Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing Magic Kingdom Cheat Sheet Day 2 - June 18

Timing Magic Kingdom Cheat Sheet Day 2 - June 18

So after freaking people out with the summertime crowds, I thought I would try to reassure by going over my Cheat Sheet touring plans to see how they do over the busy summer. For reference this is the cheat sheet as originally written http://www.easywdw.com/category/cheat-sheets/:

Ideal Two-Day Morning Plan Day 2:
    1. Ride Astro Orbiter: 9am – 9:15am
    2. Ride Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin: 9:17am – 9:25am
    3. Ride Space Mountain: 9:30am – 9:50am
    4. (Ride Tomorrowland Indy Speedway if desired)
    5. Ride The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: 9:55am – 10:10am
    6. Ride The Barnstormer: 10:15am – 10:25am
    7. Ride Dumbo The Flying Elephant: 10:27am – 10:40am
    8. (Visit Pete’s Silly Sideshow for Goofy/Donald and/or Daisy/Minnie if desired)
    9. Ride Mad Tea Party: 10:43am – 10:50am
    10. Ride Haunted Mansion: 11am – 11:20am
    11. Ride it’s a small world: 11:23am – 11:40am
    12. Have lunch.
    Columbia Harbour House and Pinocchio Village Haus are nearby. For Be
    Our Guest lunch, grab snacks and get in line at 2pm.

Afternoon and Evening: Consider another afternoon break. Visit the anytime attractions in
    Fantasyland and Tomorrowland – Mickey’s PhilharMagic, Prince Regal Carousel, Stitch’s Great
    Escape, Mosnters Inc. Laugh Floor, PeopleMover, and Carousel of Progress are all good choices.
    Crowds also diminish in the evening. If Magic Kingdom is open past 9pm, crowds will be lower
    each hour after. Return to Tomorrowland with two hours to close and Fantasyland in the last
    hour to experience much shorter waits than the afternoon.

And this is how it worked out in person. I'll have a longer post about it w/ pictures etc. but here's a head start.

1. I arrived at the TTC at 7:43am. Only resort monorail is running this early. Ferry boat and Express Monorail don't run until 830am.
    2. Arrive at bag check around 8:02am. Realize I forgot ticket (I'm really bad at this). Get it reissued and through "turnstiles" at around 8:11am. Getting through the Mickey Readers took about 30 seconds with four readers open and maybe six total people in line.
    3. Opening show started at 8:42am. Park open at 8:46am.
    4. Arrived at Tomorrowland at 8:50am. There was an internal rope that came down right as I arrived. Cast members walked guests toward Space Mountain.
    5. Rode Astro Orbiter: 853am - 900am.
    6. The line for Space Mountain looked too long to be short by the time I got off Buzz. So I FASTPASSed it with a return time of 9:55am - 10:55am
    7. Rode Buzz Lightyear: 904am - 914am
    8. Rode Winnie the Pooh: 918am - 930am
    9. Rode Barnstormer: 933am - 940am
    10. Rode Dumbo after bathroom break: 945am - 954am
    11. Rode Mad Tea Party: 956am - 1003am
    12. Rode Space Mountain with FASTPASS: 1006am - 1023am
    13. Grabbed Peter Pan's Flight FASTPASS for use after lunch. Return time of 12:05pm - 1:05pm
    14. Rode it's a small world: 10:34am - 10:55am
    15. By 1058am, Haunted Mansion lines were already 15 - 20 minutes and I wasn't in the mood to wait outside. It would best be put off for an evening return as waits tend to drop after 7pm in the summer.
    16. Had lunch at Pinocchio Village Haus.

Overall things went pretty well. 8 attractions out of the way by 11am, lunch with low crowds, and a FASTPASS for Pan for use once lunch is over. You could hit a couple high capacity attractions after lunch like Liberty Square Riverboat, PeopleMover. If you're interested in Tomorrowland Speedway, I think it moves up to the first position over Astro Orbiter. Orbiter wasn't busy until around 940am giving you time to hit the other Tomorrowland priorities first. My estimation is they only had one side of Space Mountain running in the morning which was the reason for the line out the door and 20+ minute wait.

Afternoon crowds are out of control. 85 minutes at Buzz. 120 at Space. 80 at Pan. 45 at it's a small world. 60 at Mansion. 90 at Splash. Big Thunder down. It's ugly out there.
    Youth is wasted on the young.

Thanks for the update and suggestions!

Great update! if we want to skip Astro Orbitor and IaSW could we pull a FP for Space and then ride it 1st then do the rest of the plan or would that take too long and mess up the a.m. plan?
    We'd like to ride it twice. We'll be there on Sat 6/22!

5/06-1st family trip to WDW & Windsor Hills!
    11/07-2nd trip to WDW with Baby#3-it's a boy!
    5/09-3 nights at SSR & 1st Disney cruise on the Magic!
    6/10-Super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip!
    11/10-In-laws 1st trip ever! Loved Indian Creek, had a blast!
    10/11-4 Crazy Columbus week park days & 4 on the Dream.
    10/12-Had fun at F&W w/ in-laws on our trip re-do!

You could FASTPASS it and take a second ride after Dumbo or Tea Cups, yes.

Thanks for the great update and testing out the plan in the peak period!!
    MY DS6 loves cars, so I will have to go to Indy Speedway as I avoided it when we were there when he was just 2+.
    So we will miss space mountain again this time but go on to Indy (yeah... weird choice)
    We be going in early Dec, so should I stick to Indy on the 3rd place or 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    You could FASTPASS it and take a second ride after Dumbo or Tea Cups, yes.
    Great!! TY! We are going to MK today to try it!!!

6/10-Super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip!

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case vatmark's Avatar
    Thank you Josh! These walkabouts are really helpful. Thank you for sacrificing your body on Space. I hate that ride as does DH. We come off of it with headaches. But my teens like it so we do it.

Ann

Quote Originally Posted by wongck View Post
    Thanks for the great update and testing out the plan in the peak period!!
    MY DS6 loves cars, so I will have to go to Indy Speedway as I avoided it when we were there when he was just 2+.
    So we will miss space mountain again this time but go on to Indy (yeah... weird choice)
    We be going in early Dec, so should I stick to Indy on the 3rd place or 1st?
    I would probably stick to doing the Speedway first.

Thanks for restoring some of my sanity!! I WILL be arriving at MK at 7:45 everyday and thanks to your time lapse pictures my whole family is in agreement.

A picture is worth 1,000 words!

won't let you order a nice scotch texhanddoc's Avatar
    Great post. Efficient even during the 3rd week in June /gasp!
    GREGG

Proud DVC owner of:

Stay tuned for more exciting additions to... MY SIGNATURE!!!

Thanks for the advice.

makes josh ride in the passenger seat Rhonda's Avatar
    I copied your blog post to my BFF as a warning to her to not be late-she is ALWAYS late for everything!! I said "this is why I will leave you if you are late" :) (we may not be BFFs by the end of the trip)
    Rhonda (obviously)

2009~CBR
    2010~AKV
    2010~POP
    2011~POR
    2012~ASMo (mom and son trip)
    /with 2 "I won a contest" nights at POFQ!
    2012~POP
    2013~POR
    2014~CBR

Our August 2011 Trip Report

Is the time lapse on the blog somewhere?? Must.see.crowds.

Its in this post form the front page: http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized...-village-haus/

Yeah there can be a big difference in crowds just within the 15 minutes from 8:15am - 8:30am. And you save a substantial amount of time being in the front over arriving at 9am or 9:15am. You'd save more than 30 minutes in line in just the first three or four attractions.

As Josh says, even the thought of "oh, instead of standing in lines for the attractions, getting there very early means I'm standing around for 30-40 mins waiting for the park to open" doesn't fly - you will still definitely wait longer in the attraction queues (especially if you're doing ETWB), and be behind the initial curve the whole morning if you are just "there" at RD instead of close to the two "under the train station" tunnels ready to walk purposefully to your first attraction. We, as many others, use that 30-40 mins to eat a breakfast on the run (cereal or granola bars, gogo squeeze, pieces of fruit, etc.). After that, we apply sunscreen and then the opening show starts. The time is not wasted for us, because we'd be doing breakfast/sunscreen in the hotel room before leaving for the MK anyway.

we followed this strategy for our two rope drop days at mk on the 14th and on the 18th.. didnt see him on the 18th, but we were just a few minutes behind.. thanks to easywdw, the longest we waited for anything in the 7 days we were there was 15 minutes for spaceship earth.. and that was only because of the kids :) On the 14th, we did Belle, Little Mermaid and then headed west. On the 18th we headed east. Just to "brag" about how well we did.. in our first day at epcot (6-17) - 2 rides on soarin and 2 rides on TT, nemo, mission space (the non vomit one..) spaceship earth, and the land - all before 1pm :)

Quote Originally Posted by livibug View Post
    we followed this strategy for our two rope drop days at mk on the 14th and on the 18th.. didnt see him on the 18th, but we were just a few minutes behind.. thanks to easywdw, the longest we waited for anything in the 7 days we were there was 15 minutes for spaceship earth.. and that was only because of the kids :) On the 14th, we did Belle, Little Mermaid and then headed west. On the 18th we headed east. Just to "brag" about how well we did.. in our first day at epcot (6-17) - 2 rides on soarin and 2 rides on TT, nemo, mission space (the non vomit one..) spaceship earth, and the land - all before 1pm :)
    Please provide details on the 2 Soarin'/2 TT strategy followed, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtnap101 View Post
    Please provide details on the 2 Soarin'/2 TT strategy followed, thanks!
    We just did this 2 days ago, except we rode TT 3x thanks to pixie dust!
    At RD we were 2nd through the turnstiles to the left, we were at the farthest right one in the left group of turnstiles(we have tyvek tix.) and went and pulled a TT FP and then rode immediately, we were among the 1st group to go in and ride! Never had that happen before. Then we got to ride a 2nd time directly after the 1st as the CM gave my 6 y.o. a bday present ;)
    Then after riding the 2nd time dh took older kids to SoAT and I went to Soarin to pull a FP.
    After SoAT we rode TT a 3rd time.

We pulled a 2nd FP for Soarin right before we rode it with our 1st FP(return time on 1st one was 12-1, we rode right at 12 as we had to get to an ADR at 12:45) right before lunch with our FP and pulled another one. 2nd Soarin FP return time was 5:10-6:10.

thanks loveysbydesign, that is the type of plan I am going to attempt but livibug mentioned hitting each twice along with Nemo, M:S, SE and The Land before 1pm. I am trying to figure out how riding Soarin and TT twice plus all that other stuff is possible before 1pm. Grab a FP for one, ride it, ride the other, and then get a FP for it as soon as the window opens? I assume it would require a lot of criss-crossing from East to West.

thanks loveysbydesign, that is the type of plan I am going to attempt but livibug mentioned hitting each twice along with Nemo, M:S, SE and The Land before 1pm. I am trying to figure out how riding Soarin and TT twice plus all that other stuff is possible before 1pm. Grab a FP for one, ride it, ride the other, and then get a FP for it as soon as the window opens? I assume it would require a lot of criss-crossing from East to West.
    I don't think doing both TT and Soarin' 2x is possible by 1pm (along with all those others)unless you are going at a very slow time of year.We tour very commando and efficiently and we have not been able to do all that by 1(maybe if you skip lunch???)

check out this thread for more info that may help you http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...569#post159569

At DL they usually are just starting all the cars up first thing and so it takes forever to get on their version of this. Is MK better at it? Are the cars actually ready to go? I don't want to spend an hour on this ride first thing, but the DL one is her favorite and it's one of her only requests for our trip :(.

thanks, I checked out that thread! One thing that that's thwarting me at every turn is that we have a 5yo so single rider at TT is out of the question and that kind of cripples any plan for getting in multiple rides on the same day. Otherwise, we'd FP Soarin', ride Soarin', use the single rider line at TT, and then get a TT FP when the window opens.