Thread: Question about Rider Swap/FastPass - is this legit?

Question about Rider Swap/FastPass - is this legit?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could tell me if this would be legit in terms of riding Soarin' and Test Track without a lot of wait or without risk of our FastPass return times being too far out. Our trip is mid-September and we are going to Epcot on a day where Josh puts it as "Recommended". I know crowd levels should be low, so maybe all this is a moot point, but I wanted to run it by you just in case...

OK, so picture this: Epcot opening: DH and DS (age 5.5) grab FastPass for Test Track while me and DD (age 3.5) grab FastPass for Soarin'.

DD will have zero interest in riding Test Track because it will be too fast/scary for her, so I thought DH and DS could ride it during the FP return time, and also grab a rider swap ticket (with me and DD present while they grab rider swap) so I can ride it with DS later. Then, over on Soarin' DH and DS would ride the ride during FP return time and grab a rider swap ticket (again, I'd be present with DD), and then I would ride it with DD using that rider swap. Does that work? Or do you have to use the same kid to ride the ride again?

Just wondering, since Test Track and Soarin' seem to be kind of far apart form each other, and I don't want to push FP return times out too far since we will be taking mid-day breaks from the parks to relax.

Would this approach be frowned upon? Or is it legitimate? DD will be right at height requirements for Test Track and Soarin', but would be too scared to ride Test Track. To clarify, my fear is that if we grab FP for Soarin' then have to race over to ride Test Track (or vice versa) as a group, we'd have to wait forever, and with two smaller kids, I'm trying to strategize how to minimize waits.

Thanks, and I hope this makes sense!

You can only get a rider swap pass if you have someone in your party who doesn't meet the height requirement. It's not for little ones who don't want to ride--it's for little ones who can't.

One problem you might run into is whether or not the CM collects the FP in order to give you the rider swap pass. If this is the case, you and DH and DS will need a FP to ride, exchanging one of the FP for the swap pass. Last week the CM at Soarin' took DW's FP for a swap pass, so it was good that we all collected them. However, at BTMRR, they did not collect the FP, so I rode with the FP, DW rode with her FP, and then later in the day, we were able to ride again with the swap pass (which was tres awesome to do it x3). A similar situation happened at Spalsh Mtn. Make sense?

Regardless of the way you obtain it once you have the rider swap pass you don't have to present the kid again; just go through the FP return line with the swap pass.

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Define "legit"... If DD is pretty close to the height requirement and is in a stroller, the CMs aren't going to make her get out and measure her to ensure you can get a swap. At least we've never experienced that (our DD4 finally made height on our May trip). Also at Soarin, you don't need to have the too-small kid present because you just tell the CMs at the desk that the too-small child is outside in a stroller which aren't allowed into The Land pavillion. They'll just give you the swap. So based on that, you need to determine what's "legit" for you, if you know what I mean. BTW, it probably depends on the CM but some will give out swaps for kids who are scared, not just those too small, especially if it's a really young kid. YMMV though.
    Steve
    Aug 81 CR Aug 83 CR Aug 86 CR Jul 87 offsite Jun 97 Disney Institute condo Nov 09 Day Trip MK May 10 CR Nov 10 FW/VWL Dec 10 BLT Mar 11 Poly May 11 Poly Sep 11 BLT Oct 11 SSR Dec 11 BCV Mar 12 BC May 12 BWV Oct 12 YC Dec 12 BWV Jan 13 BCV Feb 13 offsite May 13 BWV Sep 13 BWV Oct 13 Swan Dec 13 WBC Mar 14 BWV May 14 WBC Sep 14 BWI Oct 14 Pop Dec 14 tbd

OK, thanks! I don't want to cheat the system - just wasn't sure if it was the right way to use a rider swap, since there seem to be the official rules, but then I hear about other people who have been able to get a rider swap if a kid is too scared to ride (rather than being too small).

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    One problem you might run into is whether or not the CM collects the FP in order to give you the rider swap pass.
    We've been to WDW over a dozen times in the past three years with kids now 6 and 4 and literally have used over 100 rider swaps. We have never had a CM collect a FP from us to get a swap. Additionally, you can get rider swaps in conjunction with riding standby, so there would be no FP to collect. Unless they've really clamped down since our trip this past May, you probably won't encounter the FP-collection-for-a-swap situation very often, if ever.
    Steve
    Aug 81 CR Aug 83 CR Aug 86 CR Jul 87 offsite Jun 97 Disney Institute condo Nov 09 Day Trip MK May 10 CR Nov 10 FW/VWL Dec 10 BLT Mar 11 Poly May 11 Poly Sep 11 BLT Oct 11 SSR Dec 11 BCV Mar 12 BC May 12 BWV Oct 12 YC Dec 12 BWV Jan 13 BCV Feb 13 offsite May 13 BWV Sep 13 BWV Oct 13 Swan Dec 13 WBC Mar 14 BWV May 14 WBC Sep 14 BWI Oct 14 Pop Dec 14 tbd

he's right
    We have never had a CM collect a FP from us to get a swap.
    I have, once. So, it is possible, though it might not be likely.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I have, once. So, it is possible, though it might not be likely.

Wow, that sucks. The rider swap pass isn't related to a FP...you can get a rider swap pass even if you're riding standby.

I was told that if the original riders go on via the fast pass line, then the other parent needs to also have a fast pass to exchange for the swap. You can try what your are saying, as many say it will work, but you never know.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

Peanut butter is yummy.
    I think your biggest problem will be making sure you are back to ride each (and/or trade FP for swap) within the FP RT window.
    If you miss the RT window on one or the other- you have wasted the FP and will end up going standby or whatever.

Since DD does not want to ride TT but does want Soarin' I would just do this, seems a simpler more time efficient way of getting the 2 rides in with a whole lot less running back and forth in the am (keep in mind each ride on Soarin will take about 25 min, each on TT about 20 min- that's almost 2 hours spent on just 2 diff rides).

RD
    All go to TT- DH and DS ride standby- you get a swap for later- then you and DD go get Soarin' FP for all.
    That RT should still easily be before 11 and you can all ride Soarin' w/FP together.

You still have a swap for TT which is good all day, so DS gets 2 rides on TT.
    The only window you need to worry about is the Soarin' FP RT.
    All meet at Seas or whatever your next attraction is (9:20/9:30ish)- you should have at least an hour to fill before time to use the Soarin' FP

I guess the only if would be that DD is actually tall enough for TT and CM wants to measure her- but as Steve has said if she is in stroller and you ask for swap the CM is probably not going to make you take her out to be measured- if she is just barely at the 40" requirement I can't imagine the CM would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by off2neverland View Post

RD
    All go to TT- DH and DS ride standby- you get a swap for later- then you and DD go get Soarin' FP for all.
    That RT should still easily be before 11 and you can all ride Soarin' w/FP together.

You still have a swap for TT which is good all day, so DS gets 2 rides on TT.
    The only window you need to worry about is the Soarin' FP RT.
    All meet at Seas or whatever your next attraction is (9:20/9:30ish)- you should have at least an hour to fill before time to use the Soarin' FP

Thanks! That seems much easier! I am hoping it won't seem as stressful as it does in my head since we will be there mid-Sept.

he's right
    The rider swap pass isn't related to a FP...you can get a rider swap pass even if you're riding standby.
    Yes, and had we been entering the Standby queue, we probably would not have been asked for it. But, we were entering the FP Return queue, and this single time, we were asked for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    Yes, and had we been entering the Standby queue, we probably would not have been asked for it. But, we were entering the FP Return queue, and this single time, we were asked for it.
    Must have been the infamous Cast Member Jeff, Ruiner of Vacations. I wonder what they'd have done if you just played dumb, showed some resistance, asked for a supervisor, threatened a trip to Guest Services, etc? My guess is that they'd have given you the swap but also have given you the "but next time..." lecture.
    Steve

he's right
    No chance. Life (and vacation) is too short for me to waste part of it quibbling with someone over something so pointless.

Sayre's Law refuted! (Though, to be fair, it didn't make a difference either way.)

We have always (even at Soarin) been required to show the little one to get a swap pass. We had fun trying to convince a CM to let us take TWO sleeping boys into the pavilion in their stroller to use our fastpasses before they expired. She made us take them out and carry two sleeping kids... which was really fun once I got on the ride and DH had to walk back out to the stroller with both kids in his arms.
    We have also had them ask for all the fastpasses to get a swap pass when entering the fastpass line, but only once and it was also at Soarin'... coincidentally it was the first time we ever got one, causing us some confusion. That is once out of dozens of times doing the swaps.

I think it's kind of shady to use the swap pass to double your fastpasses when everybody can ride, but I'm sure I do things others think are shady so it's not worth judging anybody for. Why not just hire somebody in a wheelchair? (joke)
    Last edited by mistysue; 07-01-2013 at 09:03 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot and left out part of a sentence.

Peanut butter is yummy.
    AnnieG-

If you run into a cranky CM at TT who will not give you a swap for your barely tall enough DD- don't waste any energy stressing about it.

TT has singles- so either you or DH can do singles there later in day. DS won't get that 2nd ride but oh well...
    Decide ahead of time who will ride TT standby at RD with DS- the other adult gets the Soarin' FP for all- you all ride Soarin' together and the FPV adult can ride TT singles later.