Thread: Tusker House after AK closes ?

living life to its fullest 3Caballeros's Avatar

Tusker House after AK closes ?

I've made a 6:30pm ressie for Tusker House in the AK when the park closes at 6pm. Anyone done this before ? Have any feedback ? I was thinking it would be nice (although it may be dark) to use up every ounce of park touring time and then relax at one of our favorite restaurants and exit with an empty park. We've never had dinner at TH, only lunch (before they added characters to the mid-day meal).

This is Kenzi - my dear boy

I'm Mitzi

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    We had a ressie for a few minutes before the park closed, and it was really nice to exit the park at night with very few people around. There weren't many people in the restaurant with us either - maybe 15 other tables full?

Will you be driving or using the buses? If it'll be by bus, then I'd probably be a little worried that you'll be getting out more than an hour after park close and that transportation might be a hassle.

What date?

Sat., Sept. 21

I'm Mitzi

We'll be driving so the transportation won't be an issue.

Thanks!

I'm Mitzi

I'm Mitzi

Since you'll be driving, I think it's a great idea. The only issue would be what you'll do for the 30 minutes after the park closes and before your reservation. I guess you could go check in early after maybe riding EE one last time.

I would expect a 7pm close then. They don't ordinarily offer reservations after the parks close.

I got the park hours from here: http://www.easywdw.com/calendar/sept...ar/#more-10620

Are you suggesting that they will make it a 7pm closing but just haven't posted it, yet ?

I'm Mitzi

Tusker House is so dead for dinner that I'm not sure why they would accept reservations 30 minutes after the rest of the park closes. It's also sort of curious that the only reservation that comes up when you put in 7pm is 6:30pm. Usually it would offer three openings. So it's either a glitch, the system knows that the close is going to be extended by an hour as we get closer to September, or for whatever reason Disney has decided to seat people at Tusker House 30 minutes after regular close.

Thanks, Josh!
    Why do you think TH is so dead at dinner ? I've only eaten lunch there but really enjoyed it.

I got the same thing when I tried to put in 7pm for an ADR. I'd love a later closing - I hope that's the case. I'll keep the 6:30 I have until it's a confirmed 7pm closing.... then, I'll try for 7 or later :)

I'm Mitzi

It's just not on people's lists for whatever reason. I'm sure it would be much more popular if it was called Mickey's Safari Dinner. So I give Disney credit for trying to keep things authentic. You can see what I think about it here: http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized...nimal-kingdom/

Similar to the op's question: we have 8pm adr on 4/5 with an 8pm park close, BUT have to rely on disney bus back to resort. Do you think it will be a problem catching a bus? We're doing a late start in the park and want to make the most of pre-closing time. Sorry to hijack but this post made me wonder... thx!

Buses run regularly at least an hour after the park closes, they'll continue to run for awhile after that depending on how many people are still needing transportation. Disney will not leave you stranded at the park with no transportation, but it might take longer than expected to get transportation if you're more than an 1.5 hours after park close.

Because it's a buffet, it's easy to know about how long it will take you to eat. If your family likes to dawdle over dinner and usually takes more than an hour at a buffet, you might want to bump your ressie up to 7:45. If you're usually done in less than an hour, you'll be fine.

Thanks Pam. I will be dining with DH and our three boys. Probably done in 10 minutes ha!

Hmmm...thanks for the link to the review josh. I'm intrigued now- never really considered th, but maybe as dinner. DGF isn't a big boma fan and I am, maybe this could make us both happy?

Thanks for the link, Josh! I see you wrote that review of Tusker House in the summer. Disney was not on my radar at that point so I totally missed your article. Fantastic review of TH dinner - thank you so much! I am so excited about our TH ADR this September!

I'm Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by 3Caballeros View Post
    Thanks, Josh!
    . I'd love a later closing - I hope that's the case. I'll keep the 6:30 I have until it's a confirmed 7pm closing.... then, I'll try for 7 or later :)
    We plan on being at AK on the 21st. A later closing would be nice as it is our only full day at AK.

Ive never eaten there...wow!! I think people just aren't aware of what it offers...now I have more difficult choices to make!...we usually get a res at Y&Y for closing time, its peaceful, the only 'problem' we had was the feeling of being rushed but seeing as its buffet you shouldnt have that issue, unless of course they start picking up the food and sweeping the floors while your there!
    ha!

we did the 8:00pm ADR in January the Saturday of MLK weekend with AK closing at 8:00. We had flow in the day and went to AK about 4:00. We hit the headliners and had really no wait for anything. Did Everest multiple times that evening before dinner. Tusker House only had maybe 5-6 families; so the meal was a quiet relaxed way to wrap up our busy travel day.

We thought the food was varied and very good especially considering it is a buffet. By the time we left the park was empty. The park was softly lit and we had a slow walk out. We took plenty of photos and had a chance to enjoy the little things about the park and nice unobstructed views of the tree. I would strongly recommend a closing ADR at Tusker House and I bet it's an easy ADR to get. We plan to do it again next year.

Going back over our plans for our trip next week- I booked th for dinner on the 15th at 6:30, and ak still shows a 6pm close...think theyll change it closer to that day, or is it just an oddity?

Two years ago, in Sept I had a Tusker House reservation for after park close. The park closed at 5 that night I think and I had a 5:15 dinner reservation. It was great, there was no one in there, and the service was good (the chef there was great with DD's allergies). And I loved the food. When we walked out it felt like we were the only people in the park.

The only thing I want to warn you about is the shuttle if you are driving. T hey stopped running the shuttle to the parking lot an hour after close. So my parents who joined us that day had to walk to their car. Not a big deal, just something for you to be aware of. And the busses they do run aren't like normal. They will have one bus there to fill up with several families who slowly come out and they will go to all their resorts to drop them off. So it could take a lot longer to get back to your resort as well. It was no big deal for DH, DD and I as it was nice to relax on an air conditioned bus, but I've never minded long bus rides, I just hate crowded ones.