read a lot of bad reviews for the Grand Floridian on trip advisor too. There is a whole segment of society that feels it is necessary to disclose there most intimate fears (like bugs or mysterious stains in hotel room closets) and the failures of others to properly recognize and address them. I wouldn't give those reviews a lot of weight overall. I think a better indication are those numbers like the percentage who would recommend staying, etc. While I've never seen bugs in our room at WDW, it is Florida. I would not be surprised to see an enormous, prehistoric cockroach come sauntering in to my room.
    Brandi

May 2011~CBR; May 2012~POR
    Feb. 2013~Windsor Hills;May 2013~Windsor Hills
    Mar. 2014~Windsor Hills; July 2014~Windsor Hills

expert on dietary needs and disney dining clanmcculloch's Avatar
    It's Florida. What hotel doesn't have bugs? Same with snakes and lizards. Of course every hotel has reviews like that. If you can't handle bugs, don't go to Florida.

If you want to read TripAdvisor I'd ignore the bottom level of reviews. Every hotel will have guests who have had problems. Every.Single.One. I'm with Vicki on how I look at online reviews regardless of the site.

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    I've done a ton of reviews on TripAdvisor and I would agree that you need to be careful how you read some of the reviews. IMHO you need to look for trends in the reviews versus taking the word of one person who may be just griping about something. Also, if I've stayed somewhere multiple times and there is something "reportable" I will do a follow-on review. For example, there's a hotel in Indy we've stayed at for about 4 or 5 years in a row. It's getting progressively worse with more and more issues each year. I've reported this. You can put together multiple reviews from separate people to find these trends. Also, be careful to note the review dates as adjacent reviews may be separated by a large timeframe.

PS - BTW, I live in Northwest Florida and we do have some giant bugs here in our state. We had a palmetto bug (what the big roaches are called) fly into the house the other day during a party. You can't avoid that happening every so often. One of our friends also caught a locust (cicada) about the size of his thumb. Our kids thought that was cool, but that bug was ugly and noisy.
    Steve
    Aug 81 CR Aug 83 CR Aug 86 CR Jul 87 offsite Jun 97 Disney Institute condo Nov 09 Day Trip MK May 10 CR Nov 10 FW/VWL Dec 10 BLT Mar 11 Poly May 11 Poly Sep 11 BLT Oct 11 SSR Dec 11 BCV Mar 12 BC May 12 BWV Oct 12 YC Dec 12 BWV Jan 13 BCV Feb 13 offsite May 13 BWV Sep 13 BWV Oct 13 Swan Dec 13 WBC Mar 14 BWV May 14 WBC Sep 14 BWI Oct 14 Pop Dec 14 tbd

Just bugs in general? Good luck with the lovebugs when they're in season. For whatever reason they tend to congregate in the Animal Kingdom theme park/resort area, particularly Coronado Springs. Not sure why. But they're harmless.

If you loved it before, then I would just go with that. Personally, I'd rate your own personal experiences with the resort over other reviews on the internet.

I love All Star Movies, too, and we didn't have any issues with bugs, and reports wouldn't keep me from going back there! :)
    Read my 2012 trip report here or on my blog.
    ~* My 2014 trip report is
    here *

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    The only online reviews I really trust are from places like Priceline that only accept reviews from people who they know stayed at the place in question. To me, TripAdvisor is sort of like the DisBoards of the general travel world, sure you'll find more information about even the most random travel questions, but because of the size and lack of any kind of real fact-checking, it also chums in the crazies.

When I do look at TripAdvisor reviews, I throw out all the 5-star and all the 1-star and read the rest. I also ignore reviews by people who have only that single review to their name. If what's left still indicates some issues with the property in question, I'll believe there are some issues.

And anyway, you have your own personal experience with this particular resort, which was good, so why not go with that rather than the advice of some random strangers on the internet? Oh wait, that means you'd be taking my advice, and I'm another random stranger on the internet. Well, that is a conundrum!

We noticed quite a few lady bugs in February staying at Pop. But the wife said the reports she saw on TripAdvisor was regarding roaches.

I like the tip about priceline, it does make a lot of sense to only accept reviews from people you know stayed there.

Would requesting a room on a higher floor help? At college in Boston the roaches all congregated in the basement LOL

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    I avoid reviews from people who need to preface their comments with "I've stayed in the best places and..," or "I'm a travel agent and...."

I tend to trust good and bad reviews from New Yorkers.

Most Brits think every US hotel room is HUGE. They're not to be trusted.

Not that I'd ever stereotype.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Stupid Judy.

^ LOL. I just bumped into a Brit here today at Mara (AKL), who managed to throw in a comment about the rooms. After our overnight at a suite-chain hotel on the way here, the AKL rooms feel small.
    Abby - I have kids.

Had a rather long stay at ASMusic in April-May (18 days), and in that whole time I saw only one bug in the room - one cockroach. Given that I was on the ground floor, with a HUGE expanse of grass separated from my room door by just the width of the sidewalk outside the rooms, that isn't too bad. There were no ants or bugs of any kind, just one lonely roach.

Agreed, my trip would have been more "magical" without it, but in the scheme of things, eh...

The kids and I joked it was "extra wildlife" - in the lawns in ASMu, there were rabbits and squirrels (or chipmunks - I can never tell the difference) and a few armadillos... we loved spotting critters on the way to and from the room.

So might you find an errant bug? Yeah. Infestation? Probably not...

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Good luck with the lovebugs when they're in season....But they're harmless.
    Unless you're the paint job on a car. Besides, they STINK!