Thread: Disney World - February 2014

Disney World - February 2014

Hey everyone! My wife and I are planning a trip to Disney world with our daughter. I've been lurking on these forums and googling like crazy trying to get all the information I can, but its hard to find some information. So I thought I'd just toss a couple questions out there and see if anyone can offer some suggestions.

First off, we'd like to go sometime the first half of 2012 for maybe 7 days. My personal priority is to avoid the crowds, so I was thinking the first week of February (I want January, but my wife is going to be in Vegas...). I see what the average temperatures are for that time of year (50's/70's), but has anyone been there during February? Is too cold to get in the pools? My daughter would spend all day in a pool if I let her. So if she's not able to even get in a pool, we might reconsider when we go.

Second, I have my heart set on the Polynesian. When I was a kid, as a family our first trip to DW we stayed at the Poly, so its sort of reliving past experiences thing. Plus I thought since she's just 4 it would be easier on her (and us) to be able to just take the monorail rather than dealing with buses. Then I saw some of the Value hotels like Art of Animation and it looks like she would love the themes. So I'm torn between the Polynesian and other (cheaper) options. I know this is more personal opinion thing, but wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

Third, from a technical perspective, what's the best way to go about buying tickets. More specifically, when can I buy tickets for 2014? And how early should I buy them? The Disney site doesn't let you buy them yet and I'm not sure about other sites like UndercoverTourist. Should I go with a package thing through Disney or can I save a lot of money if I buy things separately? I'm a crazy planner and I'm not sure if I'm being neurotic thinking about it this far in advanced. I've also read that Disney will have discounts at certain times of the year, but they all seem to be near the end of the year. Would it be too long to wait till then to get make reservations?

Thanks for any input you have!

You'd probably be better off asking those three questions separately, and placing them in the applicable forum. More eyes would see them, and 1 answer takes a lot less time for someone to type out than three! (We're helpful-- but some of us are lazy!)

Weather is a dangerous thing to plan your vacation around. Feb. can be frigid or 80s. But the evening will most likely be cold. Of course, this year-- you could say the same thing for April down there! Which is why I say planning around weather can be tough. But, early March might be more secure weather wise.
    Generally speaking though, crowds are much less of an issue than you'd think, so long as you don't go during spring break or a major holiday.

I think you should ask the resort question in the resort forum, because as you have mentioned- this is budget and personal choice. But I wll mention something that people tend to not think about. If you don't have a car, dining is a lot more easily logistically if you are on the monorail. You can be in the parks til 3, and still have multiple options for dinner. If you are at a value, you will have to eat in your food court, or go back out. Getting to another resort can take a LONG TIME.

As far as tickets-- this should be the very last thing you do. Once you buy them-- you can't get a package. So, wait until you have other things figured out. Disney doesn't discount tickets, and even the brokers discounts, though nice, aren't enough to make me purchase them before I know exactly what I'm doing. I see people over buy tickets all the time. Lots of 7 day hoppers, when all they need is 5 day base.
    www.HelpAroundtheMouse.com
    .... When you just want someone to plan Disney for you... or your client!
    Email: Info@HelpAroundtheMouse.com

Quote Originally Posted by apocalyps3 View Post
    First off, we'd like to go sometime the first half of 2012 for maybe 7 days. My personal priority is to avoid the crowds, so I was thinking the first week of February (I want January, but my wife is going to be in Vegas...). I see what the average temperatures are for that time of year (50's/70's), but has anyone been there during February? Is too cold to get in the pools? My daughter would spend all day in a pool if I let her. So if she's not able to even get in a pool, we might reconsider when we go.
    We love going in late January or early February. The crowds are light and the resort prices are as low as they will get since it is Value season.

For the weather, we personally love it, but anything is warmer than Wisconsin in January, which is also part of the reason we go. We have been able to use the pools 2 of the last 3 trips (2010 was too cold). We don't consider the pool a high priority, just a bonus if we are able to. For example on this last trip it was highs in the upper 70's and lower 80's for the first 4 days, then highs around 70 for the next 5 days, then it got back up to the upper 70's again after that.

The days with highs around 70 were a little too cool for us to use the pool (not that it stopped other people, by the way... and the main pools are heated, just cold to get out of). The only real change we had to make was wearing a light jacket to the parks in the morning, since it started off a little cool, or for the evening shows. (lows can get into the 40's on these days... but it warms up nicely during the morning).

Looking at Weather Underground, here are a the "actuals" from our recent trip:
    January 27 - High 80, Low 48
    January 28 - High 78, Low 63
    January 29 - High 85, Low 61
    January 30 - High 84, Low 63
    January 31 - High 71, Low 50
    February 1 - High 70, Low 40
    February 2 - High 72, Low 41
    February 3 - High 72, Low 44
    February 4 - High 71, Low 38
    February 5 - High 77, Low 40
    February 6 - High 79, Low 57

Note that the historical average this time of year is High 72, Low 50. But you can see the variation both above and below the average.

If you want to look at other dates (or previous years) for some actual temps rather than just averages, here is a link for Feb 1 2013 to get you started:
    http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html
    Micah

MousePerks Android Apps and Mobile Website
    Apr '87 - offsite; Feb '91 - offsite; Feb '04 - offsite; Feb '10 - Pop; Jan '12 - ASSp (Report); Jan/Feb '13 - Pop (Report); Jan/Feb '14 - VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 - POR (Report); Aug '14 - SSR; Jan '15 - VGF/AKV/OKW

If your dates are flexible, I'd go later than Feb. if being in the pool is a priority. We went in early May one time and the weather was very good. We went this past Feb. and we could swim for three days, although it was a little too cold for DH and me. DS4's lips started to turn a little blue too. But we're southerners so we require it to be a little warmer to swim comfortably. Then later in the week, there was a cold front, and the pool was out of the question. Although touring the parks is much more pleasant in 50-60 degree weather than 80-90 degree weather. Personally, if I had my heart set on the Poly and wanted to spend a lot of time in the pool i'd go later.
    Brandi

May 2011~CBR; May 2012~POR
    Feb. 2013~Windsor Hills;May 2013~Windsor Hills
    Mar. 2014~Windsor Hills; July 2014~Windsor Hills

he's right
    but has anyone been there during February? Is too cold to get in the pools?
    My "normal" week is late Feb/early Mar. The weather then is a little bit of everything. We think of weather in three different categories:

* Warm: everyone willing to swim.
    * Kid-Warm: kids willing to swim, parents are not.
    * Cold: no chance.

We are from Michigan, and my kids swim competitively (one plays H2O Polo), so we are not picky about swimming temperatures. Even so, in a typical late Feb/early Mar week, we expect to see 1-2 Warm Days, another 1-2 Kid Warm days, and and 2-4 Cold days. Some years we might not get a Warm day at all. Some years we might only get one (or even no) Cold day(s). You just never know what you'll get until it happens.

Edited to add: I agree with Brandi. If you want the pool to be a huge priority and have lots of guaranteed time there, you might be better off going after Spring Break season ends. In 2014, Easter is *really* late (4/20), so that means getting into May.

The weather is just too unpredictable. I went the first week of March this year and it was cold. There was a record breaking low temp of 31 our first night there. It only got warm enough one day to swim. And by warm enough I mean it got up to 74 degrees. So, if swimming is important, you may need to push it into May like previously suggested.
    ~Brandi

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    First off, we'd like to go sometime the first half of 2012 for maybe 7 days. My personal priority is to avoid the crowds, so I was thinking the first week of February
    Looks like you've checked the crowd calendars. That's a good week crowd-wise, definitely.

but has anyone been there during February? Is too cold to get in the pools? My daughter would spend all day in a pool if I let her. So if she's not able to even get in a pool, we might reconsider when we go.
    Everyone else has already tackled the weather question, I'll just say that we've been there anywhere from the 18th of January to the 15th of February, and we had our coldest day ever on February 12th 2 years ago - below freezing at 9am with a stiff breeze blowing to make it feel even colder. Generally though we have at least 2 or 3 days that are very comfortable for swimming - that same trip with the freezing weather, we'd been at the water park just a few days before!

Second, I have my heart set on the Polynesian. When I was a kid, as a family our first trip to DW we stayed at the Poly, so its sort of reliving past experiences thing. Plus I thought since she's just 4 it would be easier on her (and us) to be able to just take the monorail rather than dealing with buses. Then I saw some of the Value hotels like Art of Animation and it looks like she would love the themes. So I'm torn between the Polynesian and other (cheaper) options. I know this is more personal opinion thing, but wondering if anyone had any thoughts.
    Even at a monorail resort, you'll be dealing with the buses for 2 of the parks (if you're planning on all 4 parks). Regarding if you'd be happy with a value resort, that depends on what kind of accommodations you are happy with elsewhere. If you are happy with Super 8 and similar properties, then you'll enjoy the value resorts, if you're used to Hilton, Marriott, etc, then sticking with deluxe resorts will probably make you happier.

Don't look at the prices for Disney resorts to determine their quality - the prices are way high compared to similar properties off-site. Look at what they are rated to determine their quality level - so a Value (even if it costs the price of a Deluxe resort offsite) is definitely similar in amenities to a 2-star location elsewhere. That said, the themeing, the quality of the employees, the upkeep in the rooms, is generally above what you'd find elsewhere in a 2-star.

Third, from a technical perspective, what's the best way to go about buying tickets. More specifically, when can I buy tickets for 2014? And how early should I buy them?
    As Mousehelper already mentioned, wait to buy your tickets. Many times a package deal will come up that requires ticket purchase.