12/1/15 Update: Menu updated to reflect the change to barbecue food instead of burritos and rice bowls. Burritos etc. can now be found next door at Pecos Bill.
Location: Across from the entrance to Pirates of the Caribbean in Adventureland.
Food Type: Barbecue.
Dining Plan: One Quick Service credit and some items count as snacks.
Unique Items: All items are served on Texas toast, which is unique. The barbecue chicken and brisket aren’t available elsewhere and the salad is unique.
- Relatively unique food.
- There’s usually plenty of seating.
- Convenient location to Main Street, Adventureland, and Frontierland.
- It operates “seasonally,” which means it may not be open at all when crowds are lower. When it does operate, it’s almost always just from 11am – 3pm, so dinner isn’t an option.
- Prices are high for the quality.
- Not a particularly unique space.
Value: Below average. Prices are high considering the portion and quality and the location isn’t really anything to write home about, though you do have the opportunity to watch the people walking through Adventureland across from Pirates of the Caribbean.
Reputation: It doesn’t have much of one since it’s rarely open and just changed to a barbecue menu in September of 2015. Overall reviews are mixed and you can likely do better next door at Pecos Bill.
Tortuga Tavern usually has plentiful seating in several rooms. Tables on the patio have a view of Pirates of the Caribbean and the Adventureland promenade, while indoor tables are darker and cooler. You may also take your food to nearby Pecos Bill, which is located further up in Frontierland.
Covered seating inside is also available.