Food Type: Norwegian, American.
Location: Norway on the right side of the Pavilion. While most of World Showcase opens at 11am, the path to Akershus in Norway is open beginning at 8am and guests are free to walk up to the restaurant from Future World.
How It Works: Akershus is a little different than other buffets. For the all-you-care-to-eat breakfast, the hot items will be brought to the table by a waiter and served family style. You may also enjoy the “cold bar” that features a variety of pastries, yogurts, and fruit For lunch and dinner, there is a cold bar with bread, salads, sliced meats, cheeses, fish, and a variety of other chilled foods. You may go to the cold bar as often as you like. Instead of a family style meal, lunch and dinner feature a set menu where guests choose an entree. Dessert is served family style with several options.
Dining Plan: One Table Service
Breakfast (8am – 11:10am): $42 for adults, $24 for children ages 3 – 9
Lunch (11:55am – 3:30pm): $43 for adults, $25 for children
Dinner (4:55pm – Park Close): $49 for adults, $26 for children
Discounts: 20% Tables in Wonderland.
Setting: The restaurant is a beautifully themed 14th century Scandinavian castle. High-beamed ceilings, leaded-glass windows, and archways compliment the white stone interior. Each meal features four to five princesses. Snow White, Ariel, Aurora, and Cinderella are usually present and Mary Poppins and Mulan make special appearances as well. Guests take pictures with Belle before being seated, but she does not meet table-side.
Imaging Package: Akershus is one of only a few character meals that offer the imaging package complimentary as part of the cost of the meal. You will receive:
- One Professional Photo Package, for groups of up to 4 Guests
- 2 Professional Photo Packages, for groups of 5 to 8 Guests
- 3 Professional Photo Packages, for groups of 9 to 12 Guests
Each Photo Package includes:
- One 6″ x 8″ and four 4″ x 6″ prints
- Beautifully themed photo holder
- Great castle atmosphere.
- Imaging package is a nice bonus and most pictures turn out well.
- Breakfast buffet offers a wide variety of fantastic entrées and sides, including the potato casserole which is exceptional. Breakfast is the stand out meal with better food and a wider variety of options. The cold bar at lunch and dinner offers a nice selection of Norwegian staples along with plenty of options that cater to the Americanized palate.
- Character interaction is as good as or better than Cinderella’s Royal Table and the price is about $20 less per person.
- Expensive and you’re paying for the imaging package whether you want it or not.
- The restaurant is always busy and tables are close together. Reservations, particularly for breakfast, are difficult to score unless you book 180 days in advance.
- Character interaction is usually a quick autograph and photo, but the princesses do lead kids around the restaurant in fun parades, allowing for additional photo opportunities.
- The lunch and dinner entrees are hit or miss quality wise and may not be appealing to those with limited palates. Portions tend to be on the small side.
Tips: Most people will want to skip the 8am breakfast. Booking one means a very early wakeup and by the time you’re finished with a very expensive breakfast, waits at the priority attractions like Soarin’ and Test Track will already be long. It’s also a trek up to Norway from the main entrance or International Gateway and then another trek all the way back to Future World. Consider a breakfast as close to 11:10am as possible. You’ll have about two hours to tour Future World in low crowds before it’s time to head for breakfast or have an opportunity to sleep in.
Value: It depends on your situation, expectations, and what you’re looking for in the meal. This is one of the better values on the Dining Plan. Out of pocket, it’s less expensive than Cinderella’s Royal Table and includes the same imaging package and similar princess interaction. The food isn’t worth the cost of the meal, but the whole package might.
Reputation: Akershus is highly rated, especially for a buffet style meal at breakfast. The princess interaction is as good as you’ll receive anywhere and this is one of the easiest ways to meet five princesses in a short amount of time.